Escape to the Movies: Sucker Punch

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Sucker Punch

MovieBob reviews Sucker Punch, which is "intelligent and moving, if utterly deranged."

Watch Video

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Fine. I'll finally see fucking Watchmen Bob. Despite my lack of interest in it's material. And then see this right after.

Are you ever going to add your older reviews, like Watchmen and Star Trek to the Escape to the Movies archive, btw?

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
SON OF A *****!!!

I was going to see this movie tonight. We had everything planned. Then what happens? My friend sees its score on metacritic and "won't pay for a shitty movie" so now we're seeing Paul...

I WANT TO SEE THIS FUCKING MOVIE!!!!!!!

Hopefully I can persuade him otherwise...

EDIT: Ended up seeing it. Fucking amazing. The soundtrack was probably my favorite part, then the visuals. But Bob, I have a bone to pick with you. I mean, the commercials and trailers showed Germans, so I expected that. Someone hinted to me that they would be zombies, so I expected that too. But, I was blown away when I saw German-steampunk zombies!!!

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Your review sounds just what my mother thought when we saw an extended sneak peek last night. Though instead of "intelligent and moving" she said "imaginative and artistic with a sprinkle of mild horror."(and she is aware its not horror)

So yeah we as a family might go see it for the awesome looking action, beautiful visuals, and how the main characters are all females fighting males for a change.

DearFilm

Mar 18, 2011
Gxas said:
SON OF A *****!!!

I was going to see this movie tonight. We had everything planned. Then what happens? My friend sees its score on metacritic and "won't pay for a shitty movie" so now we're seeing Paul...

Paul was a pretty damned lazy movie, honestly. It was everything you'd predict it to be. SuckerPunch at least looks vaguely original. I'd try to convince him/her otherwise.

gardyna

Jun 7, 2010
I remember going to watch a movie (think it was Scott pilgrim) and i became utterly hyped upp when i told my friends that this looks like a REALLY good movie they looked at me like I was mad (although you can't really blame them)

it still looks awesome and I'm going to see it tonight or tomorrow night

Kaytastrophe

Jun 7, 2010
Interesting, this movie has interested me since you first mentioned it in the credits of one of your escape to the movies way back yonder. However, you are the first critic to say it is worth while most have been saying it is a contender for the worst movie of the year. I might give it a chance. Perhaps though bob you could maybe address more as to why there has been such poor reception of this movie and perhaps what you saw in the movie that perhaps others missed?

DearFilm

Mar 18, 2011
Pro Tip: If you want a movie to be successful, don't compare it favorably to Scott Pilgrim.

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
It's interesting how hollywood has been exploring dreams as of late... or concepts of reality. I wonder if that says anything about the current climate with the recession and all. Perhaps we all wish we could escape into our heads?

Anyway, sweet review. I will be seeing this :p

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I'll be seeing it this weekend. Sounds pretty unique.
Edit: Yikes. It is getting destroyed by critics.

Notashrimp09

Apr 27, 2009
Urgh...I feel like I just lost the raging debate I've been having with my friends over whether or not this was a male fetish movie.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Prediction based on recent comment threads of Moviebob videos and articles: The second of the momentary images during the credits will get more attention than anything else in the entire review.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
This review somehow sealed the deal even more on a movie I planned on seeing, come hell or high water.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
What a coincidence, the ads play the trailer to the review.

Anyway, sorry Bob but eventhough it does look like it's worth watching I going to miss it like I did with Inception. I?m saving all of my cash for the summer movies.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Prediction based on recent comment threads of Moviebob videos and articles: The second of the momentary images during the credits will get more attention than anything else in the entire review.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
I've been on the fence since I first saw the stills for this movie, mostly because of what Bob said. It seemed to simply pander to the comic book/anime/fan boy crowd. This isn't to say that I'm not in that group, but I was feeling like this movie was almost baiting me to come in and watch it because it simply had those things in it, which I wasn't buying.

Listening to Bob's review, it's nice to hear that it may actually come off as a good piece of cinema and I think I'm in the realm of "yeah, I'll go check it out" rather then "wait for it to come out on DVD". Thanks Bob.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Gxas said:
SON OF A *****!!!

>.> or ya know, pay your own way, this looks a hell of a lot better the Paul i'm a go see it, >.> after i get paid that is

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
By the way, Escapist, is there a REASON your forums have to wait for a connection to static.ak.connect.facebook.com every time I try to post a comment, even though I don't have a Facebook account? And is there a reason it always takes so goddamn long to connect to it?