Escape to the Movies: Star Trek: Into Darkness

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Star Trek: Into Darkness

MovieBob gives us a frank and spoiler filled review of the latest Star Trek film.

Watch Video

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
Spoiler filled? Why?

This means that I can't watch this review.
The general consensus seems to be that it's good, I'll have to go by that - as I don't want a review spoiling the movie.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
Now I am really worried about the upcoming Star Wars movies. Why couldn't it have been Peter Jackson?

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
ascorbius said:
Spoiler filled? Why?

The general consensus seems to be that it's good, I'll have to go by that - as I don't want a review spoiling the movie.
the spoilers come in at the second half of the review, but the short version is that Bob thinks this one sucks.

I'm not going to say much else (don't want to spoil/imply anything), other than if this movie doesn't do well, I wonder if Disney will give Star Wars to someone else.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
Star Wars VII: A Lost Hope

I guess the two years reference was to having to deal with the coming Star Wars disappointment 2 years from now.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Im not a star trek fan, but what is stupid is JJ had the whole ST universe of characters, aliens etc and all he could come up with is "This just redo film 2". Thats just lazy and a lack of imagination. Is this what he will do with the Star Wars, make episode 7, which will just be a remake of 4 but about a kid called Lance Skillwacker learning the force and fight Darth Verder who will be a clone.

Lazy JJ, very, very lazy.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Yes, Bob, you'll have to retread this when Star Wars 7 comes out. I just hope the side movies will be good so I can get at least some good SW movies without the disappointment.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
ascorbius said:
Spoiler filled? Why?

The first half of the review is spoiler free, so you can watch that much and glean Bob's opinion from it if you want, it's just that in order to explain why he holds said opinion properly he has to spoil the movie, which he keeps to the second half.

OT: At least we can still hold out hope that Abrams might have a better time with Star Wars, as its lighter attitude to fantasy and binary light/dark side underpinning of its whole universe may well be much easier for him to grasp and do something decent with... but I'm not holding my breath.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So this review is just a Star Trek fan ranting over why it isn't good?

I mean I thought the film is alright but I know little to nothing about Star Trek especially the very first series, now I feel like I had offended someone for not knowing the previous series. I mean I got some of the references but I pretty much forgotten the Wrath of Khan film.

I do got to agree that it seen rather plain that the next movie is could be another great big reference to the old series or previous first series films yet again instead of trying to come up with something original seeing how the film universe is an alternative timeline or they are not necessary restrictly to follow the same events.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
Grenge Di Origin said:
*sigh* Maybe then I should go see the Wrath of Khan, then? Like Doctor Who, I've always wanted to get into this quintessential nerd franchise but I don't know a good starting point for it. Do I watch the original series, do I watch Next Generation, do I start with the movies? I just don't know...
...but, having stopped before I could get spoiled, I'll probably watch this one anyhow.
Star Trek is kind of like comic books - like Bob said with comic books once in the Big Picture, you can pretty much start wherever the hell you like. There is the occasional call-back, but it is still very accessible. Personally, I'd recommend starting with Next Generation and to just persevere - the first two seasons do have some rather rubbish episodes, but there is also some great ones there. The same applies for Deep Space 9 and Voyager - both series took a couple of seasons to find their feet (I do think that DS9 and Voyager could have ended better, especially Voyager, but that's a whole other discussion/rant).

Oh, and you should TOTALLY see Wrath of Khan. It's the only movie I can think of where William Shatner's over-the-top ham acting actually works.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
I already had enough reservations from nearly every poster having "Into Darkness" in larger print than what's supposed to be the draw, now heating what happened (along with a few other of the director's statements), he clearly didn't want to direct Star Trek in the first place. More importantly, he's taken my Star Trek, he'll be taking my Star Wars, if Hollywood decides to make a Gundam movie and make him the director that will quite literally be JJ Abrams messing up every one of my beloved childhood franchises.

Now that I've said that, it will be happen and the plot twists will be so lazy. "That guy in the mask who we always said wasn't Char, totally is Char." Hell, does this mean for Star Wars VII the twist will be that the guy with the red light saber is a sith lord?

[small]It probably is and that's just annoying...[/small]

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Really doesn't feel like a spoiler when every Trekkie and Trekker figured out the big spoiler long ago and the production team didn't do a very good job of convincing people they hadn't already figured it out.

So is it too early to give up any hope of getting a good movie out of the writers and to give up on another franchise since Abrams is a big name without the skill to make the big movies into really good movies?

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Yeah, I was a bit lukewarm about the reboot(the 1st movie) too.

I never really had any investment into the series, as I never watched it, but I can't imagine how painful it would be for me if I had.

Yet everyone still rates Into Darkness as "above average" and "quite good".

ABRAMS!!!!!!!!!!!

*echoes* ABRAMS!!!!!!!!!

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
So I knew that this review would be negative, especially given Bob's previous issues with the 2009 film and his dislike of J.J. Abrams. I was lucky enough to go and see it last week before most of the reviews were out and enjoyed it immensely. Yes, it has callbacks, and I thought in most they worked.

I enjoyed this movie, and it looks like a lot of people agree with me. It's not the best movie in the world, but in my opinion it's nowhere near as bad as Bob seems to think.

webfox100

Oct 28, 2008
I have my share of problems with it too but I still enjoyed it, more so than the last one and the 3D was great.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
FargoDog said:
Oh no, Star Trek Into Darkness has a hamfisted political message which makes it bad and it doesn't quite live up to the best Star Trek movie ever.
You... really didn't pay much attention to the review did you? I'm not much of a fan of Bob (think his head tends to be somewhere it shouldn't be), but the points you mentioned were, at best, salient points that had nothing really to do with the main reason he didn't like it.

The Actual reasons he states he doesn't like it are:
1. The twist about Khan is done for it's own sake and doesn't add to the film (apparently Abrams is channeling M.Night).
2. The character of Khan isn't actually a character simply a walking plot convenience.
3. All the other characters basically just go through the same motions they did in the first.
4. The bad guy is so obvious and over the top, he fails to elicit any threat.
5. The plot itself is hamfisted.
6. Bob is sick of Abrams doing this.

The points you mentioned barely registered, and I don't really know how those are the ones you picked up on.