Escape to the Movies: Taken 2

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
Good to know the movie is exactly like the trailer is. I wonder Bob if you could of done the same review only going off the trailers.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
SnakeoilSage said:
Now Bob, I think you missed a whopping big piece of what Taken represents. I'm not some jaded middle-aged guy, but I have a girlfriend that I care about very, very dearly, and when I was watching Liam rip the pistol out of a man's hand and pistol whip him in the temple with it (repeatedly), a part of me understood entirely the anger behind every swing. If my girlfriend had been kidnapped for very real threat of human trafficking, I would likely BURN PARIS TO THE GROUND to find her and ensure she didn't wind up in some disgusting crime lord's heroin-addicted harem.
No you wouldnt! You'd call the police like any sane person and then sit agonisingly by the phone in the hope that they had found your girlfriend.

On topic First one was alright, second ones probably a DVD release, also I like the fact that the baddie from Taken 2 is Boris the Bulletdodger from Snatch

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
Great idea, poor execution. No surprises here. Thanks for the heads up, Bob.

Was I the only one who cried out in agony upon seeing "The Lone Ranger" imagery? Please, Hollywood, don't do this. Remake "The Munsters" if you must, but don't do this...

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Great intro, Bob.

As for the review itself? I think you laid it on a little too thick when talking about the first movie. Maybe it's because I am a dad and you're not, but I never got any of the sort of xenophobic/patriarchal overtones that you placed on it; for me, it was simply a brutal illustration of how far a parent will go to protect their child.

Assuming I was in the same position he was and I had the same skillset that he did, I can't say that I would have acted any differently. Not because of xenophobia towards "the other" and not because "father knows best," but because I love my child, I would do nearly anything to protect my child from that sort of harm, and I have no sympathy at all for human traffickers.

Now, I can see where you're coming from with your analysis, but I think you may be over-analyzing.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Everything I needed to know about this movie occurred at 3:09. The slowmo protagonist strut with the birds flying behind him is never a good sign.

Studsmack

Sep 28, 2012
I did like the premise of the antagonists taking revenge as a consequence to Liam Neeson's rampaging through the first film. While I do love me some Neeson, I felt this story didn't really need to be told. I'd probably catch it on Netflix at some point while I casually browse a few months down the line.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
New Spider-Man? Sweet!

Fingers crossed that it's just as good as the last one was.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Pipotchi said:
No you wouldnt! You'd call the police like any sane person and then sit agonisingly by the phone in the hope that they had found your girlfriend.
When you fall in love some day you'll understand.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I was ready to find the vibe creepy after the first one, really. "The swarthy foreigners want to molest your nubile teenage daughters!" Euuugh...

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Well, it's a French film and lord knows they take every opportunity they can get to slam Islam in any way possible. I mean, French society has by and large been the most intolerant of any country toward Muslims, enacting dozens of laws that persecute them while the French people are bombarded with propaganda from every angle about them.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I personally thought that "Taken" was the best video game movie I'd ever seen. It seemed to take best elements of GTA and Metal Gear Solid and throw them together. I literally imagined an exclamation point appear over one of the man's heads when he saw Neeson through the window.

I was hoping Taken 2 would be more of the same.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
The best way to enjoy Taken and thus, Taken 2, is to imagine Neelson is infact Millhouse's dad and that it's all going on in his head.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
SnakeoilSage said:
Pipotchi said:
When you fall in love some day you'll understand.
Lol Don't tell my wife that otherwise she'll expect me to bounce around Europe killing human traffikers next time she's kidnapped.

I'm not disputing your 'desire' to avenge etc but unlike fantasy dad Liam Neeson, you wouldnt have access to weapons, training, French inside connections et al. You'd most likely have to get a Visa before they even let you off a plane

On a side note we have the exact same number of posts!

luvd1 said:
The best way to enjoy Taken and thus, Taken 2, is to imagine Neelson is infact Millhouse's dad and that it's all going on in his head.
I'm not sure theres many movies that addendum does;nt improve!

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
I actually had a glimmer of hope that Taken 2 would be a fun action movie...

Guess i'll just go watch Dreadd 3D again...

...damn that was a great movie...

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
Taken 3 With Liam Neeson teaming Up with Arnold reprising his role from COMMANDO! that would be awesome.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Everyone goes on an on about how awesome Liam Neeson is, but the only exposure I've had to him are movies in which he is incredibly boring and monotone (The Phantom Menace, Batman Begins, etc.)...I should probably see the first Taken, and Schindler's List.

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
I kind of liked Taken, thought it was fun. But it also felt like the perfectly self-contained action movie; it did NOT need, nor should it ever have gotten, a sequel.