Escape to the Movies: Snow White and the Huntsman

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Quite a shame, the trailer made this Movie look *really* good. I guess the trailer did its job.

I wonder if female movie buffs are patronised by this new obsession of female movies with love triangles? As a penis I'll never know.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
malestrithe said:
Tanooki Mario figure took 23 years to make? I prefer the frog suit anyway because of its wonderful uselessness.

DVS BSTrD said:
Are you team Huntsman or team Charming?
I'm against the pasty looking one, so probably the mighty Thor.
Most men are against the idea of rooting for Kristen Stewart.
I know I don't. She really does nothing for. She is generic Hollywood cute, much like Jennifer Hewitt, Eliza Dushku, Sarah Michelle Gellar, and a lot of shows on TV.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Look like I was wrong being this week going to be the Prometheus review. (So next next week then?)

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
Well, I'm seeing it anyway, since my girlfriend has made the logical leap of "If my girly movie has lots of swords and magic, maybe my boyfriend will be able to tolerate it," so I hope it's not too bad. I was sort of hoping Ms. Stewart might not be too bad as a lead role, and perhaps the stigma surrounding her was just a result of the movies she's been in thus far, but apparently not. And, at the risk of sounding cruel, I'm really not seeing her as 'the fairest of them all.'

Still, on the plus side, it certainly looks visually interesting, and I have strong suspicions that this is the best deal I'll get as far as a 'date movie' goes (unless someone releases a decent crime flick soon).

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I think Snow White's lack of character could largely be blamed on Kristen Stewart being incapable of making any facial expressions.

If Hollywood wants to remake a Disney film with a dark bent, they should go for The Little Mermaid and actually base it on the original story.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
This was one I was planning to see on DVD anyway and this review confirms it. As borish/uneducated as it may sound, sometimes you want films where you don't really care whats going on as long as whats going on is entertaining (Independence Day good version of this, Transformers bad) and this seems to fit the bill.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I would have probably loved this as a kid.
A female protagonist? Who kicks ass?

I was so frustrated as a kid because of the lack of such characters, and I was a fan of retelling of fairytales (or their older, more gruesome versions).

Too bad it's apparently not too good, although I'll still probably check this out, maybe on DVD.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
I thought Snow White was popular due to the fact it's 50-year copyright has expired and so ripe for the taking.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Varya said:
Aptspire said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Are you team Huntsman or team Charming?
Here is what I have come to hate from this generation of fans. I mean, this kind of focus didn't even exist before Twilight came out (there were no "teams" in Harry Potter at first...)
That's a load of bull, I remember the "Team Angel or Team Spike discussion" and since I have a brother only a year younger, there was not a franchise where we weren't picking a "team" so that we could argue/fight over who was the greatest all the time. I do agree that the mentality is crap, but it's not new.
Yeah, there were anime franchises that were since the early 90s at least [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=919].

And seriously--Kirk vs. Picard debates go back to the beginning of Star Trek:TNG ca. 1987.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
I generally dont watch anything with Kristen Stewart in it as she has all the acting ability of a block of wood that someone drew a face on.

Suprisingly good array of actors as the dwarves though,

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I read an interview with the screenwriter at Io9 where he claimed his original story for the script (almost 10 years ago) was basically a sword & sorcery version of Léon: The Professional [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110413/], where the Huntsman would be a Jean Reno-style grizzled older badass who takes Snow White under his wing and trains her to kill the Queen. I would love to see that movie.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
So, Snow White & the Huntsman sucks, what a shock...

Also, is it just me, or does Bob have a very unhealthy obsession with The Tanooki Suit?

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Damn it Hollywood, you have a perfectly good love heptagon built right into the story as well as a perfectly good resolution: have Kristen Stewart's Snow White in a seven dwarf orgy!

You can make it PG-13 tasteful, have her swoon over them, have them go on romantic dates to the medieval mall or wherever and then a delightful scene of her looking longingly at a table full of handsome if short dudes before a fade to black. Then afterwards she can drink a poisoned apple Jamba Juice and fall asleep, and the dwarves and the prince can duke it out.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I think they also figured out the villain was the only good thing in the entire movie, since all the marketing is either focussed on her, or the WE HAVE AN AVENGER.

Although, when your lead girl has an emotional range of an unpainted wall, that can be forgivable.

UncleAsriel

Pleasantly Lurking
Feb 13, 2008
I was curious to see if Bob'd be any comparison to other fairy-tale-with-a-dark-twist movies like the Sigourney Weaver TV Movie or The Company of Wolves whose selling points are less the complexity of the lead heroine and more of the trials surrounding her: a woman's allegorical coming-of-age story with an everywoman in the lead encountering symbolic obstacles on her journey to womanhood.

I'm tempted to see it soley for the visuals, but I'd be lying if I said I'll follow through with the temptation. Ultimately, I'm going to pass this until DVD, but it looks beautiful.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
"Cute"? She always looks like she just finished bawling her eyes out before the camera started rolling and she probably bleeds chalk. That's not cute unless you have a fetish for drowned Geisha girls.
I'm gonna have to commit that to memory, because it is the best assessment of Kristen Stewart I've seen yet.

Anyway, I'm probably not going to see this movie. I don't think one actor is a good enough reason to watch something.

K4RN4GE911

Apr 27, 2010
A shame to see this movie's potential squandered and wasted. I was rather hoping it would be above average, but instead we get Disney Princess meets elements of Twilight/Hunger Games.

I might wait until Netflix to watch this. After all, one of the Avengers is in this movie.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
...So in other words, Charlize Theron is to this movie what Alan Rickman was to Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves?