Escape to the Movies: Ted

pyrite13

Jun 29, 2012
I'm surprised that you're surprised at Mila's comic abilities. Have you not seen That 70's Show? She pulled her weight every time she was called upon.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
MovieBob said:
Ted

If every child's wish came true there would be so many more ponies.

Watch Video
If every "child's" wish came true, I hope my "pony" (or rather, pegasus) doesn't turn out like Ted.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Lord Beautiful said:
Just terrible.

How could you review this instead of Magic Mike?
Personally, I was hoping for a review of Brave, but this was next on my list.

Looks funny. I love me some Seth Mcfarlane.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I'm surprised he liked this! And I REALLY want to see it. It looks fucking hilarious.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Z of the Na said:
Lord Beautiful said:
Just terrible.

How could you review this instead of Magic Mike?
Personally, I was hoping for a review of Brave, but this was next on my list.

Looks funny. I love me some Seth Mcfarlane.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/9760-Near-Miss

There you go, he just could fit this and Lincoln.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Radoh said:
Oh Bob, why are you so like you?

*does an episode of the big picture about how formulaic is not inherently bad*
*wanted to mark this down as formulaic and therefore bad*
Seriously, what?
I was thinking the same thing. C'mon now Bob, don't confuse us like this.

I might give this one a chance. The trailer makes it look really funny, if anything it might turn out to be a good hangover-flick.

Aaaand while we're on the subject of Family Guy... yes, I absolutely love the first three seasons. Everything after that, sure, there's usually at least one brilliant joke in every episode, but there's so much crap you have to go through to get to the good parts. I think it's a shame since I still hold those first three seasons as some of the funniest TV ever made.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
drisky said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/9760-Near-Miss

There you go, he just could fit this and Lincoln.
Ah, I understand now.

Thank you for the link.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Radoh said:
Oh Bob, why are you so like you?

*does an episode of the big picture about how formulaic is not inherently bad*
*wanted to mark this down as formulaic and therefore bad*
Seriously, what?
Nothing wrong with Formula. I think he, like me, find it a little silly when we can predict plot points from scene to scene.
I've already pointed out the "Obligatory falling out of friendship" scene from the trailers. Seems every movie in existence must have that kind of plot development BY LAW.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I really can't wait to see Ted. I thought the trailer was fucking hilarious.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Ted does look funny, I'll give it that. And in a surprise twist that surprises absolutely no one, the latest Tyler Perry "Maeda does something" abortion wasn't shown to critics.

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
well im genuinly suprised! whenever a movie like that comes out i always expect it to be bad and stupid (like so many before) but seeing one that actully works to the level that bob liked it that makes me happy :D

btw im in the love mecfarlen camp so im defenitly checking this one out (even though this is the first time ive heard of it 0.0 )

Xelien

Oct 22, 2008
Bah, nothing in your review has changed my mind, oh well. Just not my kind of funny, seems like a good enough film but not my taste.

Looks like it's Magic Mike for this weekend, which I'm totally going to watch for the plot.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I dislike Family Guy for the same reason I dislike Robot Chicken in many ways, sure you'll get some laughs in there but when you rely on nothing but randomness and cutaways it means I have to sit through 20 minutes of "meh" before getting to the 5 or so minutes of gold. The only really good episodes are those that primarily feature Brian and Stewie, the rest of the "normal" characters were really sort of bland from the beginning and just got more bland and unfunny as time went on because they focused on cutaways and not characters.

American Dad is the best out of the three because all of the characters are somewhat funny and interesting on an individual level and instead of cutaways it focuses on more relatable conflicts and plotlines while keeping it relatively fresh and funny. I haven't really seen enough of the Cleveland Show to make a judgement on it, but from what I've seen it's not so bad.

Anyway Ted looked pretty cool and it could be interesting, actually seeing Seth's style in live action should be interesting if nothing else.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Sir Ryan Ward said:
I was going to see this anyway, just because of the Boston setting. Glad to hear it's actually funny.
A bunch of things are set in Boston, but they're almost always filmed in Toronto/LA. It's pretty unusual for someone to pull off shooting a movie here, other than the occasional Good Will Hunting or Mystic River. They just really seem to make life difficult (and expensive) for anyone who wants to make a movie here. It's fun seeing authentic local scenery pop up in the background of a trailer on the rare occasions that it does and going, "Wait, what?" when you realize it's right outside your window because of how infrequently it happens compared to how many movies and TV shows pretend to take place here. Heh.

KitsuneSaya

Jun 25, 2009
God, I remember driving by that orange dinosaur sooooooo many times when I was little (I live in Lynn and my closest extended family, in Saugus). I thought it'd had been taken down by now...

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
misterprickly said:
I'm sorry but am I only one who still wonders why Seth Mcfarlane isn't unemployed and living on welfare?
i wonder the exact same thing about Michel Bay actually

ether way, sounds like a rent to me