Escape to the Movies: Ted

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Ted

If every child's wish came true there would be so many more ponies.

Watch Video

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
I was curious to see if this worked or not, it really looked like a terribly unfunny premise but the trailers kept me laughing. Might have to go see this one.

mercifulwrath said:
...I disregarded everything after he said that he liked The Cleveland Show.
That must have made for a very long and boring video to watch.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I see this movie has the same stupid obligatory fight scene that about 30% of Family Guy consists of in order to eat up time.

It's funny because he's fighting a teddy bear.
It's funny because a teddy bear is smoking pot.
It's funny because a teddy bear is humping a cash register.

Seth MacFarlane surely is a comedy genius, turning what used to be one of Family Guy's random flashback jokes into a feature film.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I only first became aware of this movie yesterday, and my first thought was wondering what Bob had to say about it. I was expecting him to hate it. Kind of a surprise there.

And I'm kind of with him on the quality Seth's shows. I don't really understand all the hate for Family Guy. I like it. I don't love it, but it's generally good. I like American Dad about the same. Sometimes Family Guy is better, sometimes it's worse, but the shows are generally on par with each other. The Cleveland Show is terrible though. The whole premise of the show seems so artificial to me. It's a spin off for the sake of a spin off, not because it was needed in any way. The comedy is completely uninspired, and I feel like the only reason they have the bear character in it is just because that's what Seth does. He puts characters in who shouldn't be able to talk but do. The character doesn't have a fleshed out personality and is generally really boring, while other unusual characters Seth creates are usually good in their own right. They would work if they were normal people. But that bear just feels like it was put in there because Seth felt like he had to.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Combining this with Ebert's review of the thing (guy has to know something about dumb/bad movies if he actually wrote a Russ Meyer movie) I think this is my winner this weekend at the movies. Would have still liked a little shout-out of 'I told ya so!' or 'didn't hate it at much as I expected: must...disembowel...self' in terms of Spiderman though.

Edit: just saw Ted. Not sure I see what all the fuss is about to be honest. About 10% of the jokes are legitimately funny (a few gems are hysterical in fact), but 90% of the jokes really are just 'Teddy bear does things unbecoming a Teddy bear.' If you got bored of that joke on Family Guy or any other Seth MacFarlane project this will not change your mind.

Watch it on Netflix when it comes out. Don't bother with it in the theater.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Sometimes funny is just.... family guy.

Seriously.. I saw Mcfarlane on the Daily show, where they talk about the "borne identity" like fight scene.. and Immediately any chance this film had for me, was obliterated, for basically regurgitating the peter "Chicken fight" gag with live actors and it was confirmed here with this split second clip of it.

So yeah... I seriously get the feeling, Seth, like many of his inspirations, happened to come across reruns of "unhappily ever after" and worked his magic and ripped it off. (hint:Bobcat Goldthwait did it better)

Basically thats Mcfarlanes formula... Shit he found on the internet/tv/movies/elsewhere, mixed in with pointless filler material and likely musicals.

So to willingly give this guy money to reward him for this non work so more of this kinda crap can be made? Not gonna happen.

Guess I am in that hate it camp on McFarlane. I try to watch his work periodically cause he at least tries to change, but it seems increasingly it only gets worse.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Oh Bob, why are you so like you?

*does an episode of the big picture about how formulaic is not inherently bad*
*wanted to mark this down as formulaic and therefore bad*
Seriously, what?

Sir Ryan Ward

Pontificator
Jan 29, 2011
I was going to see this anyway, just because of the Boston setting. Glad to hear it's actually funny.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
Country
United States
When I heard about this movie I knew I was either going to hate it or really like it. Glad to see it's probably the latter this time around. I will get around to seeing it when I can.

Thanks Bob!

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Is see some plastic anatomically incorrect tourist attraction given a brief Cameo in a Boston movie really that big a deal?

*puts on sunglasses*

...You bet Jur-ass-ic is!

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
RaikuFA said:
Listening to his album right now. Very good stuff.
I love the album. It always puts me in a great mood if I listen to it on my way to work. Who'd have thunk it, huh?

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
viranimus said:
So yeah... I seriously get the feeling, Seth, like many of his inspirations, happened to come across reruns of "unhappily ever after" and worked his magic and ripped it off.
Argh, ninja'd. I wanted to mention that Unhappily Ever After had basically the same premise only the guy had a family and the bear was a rabbit but other than that it's really pretty much the same set up.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
Country
United States
Radoh said:

Seriously, what?
Well, he means that being formulaic doesn't mean the whole movie is bad, but being too formulaic can get in the way of the enjoyment of the movie. Like he said you can pretty much see every part coming. However, like he also said, the movie is so funny that it doesn't ruin it for you. He said about the same thing for the Avengers. You can predict pretty much what's going to happen, but it's still so well made you don't care. But some people still care, so he has to mention it.

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
Anyone else immediately reminded of that robotic teddy bear from...that one movie....with the little kid android.....

AI, that was it. Somehow makes the foul mouthed teddy bear seem funnier when I think of that one.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
PsychedelicDiamond said:
viranimus said:
So yeah... I seriously get the feeling, Seth, like many of his inspirations, happened to come across reruns of "unhappily ever after" and worked his magic and ripped it off.
Argh, ninja'd. I wanted to mention that Unhappily Ever After had basically the same premise only the guy had a family and the bear was a rabbit but other than that it's really pretty much the same set up.
And Unhappily Ever After itself was basically "Wedded... with Offspring."

pyrite13

Jun 29, 2012
I'm surprised that you're surprised at Mila's comic abilities. Have you not seen That 70's Show? She pulled her weight every time she was called upon.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
MovieBob said:
Ted

Watch Video
If every "child's" wish came true, I hope my "pony" (or rather, pegasus) doesn't turn out like Ted.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Lord Beautiful said:
Just terrible.

How could you review this instead of Magic Mike?
Personally, I was hoping for a review of Brave, but this was next on my list.

Looks funny. I love me some Seth Mcfarlane.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I'm surprised he liked this! And I REALLY want to see it. It looks fucking hilarious.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Z of the Na said:
Lord Beautiful said:
Just terrible.

How could you review this instead of Magic Mike?
Personally, I was hoping for a review of Brave, but this was next on my list.

Looks funny. I love me some Seth Mcfarlane.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/9760-Near-Miss

There you go, he just could fit this and Lincoln.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Radoh said:

Seriously, what?
I was thinking the same thing. C'mon now Bob, don't confuse us like this.

I might give this one a chance. The trailer makes it look really funny, if anything it might turn out to be a good hangover-flick.

Aaaand while we're on the subject of Family Guy... yes, I absolutely love the first three seasons. Everything after that, sure, there's usually at least one brilliant joke in every episode, but there's so much crap you have to go through to get to the good parts. I think it's a shame since I still hold those first three seasons as some of the funniest TV ever made.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
drisky said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/9760-Near-Miss

There you go, he just could fit this and Lincoln.
Ah, I understand now.

Thank you for the link.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Radoh said:

Seriously, what?
Nothing wrong with Formula. I think he, like me, find it a little silly when we can predict plot points from scene to scene.
I've already pointed out the "Obligatory falling out of friendship" scene from the trailers. Seems every movie in existence must have that kind of plot development BY LAW.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
MovieBob LIKES a crappy popcorn film... Surprise, surprise!

I'm sorry but am I only one who still wonders why Seth Mcfarlane isn't unemployed and living on welfare?

He has some how mastered the art of doing thing that others, who are far better than him, have already done and far better.

Ted is one of those films that is made to be forgotten, like any of Adam sandlers films.
It's not Oscar worthy... Heck! it's not even noteworthy!

My advice... Do what the man with the accent says and "save your money"

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
I really can't wait to see Ted. I thought the trailer was fucking hilarious.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Ted does look funny, I'll give it that. And in a surprise twist that surprises absolutely no one, the latest Tyler Perry "Maeda does something" abortion wasn't shown to critics.

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
well im genuinly suprised! whenever a movie like that comes out i always expect it to be bad and stupid (like so many before) but seeing one that actully works to the level that bob liked it that makes me happy :D

btw im in the love mecfarlen camp so im defenitly checking this one out (even though this is the first time ive heard of it 0.0 )

Xelien

Oct 22, 2008
Bah, nothing in your review has changed my mind, oh well. Just not my kind of funny, seems like a good enough film but not my taste.

Looks like it's Magic Mike for this weekend, which I'm totally going to watch for the plot.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I dislike Family Guy for the same reason I dislike Robot Chicken in many ways, sure you'll get some laughs in there but when you rely on nothing but randomness and cutaways it means I have to sit through 20 minutes of "meh" before getting to the 5 or so minutes of gold. The only really good episodes are those that primarily feature Brian and Stewie, the rest of the "normal" characters were really sort of bland from the beginning and just got more bland and unfunny as time went on because they focused on cutaways and not characters.

American Dad is the best out of the three because all of the characters are somewhat funny and interesting on an individual level and instead of cutaways it focuses on more relatable conflicts and plotlines while keeping it relatively fresh and funny. I haven't really seen enough of the Cleveland Show to make a judgement on it, but from what I've seen it's not so bad.

Anyway Ted looked pretty cool and it could be interesting, actually seeing Seth's style in live action should be interesting if nothing else.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Sir Ryan Ward said:
I was going to see this anyway, just because of the Boston setting. Glad to hear it's actually funny.
A bunch of things are set in Boston, but they're almost always filmed in Toronto/LA. It's pretty unusual for someone to pull off shooting a movie here, other than the occasional Good Will Hunting or Mystic River. They just really seem to make life difficult (and expensive) for anyone who wants to make a movie here. It's fun seeing authentic local scenery pop up in the background of a trailer on the rare occasions that it does and going, "Wait, what?" when you realize it's right outside your window because of how infrequently it happens compared to how many movies and TV shows pretend to take place here. Heh.

KitsuneSaya

Jun 25, 2009
God, I remember driving by that orange dinosaur sooooooo many times when I was little (I live in Lynn and my closest extended family, in Saugus). I thought it'd had been taken down by now...

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
misterprickly said:
I'm sorry but am I only one who still wonders why Seth Mcfarlane isn't unemployed and living on welfare?
i wonder the exact same thing about Michel Bay actually

ether way, sounds like a rent to me

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
misterprickly said:
He has the support of his fans. You know... drunk and/or stoned college kids with too much disposable income.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I seriously dont get all the hate, its not that I mind people not liking his comedy but saying offensive things about the guy and the fans of his shows seems a bit unnecessary.

For me the biggest problem with Seth is that he hasnt made anything where the characters are well defined, in one scene they can be dumb and in the other they can be smart for the sake of the joke making his shows behave like a Robot Chicken with a small continuity.

From his shows the one I prefer is American Dad although that one still has some of the issues.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
mercifulwrath said:
I wouldn't blame you, I find it more funny that he finds Clevland Show more funny then Family Guy when its essentially Family Guy but the family is Black and only one character is actually OK.

josemlopes said:
I seriously dont get all the hate, its not that I mind people not liking his comedy but saying offensive things about the guy and the fans of his shows seems a bit unnecessary.

For me the biggest problem with Seth is that he hasnt made anything where the characters are well defined, in one scene they can be dumb and in the other they can be smart for the sake of the joke making his shows behave like a Robot Chicken with a small continuity.

From his shows the one I prefer is American Dad although that one still has some of the issues.
I think the issue with Family Guy, which inspired part of your comment is that there is only so much pop-culture to go around. Like it or not you can only make a Alf or Cookie Monster joke so many times before it gets boring.

He just ran out of Pop-Culture to run his Pop-Culture comedy show and instead is focusing of just shitting on random celebrities and non-coherent drama, such as the episode where Peter's liver puts his life in mortal-danger and as such Brian has to give both of his so Peter can live. That whole episode was just unnecessary drama with no punch line and no character building what-so-ever. In another one Brian finds out Quaghmire hates him and as such is given shit for things Quaghmire did and almost succeeded to just two or three seasons earlier.

My problem with Seth is exactly what he said during the 100th episode special in that his whole reason for making his show the way it is to point out things that society does wrong but since he does it in a comedy-show no one honestly cares if he finds that X actress adopting Y child is bad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems to be funny, but it definitely isn't a 'much watch' like I felt he was pushing it to be.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
Gonna disagree with you Bob. Family Guy was much better before it was canceled. Seth McFarland is brilliant at physical humor and wacky craziness. All of his "smartness" that you seemed to be in love with comes off largely as preachy, self righteous, and finger pointing. This movie does seem like a logical extension however since this movie could be a spiritual prequel to Family Guy. So maybe it will work if it just wants to be funny without all the "Look how much smarter I am then you but you really aren't aware of just how much I'm insulting you because your dumb if you don't believe the same things I do" humor.

For the record he has made fun of himself for this as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdbnssEZ_Xk&feature=player_detailpage

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'll pass on this. Mainly 'cause I don't really like Seth McFarland and I don't particularly like that formula of movie.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I'm going to assume the surprise cameo was Garfield.... Wait bad idea.... Still the actual cameo was pretty freaking awesome.... much more awesome than Garfield....

I went to see how bad it was & how many bad parents would bring their kids to an R rated movie. Neither happened. Still I enjoyed it & would probably buy it if I still bought movies.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
I'll pass on this. Mainly 'cause I don't really like Seth McFarland and I don't particularly like that formula of movie.
Also, it has Marky Mark in it, who has the acting talent to that of a bog brush.

Even then, that's being too kind.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
MovieBob said:
Ted

Watch Video
No, if that were true we would also have real life pokemon flying around(I would so become a trainer in a heartbeat).

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I could spend money on this...

... or just watch the Peter Griffin vs. Chicken fight over and over and save some money.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
And sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
But on occasion, it's a phallic object. Like, every occasion it has to be in a Seth McFarlane production.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
mercifulwrath said:
This is the same person who produced two videos about why the Simpsons was still funny. Obviously the humor bar isn't very high for Bob.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I'm honestly kinda surprised people on here actually seem to be reacting positively to this movie.

Now I won't feel ashamed to say that I want to see this movie. It looks hilarious.

Eric Morales

Dec 6, 2011
"Family Guy got better after it came back?" Now either by some horrible luck I've missed all the good ones or Bob and I have some astoundingly different tastes.

Eric Morales

Dec 6, 2011
Radoh said:

Seriously, what?
I think his point was that formula is fine as long as you make up for it in other areas.

Then again, when he said there was nothing wrong with formula he was talking about the Avengers and I'm pretty sure that Movie could have sprayed you with tear gas and he still would have given it rave reviews because ZOMG COMIC BOOK CONTINUITY!

I'm being overly mean, but seriously, I'm glad that movie has come and gone so he'll stop gabbing off about it.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
LordFish said:
Mila Kunis gives me the weirdest boner..
What's so weird about it? Mila Kunis is a hotty, pretty straight forward that she'd get your junk to point straight forward.

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
MovieBob:
Ted

That's my wish too Bob. Six very specific ponies to be exact.

Okay, eight. Celestia and Luna need to be there too.

P.S.- Nine. Cause Derpy.

P.P.S.- Fuck it. All of them =P.

LordFish

May 29, 2012
WhiteTigerShiro said:
LordFish said:
What's so weird about it? Mila Kunis is a hotty, pretty straight forward that she'd get your junk to point straight forward.
Buutt Buuttt.... It's Meg!

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
LordFish said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
LordFish said:
I'm old enough to say... But But But It's Jackie...and then I saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Black Swan.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Random Argument Man said:
LordFish said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
LordFish said:
I'm old enough to say... But But But It's Jackie...and then I saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Black Swan.
Yeah. I always thought it was hilarious that Mila Kunis was picked to play the endlessly mocked and abused "ugly" but really "average" girl.

Anyway, I enjoy Family Guy most of the time, but this seems like it could sway either the Pineapple Express way of actually being funny, or the Hangover way of being flat-out terrible and boring, and I only really like that style of humor in small doses to begin with. I'll probably see this with my movie-buff friend once it comes out on DVD and he gets it, but until then I think it's a pass.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
misterprickly said:

He has some how mastered the art of doing thing that others, who are far better than him, have already done and far better.
Does info like this make you weep?

-as a disclaimer, I understand why people might hate him/his work, I just don't share that hatred-

Family Guy first aired January 31, 1999. MacFarlane's work in animating Family Guy has been influenced by Jackie Gleason and Hanna-Barbera along with examples from The Simpsons and All in the Family. In addition to writing three episodes, "Death Has a Shadow", "Family Guy Viewer Mail 1" and "North by North Quahog", MacFarlane voices Family Guy's main characters - Peter Griffin, Stewie Griffin, Brian Griffin and Glenn Quagmire as well as Tom Tucker, his son Jake and additional characters. Bolstered by high DVD sales and established fan loyalty, Family Guy developed into a $1 billion franchise. On May 4, 2008, after approximately two and a half years of negotiations, MacFarlane reached a $100 million agreement with Fox to keep Family Guy and American Dad until 2012. The agreement makes him the world's highest paid television writer.
Family Guy is more hit than miss with me so I tend to like his stuff. I really enjoy the emphasis on music he puts into the show.

OT: I'm not a theatre kind of guy so I'll probably rent this once it's available.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Despite me disliking most of Seth's most recent stuff, I think I'm going to go see this one.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Hate family guy in how instead of showing a lesson or moral it preaches and thinks its audience is retarded, plus i fond almost every joke either not funny, too obscure to where when i finally get it the punch is gone, make no logical sense (in a bad way), and literally will waste my time with a stupid chicken fight or fuck mothering Conway Twitty. Plus Peter acts so nutty to the point where it borders on sociopathical behavior and becomes a danger to his family and just damn annoying that he learns every lesson at least 5 times, plus at a point it becomes so outrageous it no longer becomes funny and becomes contemptible. Brian is a hypocrite, stewie as a baby is constantly being sexualized to the point of i feel dirty, louis is a complete ***** and a hypocrite, and meg is a waste of space, animation, and talent.

American dad would be more than just average if they dropped the damn alien and haley's stupid stupid stupid liberal spouting bullshit.

Cleveland show pissed me off from the get go because they canceled king of the hill to air another piece of garbage that is less thought provoking and not as well animated in art or character.

and then i forced myself to see ted.
It fucking sucked. yes he's a bear....thats the whole joke. the jokes last to long, the punchlines are predictable, it has no surprises so i become bored, i actually feel walberg and kunis could have been in a better film, and ryan rynolds cameo was kind of pointless.

dont watch Ted. just DVR 4 episodes of the big bang theory and experience actual humor with likable characters. and well timed jokes.

SAVE YOUR MONEY

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Eric Morales said:
"Family Guy got better after it came back?" Now either by some horrible luck I've missed all the good ones or Bob and I have some astoundingly different tastes.
this is the same bob who enjoys tim and eric.

so im starting to think he may be a fan of ANTI COMEDY, and to test this i demand a review of Freddy Got Fingered.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Aprilgold said:
I think the issue with Family Guy, which inspired part of your comment is that there is only so much pop-culture to go around. Like it or not you can only make a Alf or Cookie Monster joke so many times before it gets boring.

He just ran out of Pop-Culture to run his Pop-Culture comedy show and instead is focusing of just shitting on random celebrities and non-coherent drama, such as the episode where Peter's liver puts his life in mortal-danger and as such Brian has to give both of his so Peter can live. That whole episode was just unnecessary drama with no punch line and no character building what-so-ever. In another one Brian finds out Quaghmire hates him and as such is given shit for things Quaghmire did and almost succeeded to just two or three seasons earlier.

My problem with Seth is exactly what he said during the 100th episode special in that his whole reason for making his show the way it is to point out things that society does wrong but since he does it in a comedy-show no one honestly cares if he finds that X actress adopting Y child is bad.
Why is seth of all people lecturing on what society does wrong when all he does is just slam people who support what he doesnt? if anything his shows are a bad influence on culture because it shows that people are ok with random and stupid cultural references and slamming people in what amounts to being a mean spirited bastard just because he has a view.

Case in point: the minute i really got pissed at seth was during an episode with a costume party and louis dressed as the guy Laura Bush accidently killed in her younger years and they pointed it out with literally no punchline.

Besides the fact it was an accident where she ran a stop sign and collided with a another car and killed a guy and wasnt charged, it was only because she was the wife of Bush who is a conservative.
Thats not only not funny and a dick move, i actually felt bad for Laura. thats fucking harsh! im sure she feels like shit over the whole ordeal and is haunted for life over it.

Yet to top it off....i never once saw a ted kennedy drunk driving joke, and to this day....i dont think one exist.

After that i started noticing some very mean spirited dark humor thats more depressing than funny. and i just got tired of it because it was just being immature for a cheap ass joke. At least south park is lampooning potty humor and ultimately gives a fair moral thats reasonable balanced.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Jegsimmons said:
Aprilgold said:

Why is seth of all people lecturing on what society does wrong when all he does is just slam people who support what he doesnt? if anything his shows are a bad influence on culture because it shows that people are ok with random and stupid cultural references and slamming people in what amounts to being a mean spirited bastard just because he has a view.

Case in point: the minute i really got pissed at seth was during an episode with a costume party and louis dressed as the guy Laura Bush accidently killed in her younger years and they pointed it out with literally no punchline.

Besides the fact it was an accident where she ran a stop sign and collided with a another car and killed a guy and wasnt charged, it was only because she was the wife of Bush who is a conservative.
Thats not only not funny and a dick move, i actually felt bad for Laura. thats fucking harsh! im sure she feels like shit over the whole ordeal and is haunted for life over it.

Yet to top it off....i never once saw a ted kennedy drunk driving joke, and to this day....i dont think one exist.

After that i started noticing some very mean spirited dark humor thats more depressing than funny. and i just got tired of it because it was just being immature for a cheap ass joke. At least south park is lampooning potty humor and ultimately gives a fair moral thats reasonable balanced.
Your really congratulating South Park on giving a decent moral when its honestly /b/ of the Television Industry.

But I agree with you whole heartedly on everything else. Seth is just a prick who happened to think of a decent idea that has now turned into his own little political table for him to preach at everyone and say if you don't agree, your a idiot.

While I agree most conservatives are dumb, at least I give a reason but hes to much up his own ass too.

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
Of his 3 shows, I only really like American Dad nowadays. For one, it is the only of the 3 where 90% of the jokes aren't at least 30 years old. Second, it is the only of the three that doesn't abuse that loathsome thing called the Overly Long Gag. I hate how Seth makes jokes that waste 3-10 minutes of your life on the same godamn punchline for the only sake of wasting 3-10 minutes of your life. But also it is the only one where the characters are minimally consistent.

And since this movies sounds like it is a 90 minute overly long gag, I think I'll pass.

You know what I miss, Fox? Titus. What happened to that? It was basically the perfect comedy show that knows how to repeat a joke and have it still be funny.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
For me Family Guy is mostly hit and miss, with the misses being far more frequent in more recent episodes; with occasionally jokes being so plainly unfunny that it's almost insulting.

On other hand, I really like American Dad for some reason. And I keep liking it more and more. It is almost as if the everything that was funny about Family Guy is slowly seeping into American Dad, while leaving behind everything about it that sucked. It's pretty weird.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Aprilgold said:
Jegsimmons said:
Aprilgold said:

Your really congratulating South Park on giving a decent moral when its honestly /b/ of the Television Industry.

But I agree with you whole heartedly on everything else. Seth is just a prick who happened to think of a decent idea that has now turned into his own little political table for him to preach at everyone and say if you don't agree, your a idiot.

While I agree most conservatives are dumb, at least I give a reason but hes to much up his own ass too.
The reason i congratulate southpark is how neutral and fair it is on who/what it thrashes. One episode it will lampoon chritianity, but then at the end give it compliments. Or how they slammed mormons but respected on how they appreciate family and morals. And anyone who gets thrashed usually had it coming and in later seasons they became...more...mature in their choices i guess is the best way to say. Family guy just lampoons something usually supporting it with false evidence and unfair generalizations and pretty much says "fuck you" if you dont agree. And that shit get old quick.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Buretsu said:
misterprickly said:
He has the support of his fans. You know... drunk and/or stoned college kids with too much disposable income.
That's strange, most college kids I know are obsessed with "intelligent" humour and loathe McFarlane's shows. Retro cartoons, Parks and Recreation and South Park seem to be favourites while Family Guy is slammed as a terrible and unfair political soap box.

Tarquin10

May 2, 2011
mercifulwrath said:
Indeed. I gave that show a season to get better, because Family Guy can be really funny at times and American Dad actually grew on me after a while, but it never did anything remotely funny.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Radoh said:

Seriously, what?
He needs to pick an opinion and stick to it. I was more concerned with excusing this all it's faults because it's a comedy and all it has to do is make you laugh "sometimes funny is just funny" when earlier essentially told everyone to go fuck themselves there's no way he'd ever review American Reunion. Besides, the only reason Bob did that formulaic episode was he needed to justify loving the Avengers so much.

I'd hardly consider McFarlane's work more highbrow than the American Pie franchise (decide for yourself who should be more offended by that statement).

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Gonna give this one a miss. I really, really do not get the McFarlane humor.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
misterprickly said:
If you actually do wonder this, you're not as smart as you seem to think.

A large amount of people like low brow comedy [HEADING=1]SHOCKER![/HEADING]

bilkobob

May 26, 2009
I still think the idea for this movie borrowed heavily on the TV show Wilfred on FX.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Probably one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. I wasn't even aware of this movie until this video and I'm glad I watched it.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
I wonder if is answers the question of how a genital-lacking soft toy develops an over-eager sex-drive.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Jegsimmons said:
Hate family guy in how instead of showing a lesson or moral it preaches and thinks its audience is retarded, plus i fond almost every joke either not funny, too obscure to where when i finally get it the punch is gone, make no logical sense (in a bad way), and literally will waste my time with a stupid chicken fight or fuck mothering Conway Twitty. Plus Peter acts so nutty to the point where it borders on sociopathical behavior and becomes a danger to his family and just damn annoying that he learns every lesson at least 5 times, plus at a point it becomes so outrageous it no longer becomes funny and becomes contemptible. Brian is a hypocrite, stewie as a baby is constantly being sexualized to the point of i feel dirty, louis is a complete ***** and a hypocrite, and meg is a waste of space, animation, and talent.

American dad would be more than just average if they dropped the damn alien and haley's stupid stupid stupid liberal spouting bullshit.

Cleveland show pissed me off from the get go because they canceled king of the hill to air another piece of garbage that is less thought provoking and not as well animated in art or character.

It fucking sucked. yes he's a bear....thats the whole joke. the jokes last to long, the punchlines are predictable, it has no surprises so i become bored, i actually feel walberg and kunis could have been in a better film, and ryan rynolds cameo was kind of pointless.

dont watch Ted. just DVR 4 episodes of the big bang theory and experience actual humor with likable characters. and well timed jokes.

SAVE YOUR MONEY
I hate McFarlane, but Big Bang Theory? Really? It's just pop culture reference after pop culture reference and kaley cuoco because they honestly believe if you say Star Trek and put a hot blonde on screen nerds will watch. It's vapid bullshit.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'll trust my gut on this one and say I really don't think I'll like it.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Jegsimmons said:
The reason i congratulate southpark is how neutral and fair it is on who/what it thrashes. One episode it will lampoon chritianity, but then at the end give it compliments. Or how they slammed mormons but respected on how they appreciate family and morals. And anyone who gets thrashed usually had it coming and in later seasons they became...more...mature in their choices i guess is the best way to say. Family guy just lampoons something usually supporting it with false evidence and unfair generalizations and pretty much says "fuck you" if you dont agree. And that shit get old quick.
Remember the Scientology Episodes? That was certainly "balanced". About as "balanced" as Fox News.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
saintdane05 said:
Jegsimmons said:
Remember the Scientology Episodes? That was certainly "balanced". About as "balanced" as Fox News.
What did it do wrong? The ridiculous quotes about the religion itself are what scientologists actually believe. The only thing they did really was make fun of Tom Cruise, the scientology jokes were written by scientology. Besides it's balanced insofar that yes it'll make fun of someone, but it will make fun of everyone else too.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
It's lookin' pretty funny. I normally get tired of Seth's brand of comedy pretty quick, but he IS genuinely funny and poignant when he wants to be. I might give it a watch, but certainly not until after I've seen Brave.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
They could have done that as 'Calvin and Hobbes' all grown up, but I think Mr Watterson would rather have his genitalia sliced up in front of him.

jbm1986

May 18, 2012
A Boston man(Bob) enjoying a movie set in Boston? Seems a bit biased... :p

Anyways I saw Ted this weekend with my fiancee and though it was pretty funny for the most part. If you've seen an episode of Family Guy/American Dad/Cleavland Show you'll already know what to expect from this:

- sex jokes
- fart jokes
- gay jokes
- slight racism(about 911)
- use of an orchestra for 99% of the music

If you're a fan of the voice acting you'll be happy to know you get to see a few of the people who do the voices in Family Guy (aside from Mila Kunis).

If you're a Family Guy fan or just in the mood for a few laughs, go see it.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Radoh said:

Seriously, what?
What problem do you have with that, exactly?

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
SextusMaximus said:
Radoh said:

Seriously, what?
Because he denounces that "Formulaic is Bad" because he likes The Avengers, but then turns around and says he wants to mark another movie down for being too Formulaic.
You know, hypocrisy mostly being the issue here.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Spot1990 said:
Jegsimmons said:

SAVE YOUR MONEY
I hate McFarlane, but Big Bang Theory? Really? It's just pop culture reference after pop culture reference and kaley cuoco because they honestly believe if you say Star Trek and put a hot blonde on screen nerds will watch. It's vapid bullshit.
i would think the same way if the characters were not so likeable and the jokes are actually well thought out and executed perfectly, and yes its pop culture, but at the same time its important to the overall plot of the episodes and reflects the characters personalities.

so really everything family guy does wrong, BBT does exactly right. plus some of it has science in it that teaches/introduces some interesting stuff. the writing is actually top tier.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
saintdane05 said:
Jegsimmons said:
however they did justify people interest for it as searching for truth. But seriously, its Scientology, its really not defend-able. its pretty damn culty. and im not trying to shit on peoples belief...but...really?
So really, they were about as fair to it as friggin possible.

Also, fox news joke...classy, just target fox and not msnbc or the other channels that are obviously just as biased.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Barciad said:
They could have done that as 'Calvin and Hobbes' all grown up, but I think Mr Watterson would rather have his genitalia sliced up in front of him.
i think every person who has ever heard of calvin and hobbes would do that...before ritually sacrificing the producers. like they almost did during the last air bender.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Jegsimmons said:
Spot1990 said:
Jegsimmons said:

SAVE YOUR MONEY
i would think the same way if the characters were not so likeable and the jokes are actually well thought out and executed perfectly, and yes its pop culture, but at the same time its important to the overall plot of the episodes and reflects the characters personalities.

so really everything family guy does wrong, BBT does exactly right. plus some of it has science in it that teaches/introduces some interesting stuff. the writing is actually top tier.
The characters are as one dimensional as they come. They have giant neon signs over their heads pointing out the one role they will play all the time in every episode. The "jokes" are usually just lazy references, "if we say Star Trek a lot nerds will love us".

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Eh. maybe I'll give this one a shot... after it comes out on TV. And while I liked Family Guy in t he beginning... I lost interest after it got... stupid. (Though I found the Star Wars parodies a riot, if that's worth anything...)

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Spot1990 said:
Jegsimmons said:
Spot1990 said:
Jegsimmons said:

SAVE YOUR MONEY

The characters are as one dimensional as they come. They have giant neon signs over their heads pointing out the one role they will play all the time in every episode. The "jokes" are usually just lazy references, "if we say Star Trek a lot nerds will love us".
except that is completely false, while they do have a main roll, they are given their own back stories, families, motivations, quirks, ect. Plus its not the stereotype, its how you present it. and big bang theory presents it very well to where they are both likable and somewhat deep. If you actually start watching a few more episodes and pay attention youd probably notice.
Also you know what other very successful show has stereotypes with signs over their heads but became a cultural icon? Star trek.....yep. in fact in the original tv show i think chekov and sulu got so little characterization i even wondered if they were originally meant to be main characters or just became popular like McCoys assistant nurse.
Plus you're exaggerating the lazyness of the jokes in BBT. yes they reference star trek, but alot of the times they reference either more obscure thing or just complete science jokes.
Really i dont feel youve given the show a chance, i given family guy a chance...years of it, actually. BBT got me hooked in only 3 episodes.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Spot1990 said:
Jegsimmons said:

SAVE YOUR MONEY
Meh, i dont particularly like Big bang theory...but this?

Is hilarious.

OT: heard about it, saw the creator of family guy created it and it put me off...

However, Movie Bob has just peeked my interest, if a friend wants to see it, then i might go, but i wont die if i don't see it.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
The thing is, Seth's blue-collar bar-room humor is only funny once because it's based on the same joke: that intolerance is funny. Sexism, racism, whatever. It strips the tires fast, especially since I haven't found MacFarlane funny since Blue Harvest, and only because the novelty of ripping off a nostalgic movie and filling it with Family Guy characters hadn't become par the course for every second episode of Family Guy that followed. The Star Wars parodies are a prime example of Seth's brand of humor, that of a single funny joke told so many times it quickly loses its flavor. I barely had reason to laugh at Something Something Something Dark Side and It's a Trap was half-assed pandering at its worst, stuffed with so many tired internet memes that even the title couldn't escape it.

*Sighs* Still, Ted's a better film than That's My Boy. You know after The Avengers the quality of this years films has steadily been dropping.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Radoh said:
SextusMaximus said:
Radoh said:

Seriously, what?
Because he denounces that "Formulaic is Bad" because he likes The Avengers, but then turns around and says he wants to mark another movie down for being too Formulaic.
He wants to, but doesn't, because he enjoyed the movie.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
SextusMaximus said:
Radoh said:
SextusMaximus said:
Radoh said:

Seriously, what?
He wants to, but doesn't, because he enjoyed the movie.
And that's the issue, he WANTS to.
He automatically decided it was too formulaic and should therefore be marked down, done as an automatic knee-jerk reaction when the first thing he railed against in that The Big Picture was people who automatically marked things down just because it's formulaic.
Whether he did or not doesn't change that he too wanted to do just that.

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
Just out of curiosity why is funny just for funny's sake ok, but action just for action's sake is not?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
SnakeoilSage said:
The thing is, Seth's blue-collar bar-room humor is only funny once because it's based on the same joke: that intolerance is funny.
Yup. It just about sums up my opinion of MacFarlane's work in one line.
I will only add: Intolerance and RANDOM human idiocy.

That was what I felt when I saw the pilot episode of Family Guy.
That's what I've felt for years, and it's what I feel now.

planet.tyler

Mar 1, 2012
wow, i just don't know what to say... i guess thank you for informing that the cleveland show, a pathetic waste of time and the most useless production to come from seth, is your favourite as it tells me just how good ted isn't. nothing about this can be funny to anybody more mature than a mentally retarded snail.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Fun Fact: The voice of Ted's "I love you" function is Tara Strong.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
Woo glad I'm not alone enjoying the Cleveland Show.

Personally I like Seth Mcfarlane and can't wait for this to come out in the UK. A group of us have already planned to go and, to be honest, I don't mind comedy that is there just to be funny, even if it is unbelievable at points. Like Anchorman.

Anyway, great review.