Escape to the Movies: Son of God

Rangerboy87

Jul 1, 2011
As a Christian, I like how Bob handled this. Kept his review professional and judged the movie as it is, not as a religious soapbox to preach one way or another. I was curious how it would turn out.

OT: Yea I didn't plan on seeing this anyway. Knowing it's a cash-in for TV miniseries is just extra motivation. This just embarrasses me as a Christian. When people try to use religion as a cash grab is just awful.

At least Passion offered a different, more realistic look at Jesus' suffering. At least it was trying to say something besides "Hey, it's Jesus! Give us your money!"

Robot-Jesus

Aug 29, 2011
I thought Bob was going for a superman joke, another thing I'm a non believer about. they way superman fans talk about the guy sound like any other religion to me.

SnakeoilSage said:
You know I'd like to see the Jesus story told from a non-mythological perspective, portraying his life as a series of incidents that while not supernatural, some might exaggerate to the point that when someone got around to writing his tale a century or more later it comes out sounding like he's got super powers. I'd like to see him portrayed as something of a rabble-rouser, definitely aimed at doing good but ultimately merely human and burdened by his frustrations with the corruption running society around him until ultimately he's labelled a criminal and suffers a brutal execution at the hands of the wealthy elite who are the heart of the corruption and want to make an example of him. This kind of 1% vs. Jesus idea would strike a few chords these days and while I'm sure those who defend the privilege of the wealthy to push others around won't see it that way, maybe we'll get a few of those bible-thumping activists to stop pretending that their "faith" gives them the right to exploit capitalism to the detriment of others with this "we need God in government" crap.

there's a book I don't remember the title of where jesus is just a psyc student who fell into a time machine.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
I think the transition could have been better managed with the sound of a phone ringing and us only hearing your side of the conversation. But otherwise I found it pretty funny.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I wonder or it?s possible to make a Jesus movie that non-Christians can enjoy, I guess there?s always life of Brian.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
"And yea did the Apostles yell on high, "We are VR!" Satan's minions thence shook in fear at the Apostle's now metallic visage." Clearly, there needs to be more biblical/nerd culture cross overs, the hilarity.

OT: When this mini-series was first announced last year, my awful cinema senses were at full tingle and they were not wrong. At least how I saw it, the Jesus half of the series was the weakest portion of an already incredibly weak series -- so of course that's recut into a movie.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Well, we've got "Noah" coming up... that one has Russel Crowe in it, so it has to be good, right? RIGHT?!

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
But Jesus was an Avenger, his name was Daimon Hellstrom, never mind he was just a Defender.

Not surprised to hear that the production values were kind of crappy, I mean it was a TV miniseries for a cable network. Also, never heard of this movie which means Lego Movie is most likely #1 at the box office again which is awesome (Emmet truly was god's chosen).

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Um... Bob... regarding your second end credit message...

Have you actually sat down and watched the original Godzilla from 1954? Because, yeah, the series as a whole may have diminished into the silly, the original movie (which the new one purports to be following the lead on) is an entirely different beast compared to what came after it (no pun intended... oh, who am I kidding? Pun very much intended).

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'm quite disturbed by how perfectly shaped and bright the teeth are in this film. I know it's actors but really, they didn't have amazing dental care back then.

That bit at the beginning was pretty good, I thought you were being serious until you brought up the Avengers. Shame the film looks like it'll suck but oh well, we do have better films in it's history.

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
Actually what would Jesus bring to the Avengers if he was there...

Approximation of powers [thru google search]:
Healing, necromancy, or the White Mage
Expert Carpenter
Telepathy demonstrated when he got all those fish
Hydrokinetic demonstrated by controlling the ocean tides and his ability to walk on water
Weather control [after his disciples were panicking he got up and told the storm to put a lid on it]
Plant control [he told a out of season fig tree to never make anymore figs]
Self Revival
Transmutation
Wields a Flame sword mentioned in Revelations atop a flying horse

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
The intro was amazing.

About the movie.
Ough, again with the romans in lorica segmenta made out of leather. Is a one movie using the lorica hamata too much to ask? Or at least a segmenta made out of steel? Jeez.
I just recently learned about that movies existence from a friend of mine who just linked me the trailer and said "rooting for rome". Didn't plan to see it anyway. I'm glad I don't miss anything.

Also:
I think we can all agree that there is only one truly great Jesus movie [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MwJOnleriM].

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
What is it with movies these days? Or what is it with MovieBob schedule, for that matters?

I get that with the Oscars just around the corner, the release schedule is poorer than ever, but... first Pompeii, now Son of God and then Noah? Where there no screenings of Non-Stop near you, Bob? Did you thought we wouldn't be interested in Wind Rises?

Its almost like they are taking advantage of the calendar to release every single epic religious movie they couldn't remake from the 50s.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
Eh, I still think Geoffrey Hunter did the best Jesus I've ever seen on film, with a respectable runner-up going to Willem DaFoe

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
SnakeoilSage said:
You know I'd like to see the Jesus story told from a non-mythological perspective, portraying his life as a series of incidents that while not supernatural, some might exaggerate to the point that when someone got around to writing his tale a century or more later it comes out sounding like he's got super powers. I'd like to see him portrayed as something of a rabble-rouser, definitely aimed at doing good but ultimately merely human and burdened by his frustrations with the corruption running society around him until ultimately he's labelled a criminal and suffers a brutal execution at the hands of the wealthy elite who are the heart of the corruption and want to make an example of him. This kind of 1% vs. Jesus idea would strike a few chords these days and while I'm sure those who defend the privilege of the wealthy to push others around won't see it that way, maybe we'll get a few of those bible-thumping activists to stop pretending that their "faith" gives them the right to exploit capitalism to the detriment of others with this "we need God in government" crap.
Sorry to tell you this, but the mythic Jesus "is" the only Jesus. There are no records of him, his deeds, or anything else about his life in the orthodox documentation of history by historians. The gospels is where Jesus lived. You can't make a biopic of a man's life, when there is no man. It would be like producing a movie telling the true story of Perseus. How could you possibly do that?

Note: I am not wanting a religious battle. My above statement is a fact, not an opinion, or a belief.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Kmadden2004 said:
Um... Bob... regarding your second end credit message...

Have you actually sat down and watched the original Godzilla from 1954? Because, yeah, the series as a whole may have diminished into the silly, the original movie (which the new one purports to be following the lead on) is an entirely different beast compared to what came after it (no pun intended... oh, who am I kidding? Pun very much intended).
Yeah, the original Gojira was almost a cosmic horror story. It was about characters dealing with a monster that nothing seem to be able to stop, the result of a weapon that had already destroyed two Japanese cities. It was about questions of the use of another weapon that could bring devastation to the world. It explored the mind of a man who could build such a weapon, but still doesn't want it's knowledge being let out. What could push a person to open that Pandora's box?

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
Itchi_da_killa said:
SnakeoilSage said:
Sorry to tell you this, but the mythic Jesus "is" the only Jesus. There are no records of him, his deeds, or anything else about his life in the orthodox documentation of history by historians. The gospels is where Jesus lived. You can't make a biopic of a man's life, when there is no man. It would be like producing a movie telling the true story of Perseus. How could you possibly do that?

Note: I am not wanting a religious battle. My above statement is a fact, not an opinion, or a belief.
Actually that isn't a fact. It's still being debated. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I admit that you got me at the beginning. I honestly thought it was a real review, all the way up to the point where you said, "You have to get the origin story out of the way, so that when the character comes back in the sequel..." That was pretty funny.