Escape to the Movies: Son of God

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Big_Willie_Styles said:
Loki_The_Good said:
Right calling a movie boring, unfaithful to the source material, a quick cash in on the miniseries, and hitting all the big scenes while missing the subtext. All while pointing out several other better movies about Jesus Christ. This was probably the least politically loaded review he could have done. Did you even watch the review or did you just see that a "far-left liberal atheist" doing a review on a Christian movie and decide to drag out your own soap box? The quote you have above doesn't have anything to do with what your saying but is a face palm about the cash grabbing exploitation that is this movie.
Remember, this is the guy who gave "White House Down," "Avatar," and "Elysium" positive reviews.

I loved the mini-series, so putting it into theaters would probably make fantastic viewing. I may in fact do just that later this weekend (if the weather cooperates.)

"Least politically loaded" in the sense, but why is an atheist reviewing a film about Jesus? Who is he really gonna convince? Other atheists will give him a high five, totally, but he'll just alienate his Christian fans.

Yes, because "God, I hate Christians" is exactly what I got out of Bob's review.
Seriously? Cause he reviewed this film alongside several other cinematic adaptations of the New Testament, and his general review was that the filmmakers were exploiting Christians to make money. If anything he didn't say anything about Christians themselves, and went out of his way not to say anything about them.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
scw55 said:
themilo504 said:
I wonder or it?s possible to make a Jesus movie that non-Christians can enjoy, I guess there?s always life of Brian.
If they created a Movie based off a Story from a different religion's book, would you also not enjoy it?

I think your faith is irrelevant to your enjoyment of a Movie based off a narrative from a Religion.

I mean, Thor was popular and that came from a comic that was loosely based off the Norse Mythology. Likewise with movies based off Greek myths. Yes they are myths, but back in the time, they were part of people's Religion.

At the end of day it's a story.
Exactly. Mahabarata is a brilliant film, as is The Last Temptation of Christ. A story is a story. This just happens to be a story that quite a bit of the world worships in some manner (and therefore really knows it well). Dare I say Prince of Egypt was Dreamworks Animation's best film? The Ten Commandments is still better though. Hell, Clash of the Titans was amazing (the original).

I'm most looking forward to Noah, by the way. Mainly because it's an extremely interesting director tackling the story in what looks like an orginal way. That doesn't mean it will be good (Troy is from a visionary director tackling a Great Story in an original way, and it was quite mediocre).

flyingaphorisms

Jul 22, 2013
Big_Willie_Styles said:
Loki_The_Good said:
Right calling a movie boring, unfaithful to the source material, a quick cash in on the miniseries, and hitting all the big scenes while missing the subtext. All while pointing out several other better movies about Jesus Christ. This was probably the least politically loaded review he could have done. Did you even watch the review or did you just see that a "far-left liberal atheist" doing a review on a Christian movie and decide to drag out your own soap box? The quote you have above doesn't have anything to do with what your saying but is a face palm about the cash grabbing exploitation that is this movie.
Remember, this is the guy who gave "White House Down," "Avatar," and "Elysium" positive reviews.

I loved the mini-series, so putting it into theaters would probably make fantastic viewing. I may in fact do just that later this weekend (if the weather cooperates.)

"Least politically loaded" in the sense, but why is an atheist reviewing a film about Jesus? Who is he really gonna convince? Other atheists will give him a high five, totally, but he'll just alienate his Christian fans.

Yes, because "God, I hate Christians" is exactly what I got out of Bob's review.
I'm not sure how his previous review are relevant to this discussion. Also, he's stated before that he's agnostic not atheist, there's a difference.

Anyways, Bob gave a non-political review to the movie and stated the issues he had with it as a movie. I'm not sure where you're extrapolating the "God, I hate Christians" from. Other Christians in this thread have had no problem with this review. Some of them even agreed with him.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
You are wrong Bob. The best Jesus movie was "Life of Brian".
As for this: It is about Jesus... did anyone really think it could be worth anything?

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
I almost wasn't going to watch this video because there was no way I was going to see Son of God, but now I'm glad I did. That intro...great stuff, Bob.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Matt K said:
But Jesus was an Avenger, his name was Daimon Hellstrom, never mind he was just a Defender.

Not surprised to hear that the production values were kind of crappy, I mean it was a TV miniseries for a cable network. Also, never heard of this movie which means Lego Movie is most likely #1 at the box office again which is awesome (Emmet truly was god's chosen).
If they made a Daimon Hellstrom movie I would be there with bells on. Twice as much if they actually just called it "Son of Satan"

Nosferatu2

Feb 9, 2014
Big_Willie_Styles said:
Then you have a sever victim complex. This might be a shocking truth but, you don't matter that much. Most people don't give a shit about you.

Also a lot of Christians I've seen didn't like this movie, so I'm going to call bullshit on this.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
That beginning was great. It made less and less sense as it went on until you started mentioning the Avengers. Then I laughed.

I keep seeing this advertised on TV as being amazing. Who are they getting their quotes from? Everyone hates it and it's kind of sickening how exploitative this is as just a cash grab.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Undomesticated Equine said:
REligion is waste of time and cash as well so i guess this movie captures that part of the deal.
So, you don't feel that humanity benefits from having a concise moral framework?

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
Itchi_da_killa said:
SnakeoilSage said:
You know I'd like to see the Jesus story told from a non-mythological perspective, portraying his life as a series of incidents that while not supernatural, some might exaggerate to the point that when someone got around to writing his tale a century or more later it comes out sounding like he's got super powers. I'd like to see him portrayed as something of a rabble-rouser, definitely aimed at doing good but ultimately merely human and burdened by his frustrations with the corruption running society around him until ultimately he's labelled a criminal and suffers a brutal execution at the hands of the wealthy elite who are the heart of the corruption and want to make an example of him. This kind of 1% vs. Jesus idea would strike a few chords these days and while I'm sure those who defend the privilege of the wealthy to push others around won't see it that way, maybe we'll get a few of those bible-thumping activists to stop pretending that their "faith" gives them the right to exploit capitalism to the detriment of others with this "we need God in government" crap.
Sorry to tell you this, but the mythic Jesus "is" the only Jesus. There are no records of him, his deeds, or anything else about his life in the orthodox documentation of history by historians. The gospels is where Jesus lived. You can't make a biopic of a man's life, when there is no man. It would be like producing a movie telling the true story of Perseus. How could you possibly do that?

Note: I am not wanting a religious battle. My above statement is a fact, not an opinion, or a belief.
While the events of his life are subject to debate, at least one scholar from the time (Titus Flavius Josephus [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavius_Josephus]) made several references to John the Baptist and Jesus "who was called Christ."

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
ah nvm I'm not even going to bother. I'm sad it's going to get a crap load of movies just because people think going to see this is going to prove their faith or what have you.

Iceklimber

Feb 5, 2013
The End is Nigh, the War between Christians and Atheists via these Forum comments is cometh, and thou shall be doomed ! !

Daria.Morgendorffer

Nov 26, 2011
Ishigami said:
You are wrong Bob. The best Jesus movie was "Life of Brian".
THIS!

I'd also like to add *slow clap* for that opening. We were howling over here.

Oh, and if you have the choice to keep Keith David or cut Keith David, you KEEP KEITH DAVID. That's just common sense.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Bob, I love you. I admit I was nervous going into this video, but the opening disclaimer made me feel better (a bit sad that the movie was not good, but I have the Book. The Holy Bible is better 99% of the time.)

Then you got to the Avengers reference and I did a spit-take (PS: you owe me a new number pad, lol). And that is why I come back to your videos time and again.

I may disagree with you, I may even get annoyed at your "Liberalism", but you always seem to be able to ground your videos with good humor like that. So keep up the good work on the videos.

EDIT: I Finish the video, Matt. 21:12, awesome use of reference there.

I loved the VR troopers.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
I liked the book better...

OT: I kinda figured this for a stupid cash grab. It looked terrible from the few commercials. On the comment of Jesus the Avenger...