Escape to the Movies: Sucker Punch

moviedork

Mar 25, 2011
Bob, you're such a comedian! Watchmen being Snyder's only genuinely great movie (that goes to Dawn of the Dead) and Sucker Punch being an intelligent, anti-misogynistic film full of fully fleshed out female characters......hahahahahahahaahahahahahhahaha I knew there was a reason why I watch your stuff, Bob. This is why. Thank you for being so hilarious.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
I watched this movie in HOPES of being pandered to and was disappointed.
I just felt sad for these girls... and wondered why they imagined themselves in these outfits at all.
Why not imagine something more functional if you aren't going to bring the sexy along with it?

Next I hoped for the movie to be thought provoking, deep and a commentary on the empowerment of women. Again I was disappointed.
The characters are flat (2D?), the story is not nearly as intelligent as it wants to make you think it is. Worst of all, I didn't feel the women were empowered.
I felt like they failed epically by the end. Their few real successes were thanks to men stepping in.

Finally I said, "Bring on the barrage of actiony geekdom", but alas the fan service just gets tired without any meaningful framework to hang it on.
Even more sad is that although Zack seems to know what fans like, he was able to suck all the joy and fun out of the things that are so well loved by fanboys.

Worst of all the fantasies were full of anachronisms.
Notice the mic/ear pieces they wear? They imagined 21st century tech perfectly?
Had anyone conceived of steampunk in the 60's?
Is it likely any of these girls had even heard of wuxia martial art films or in fact any of the fantasy elements being portrayed?

This movie just made me sad.
Mostly for myself and the 2 hours I want back for being forced to sit though Brazil by way of Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge.

I'd also like to know why it was PG-13.
Is there even a drop of blood in this film? Most of the violence is against non-human things that don't seem to bleed.

There's certainly no nudity or sexual themes (most sexless cathouse ever). Frankly, I don't even remember much swearing... and I saw the EXTENDED cut. You know, the one that would have gotten the film an R-rating.

Sucker Punch is like a song played by a computer. It may be technically perfect, but it lacks the heart and soul only a human can give.

moosek

Nov 5, 2009
Usually when someone says, "You'll either love it or hate it," I generally think it's alright.

Repo: The Genetic Opera. Thought it was okay.