Escape to the Movies: Spring Breakers

TwikTwok

Jan 29, 2011
For the curious here is video exploring Harmony Korine, specifically his 2009 film: Trash Humpers.

http://blip.tv/brows-held-high/brows-held-high-trash-humpers-4678636

For anyone considering going to see Spring Breakers I urge you to watch this so you know what kind of film maker you're dealing with.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
While I respect Bob's opinion as a movie critic (more than any other critic out there in fact) I can't bring myself to even consider seeing this film. See, I hate the content. I hate the Gen Y decadent hedonistic raver generation. I hate, despise and loathe every single thing about them. They make me sick. And I was supposed to be PART of that generation, or at least in the first wave of it (I'm turning 30 this year, graduated high school in 2001). I skipped my own schoolies week (Australian equivalent of the decadant spring break-style end of school celebration) because I just couldn't see the point or the appeal in going somewhere for a week and wasting time, getting drunk, doing drugs, having unsafe sex with either strangers I'd never see again or schoolmates I'd never be able to look at again as a result and getting into trouble with the police. That kind of mindless hedonism just pisses me off. I don't care how intelligent and introspective this movie is, I simply don't want to have to be subjected to that much of the content I despise. Just watching this review made me hate the characters in this movie and hope they come to a horrific end, but not nearly enough to make me want to find out. But that's just my opinion, of course.

OK, rant over.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Why do I suspect its something along the lines of one of the characters fucking a Twilight Sparkle doll... do not want.

Also, to everyone disagreeing with Bob, do you really care? I disagree with him all the time, 'Drag me to Hell' and 'Predators' were terrible and 'Zodiac' was one of the worst films ive ever seen. Sure, it doesn't mean you should just accept it, argue your point if you must but don't make him out to be some sort of Judas.

Flutterbrave

Dec 10, 2009
Dammit, I wanted to just ignore this. Now I have to go to the cinema Bob! You're making me, like, leave the house! And exercise!

Not cool.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Ponies?! Say it isn't so! I mean, I was half-expecting this review to turn out to be an early April Fools joke. But I guess a 60-something on Rotten Tomatoes means enough critics actually liked this film enough for this review to be legit.

As for me, I don't think I want to see Spring Breakers because a movie about such violent wanton debauchery makes me uncomfortable and its very production makes me think humanity's going to Hell. Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to go play Dead Space 3, a wantonly violent game about debacherous cultists attempting to drag humanity to Hell. I wonder if there's a hypocrite achievement.

But then, if half of everything I hear about Spring Break is true, I suspect America's gene pool could become 20% cooler if the swimming pools in Fort Lauderdale were filled with napalm. Maybe this movie just isn't for me, is what I'm saying, because I kinda already find a story about young idiots desperately seeking debauchery, to the point where they'd perform armed robbery to partake, to be tragic enough without it being spelled out to me.

Reading the plot synopsis on Wikipedia, I think Brit and Candy should have ended up getting gunned down in the end for being such craven idiots. Realistically speaking, all four girls would have been fingered for their earlier robbery when they got busted for trashing their hotel room, and the movie would have ended on them being booked for 20 years of prison without bail. But I suppose my story revisions wouldn't have been as interesting of a movie.

planet.tyler

Mar 1, 2012
wow.... I've seen this coming for a while now but I hoped you would redeem yourself, bob, but sadly you have lost me for good on this one :( At one stage I would get up early on a Saturday morning excited to see what new exciting review you had waiting for me, but no longer.... that review was a joke. a bad joke. a bad joke about an even worse movie. there is nothing deeper than debauchery going on here, which is fine if that's your thing, but don't pretend there is depth just to justify being excited about some b grade Disney rejects in bikinis. watching 2 hours of girls gone wild is far more edifying than this pathetic excuse for entertainment!
ps; no one really cares about spring break outside of America so please stop labeling anything to do with it as some kind of cultural touchstone when really its irrelevant to anyone who isn't actually on sprin break in America...

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
PunkRex said:
Why do I suspect its something along the lines of one of the characters fucking a Twilight Sparkle doll... do not want.
From what I've read, it's just them watching it while they're drunk.

Akexi

May 15, 2008
attackshark said:
i'm convinced this is some ill conceived joke on bob's part.
You and I are of the same mind. That said, I admit, I have a serious animosity to people that are being displayed in this movie; the obnoxious douchebags that can do anything they want and excel at it. Since I really doubt the movie is going to end with the women or for that matter Franco being murdered for screwing around too much, I just don't have any gusto to see it. I'm not deluded into thinking that every bad action has a consequence that may get you hurt, but just the whole "robbed a diner, went to spring break, and kept getting what they want with no problem" just epitomizes that douchebag mentality that I have a hatred for.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Isn't that MLP trend dead yet?

Also easy on the spoilers next time, Bob. That Britney Spears piano song is apparently a great scene but I didn't need to know everything that happens.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Duffeknol said:
Isn't that MLP trend dead yet?
Nope, just on haitus as we wait 10ish months for them to churn out some new episodes.

Granted, there was once a point where My Little Ponies was a bigger meme than Forever Alone and Slenderman. Right now it's behind those, at #3 [http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/popular]. Even if it were #10, it would be huge, relatively speaking - to put it in perspective, Adventure Time has about 3.67% as much views So, MLP:FIM is still huge on the Internet, albeit not as huge as it was at its peak, we'll see what future seasons bring.

From what I gather, the big "ponies" inclusion in The Spring Breakers is some OC pony on a wall in a scene. Meh.

Azurian

Oct 27, 2010
What is the trailer to that movie before the end I have no idea what that was about. I hope Superman is good to Bob it doesn't have to blow my mind just be better than Superman Begins!

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Before you reach for your ticket money, remember that this movie makes no attempts to criticize the things the characters do. That will be your job. As Bob said, young teenagers will probably watch this and come out thinking, "Wow! Those characters are awesome. I wish I was like that." It's pretty upsetting stuff if you're disillusioned with this mindset, and you will probably leave feeling depressed and disappointed with society. My main point is, you probably shouldn't go to see this if you're looking to enjoy the experience.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
sageoftruth said:
Before you reach for your ticket money, remember that this movie makes no attempts to criticize the things the characters do. That will be your job. As Bob said, young teenagers will probably watch this and come out thinking, "Wow! Those characters are awesome. I wish I was like that." It's pretty heavy stuff if you're disillusioned with this mindset, and you will probably leave feeling depressed and disappointed with society. My main point is, you probably shouldn't go to see this if you're looking to enjoy the experience.

Like a number of art films (particularly Melancholia for me, ugh!) the objective is to make you ponder rather than to make you feel good. Honestly, like most modern art, I'm not sure if there's really a way to set this apart from the movies that genuinely do try to cash in on teenage naivety, since the main difference is whatever the director was thinking when he made it.
I really wish I could've thought of saying this somehow. I kept wandering back and forth in this thread thinking about what would make sense when bringing up that the movie isn't a piece about consequence, but you pretty much "ten steps ahead'd" the whole thing.

Kudos.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
OlasDAlmighty said:
snowfi6916 said:
OlasDAlmighty said:
Wait, IT HAS POINIES?!?!

Definitely avoiding then.
So, you're gonna not watch a movie simply because it probably makes ONE reference to the show?

Get over yourself.
Were actually I being serious I don't see how it'd make me any more ridiculous than all the people with the exact opposite reaction. Honestly I have no interest in this movie, ponies or no ponies.
Always beware the dreaded Poe's Law.