Escape to the Movies: Son of God

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Son of God

MovieBob checks out this slimmed down movie version of The History Channel's The Bible mini-series.

Watch Video

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
As a Christian, this movie and the intent behind it just makes me think "God I hate Christians" Nice bit at the beginning though.

Jan 12, 2012
Just saw the first commercial for this yesterday during the Vikings premiere, and I was thoroughly confused. Glad to know that this is just the recut miniseries, and not a full-fledged Jesus movie I somehow missed for months on end.

Does anyone else want to see a movie based on the Apostles? Christ is Risen and gone to heaven, and they are charged with going forth and preaching His message with their human faith no longer buoyed by His presence. I think it could be a really great character drama, and you can have fancy special effects for things like the Conversion of Saul/Paul [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_of_Paul_the_Apostle].

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
Funny review an' all, but I can't tell you how little I care about this movie or any movie like this. Probably wouldn't have even heard of it if it wasn't for this review.

It'd totally be awesome for Jesus to be in the Avengers though. Someone definitely needs to make that.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I actually saw part of this mini-series, back when it was on The History channel! I thought it was interesting. didn't think they'd theatrically release it though...

Also, this is the first time I've heard of this "Pixels" thing...

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Ben-Hur probably is the best version of Jesus put to film. Until the ending: Literal (I'm not abusing that word) Deus Ex Machina much. Fuck that movie.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Jesusploitation, just as tasteless as Brucesploitation and twice as tacky.
Good intro though Bob, you had me going there for a minute lol!

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
My parents watched The Bible last year and tried to get me to watch it. I went to bed because I had to work that night. /csb

I'd really like a good new movie to come out now please. I've seen The Lego Movie.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
You know I'd like to see the Jesus story told from a non-mythological perspective, portraying his life as a series of incidents that while not supernatural, some might exaggerate to the point that when someone got around to writing his tale a century or more later it comes out sounding like he's got super powers. I'd like to see him portrayed as something of a rabble-rouser, definitely aimed at doing good but ultimately merely human and burdened by his frustrations with the corruption running society around him until ultimately he's labelled a criminal and suffers a brutal execution at the hands of the wealthy elite who are the heart of the corruption and want to make an example of him. This kind of 1% vs. Jesus idea would strike a few chords these days and while I'm sure those who defend the privilege of the wealthy to push others around won't see it that way, maybe we'll get a few of those bible-thumping activists to stop pretending that their "faith" gives them the right to exploit capitalism to the detriment of others with this "we need God in government" crap.

Merklyn236

Jun 21, 2013
Was this the only new release this week? Good grief, how much longer till the good stuff starts back up again!?!

I have to agree with something others have already expressed here: As a Christian, I can't help but feel that something like this (which stinks of an obvious cash grab) is just wrong. I think I'd have more respect for the filmmakers if they'd announced before release that all of the proceeds were going to charity.

Also FWIW, MovieBob, I agree that Ben-Hur might very well be the best version of the Gospel made by Hollywood.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Really? There was nothing to see this weekend other than this drek that made the cut other than this? You couldn't even do a "why the Robocop reboot is bad Part II?"

*Sighs and watches the video*

Wow... So they they made a highlights reel for a terrible TV miniseries and released it as a feature movie that somehow was even worse? Oh Christian filmmakers, you never fail to disappoint...

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
so.. they just cut a chunk out of the History channel show to stitch/Frankenstein together a movie to cash grab? wow... This is pretty stumbling... (As a Christ follower) Head desk...

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Just saw the first commercial for this yesterday during the Vikings premiere, and I was thoroughly confused. Glad to know that this is just the recut miniseries, and not a full-fledged Jesus movie I somehow missed for months on end.

Does anyone else want to see a movie based on the Apostles? Christ is Risen and gone to heaven, and they are charged with going forth and preaching His message with their human faith no longer buoyed by His presence. I think it could be a really great character drama, and you can have fancy special effects for things like the Conversion of Saul/Paul [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_of_Paul_the_Apostle].
Could be really interesting, but there is a much higher chance whatever plot or drama it would have would be hijacked by a christian apologist agenda either during of after release and we would end up with a propaganda-piece masquerading as art.
For example, in your idea the apostles' faith would be tested because Jesus's presence no longer anchors them. This would be a very interesting concept, but it will never fly because it would require the movie being ambiguous about the existence of God and Jesus being the messiah we know him today (otherwise there would be no crisis of faith), which would never ever be accepted by the studio execs since they make this movie to sell it to the christian Average Joe who would be alienated by the very concept (or, at the least, they would think so).

I could see it happen in an indie-film though...

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
At least the History Channel still occasionally uses the reality TV/panderfest money to make a Russia: Land of the Tsars or get involved with Bonnie and Clyde. You just have to put up with this stuff while they pay the bills.

So really, having this stuff out there is a small price to pay for the channel to not go *full* TLC on us.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Why "Son of God" this week and "Pompii" last week. "The Wind Rises" hit limited release last week, and wide release this week. Surely one of those 2 movies could have been dropped in favor of a Miyazaki release.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
This looks like one seriously sad and disposable film.

@The Gentleman: That's more of a Big Picture episode...I think. Probably.

@SnakeOilSage: I think what you've described was done quite well in The Life Of Brian. Except he's not Jesus, he's...well, Brian.