Escape to the Movies: Spring Breakers

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Jack_in_the_green said:
Well, it's not a surprise Movie Bob did find also "Suckerpunch" to be a "great" movie.... So desperately trying to find any substance when there is none, it's reeaally pathetic.
He really didn't, but that's neither here nor there. And he isn't the only one saying this film has substance.

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
"There are ponies..."

Ugh. Thanks for the warning Mr. Chipman. You have done your good deed for the day, kind sir. This review, although very in-depth already seemed a bit too much like your take on "Suckerpunch"- that being a search for substance where little to none was genuinely present, possibly even inventing it to justify the enjoyment of the film. *shrugs* Either way, with those three words, "Spring Breakers" got it's death knell as far as my purse was concerned. Be giving this one a pass now...

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
OK, let's unwrap this one:

-Borderline-pushing debauchery
-Promise of watching James Franco and a small army of barely-legals cutting the hell loose
-Potential to blow my mind

....let's do this.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Did not see that one coming...
I thought Bob was going to go all american pie on this one

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
Even if this movie has as much substance and depth as Bob says it does, I suspect that it will go right over the heads of most of the movie's target audience.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Sorry Bob, but that sounds pretentious as FUCK. And this wouldn't be the first time you went nuts over a movie that turned out to be a near miss for me. Sometimes you kind of....ignore a film's problems if you really like the idea they were GOING FOR, even if they didn't quite pull it off. (Sucker Punch, Daybreakers, and Splice, for example.) I have a pretty strong feeling that this is one of those.

Oh, and obligatory "In my opinion" statement. Although the fact that everything I just said is my opinion should really just be assumed.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Also, quick question regarding the presence of ponies in this film:
Is it used as an easy target for the sake of mockery?

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Wow now I gotta see this movie, really thought it was going to be another stupid cash in on wild parties, but it does look interesting

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
Well, that was unexpected. I'm certainly still going to avoid this movie like the plague, though that is mostly because I dispassionately loathe my own generation.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Grenge Di Origin said:
The Gentleman said:
Plus, it looks like they're definitely going to end with this one (or at least that's what they're billing it as).
http://www.techxav.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/halo3.jpg
Yes, yes... I remember that. More importantly, I think there was pretty much the same reaction to the news of a new game/trilogy across the gaming world: "Why? It was done. The story was over. The studio doesn't even belong to you anymore. There was literally no reason for you to do this outside of a blatant attempt to make another money geyser. This was completely unnecessary and doesn't exactly endear you to your core base."

Don't get me wrong. I played the game. It is clearly superior in terms of basic metrics (gameplay, graphics, score, story elements, multiplayer, etc.) to the previous five games. But, much like the prequel games (ODST and Reach), the series ended for me at Halo 3 and I played the later games by borrowing.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Huh, so I'm part of generation Y then? I did not know that.

I hate most things to do with my generation and this film seems to contain all of them (excluding ponies!) I can normally endure a subject matter that I find vapid and shallow if the movie itself is supposed to have a deeper meaning, but this... I doubt I could even put myself through it. I mean, dub-step and Britney Spears? Blergh.

The Gentleman said:
Don't get me wrong. I played the game. It is clearly superior in terms of basic metrics (gameplay, graphics, score, story elements, multiplayer, etc.) to the previous five games.
gameplay, graphics, score, story elements, multiplayer, etc.
[HEADING=1]You take that back right now![/HEADING]

Halo 4 may have been many things but its score was nothing next to Martin O'Donnell's original masterpieces.

Come to think of it, I found the gameplay boring as well. Pretty much only the graphics and Chief/Cortana's relationship and character development held up for me. The story itself was poop.

Evilpigeon

Feb 24, 2011
Robot Number V said:
Oh, and obligatory "In my opinion" statement. Although the fact that everything I just said is my opinion should really just be assumed.
I think you're missing the point of the statement. The point of 'in my opinion' is not to inform everyone else that what you're saying isn't gospel truth, it's a device to demonstrate that you're willing to allow others their own points of view. Without qualifiers such as 'in my opinon', 'I find that' etc many people will find you antagonistic, arrogant and closed minded every time you're expressing an opinion they find controvertial.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
ehh... Really honestly, i'm just not interested. i have a group of friends where if want to see barely Legal(or illegal if its friday/saturday night)tits, get drunk and go on chemically induced "adventures", i can. Or at the very least i have a bottle of vodka in the cabinet and the internet. i saw a trailer for this, and really even this review, I can't get my self hyped for it. don't know what to think.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Ponies you say? Well now I'm vaguely interested, also interested in what dubstep skrillex puts in there. I'm no fan of the stuff but I enjoy listening to it all the same, its only a matter of time before I find some I actually like.

You know... after thinking about it, maybe it makes sense other things are in there, its grown so big its now fitting to use in symbolism. I just might have to see this if any friends want to go.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
I'd like to say that I'm surprised most of you would be willing to write something off so easily. Then I remembered where I am.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Dammit, now I want to see it just for the ponies, thanks allot bob.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
MovieBob said:
Spring Breakers

Disney meets Natural Born Killers in the latest Harmony Korine film.

Watch Video
I'm part of generation Y [born in 1994] However as a extremely awkward loner I never really got into the whole teenage party thing [in all my life I have only been to one event that could be considered a "party"] and really hated the jock/cheerleaders growing up,so my question to you mister moviebob: Will I still be able to get/understand/like this movie.