Escape to the Movies: Ted

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Ted

If every child's wish came true there would be so many more ponies.

Watch Video

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
I was curious to see if this worked or not, it really looked like a terribly unfunny premise but the trailers kept me laughing. Might have to go see this one.

mercifulwrath said:
...I disregarded everything after he said that he liked The Cleveland Show.
That must have made for a very long and boring video to watch.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I see this movie has the same stupid obligatory fight scene that about 30% of Family Guy consists of in order to eat up time.

It's funny because he's fighting a teddy bear.
It's funny because a teddy bear is smoking pot.
It's funny because a teddy bear is humping a cash register.

Seth MacFarlane surely is a comedy genius, turning what used to be one of Family Guy's random flashback jokes into a feature film.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I only first became aware of this movie yesterday, and my first thought was wondering what Bob had to say about it. I was expecting him to hate it. Kind of a surprise there.

And I'm kind of with him on the quality Seth's shows. I don't really understand all the hate for Family Guy. I like it. I don't love it, but it's generally good. I like American Dad about the same. Sometimes Family Guy is better, sometimes it's worse, but the shows are generally on par with each other. The Cleveland Show is terrible though. The whole premise of the show seems so artificial to me. It's a spin off for the sake of a spin off, not because it was needed in any way. The comedy is completely uninspired, and I feel like the only reason they have the bear character in it is just because that's what Seth does. He puts characters in who shouldn't be able to talk but do. The character doesn't have a fleshed out personality and is generally really boring, while other unusual characters Seth creates are usually good in their own right. They would work if they were normal people. But that bear just feels like it was put in there because Seth felt like he had to.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Combining this with Ebert's review of the thing (guy has to know something about dumb/bad movies if he actually wrote a Russ Meyer movie) I think this is my winner this weekend at the movies. Would have still liked a little shout-out of 'I told ya so!' or 'didn't hate it at much as I expected: must...disembowel...self' in terms of Spiderman though.

Edit: just saw Ted. Not sure I see what all the fuss is about to be honest. About 10% of the jokes are legitimately funny (a few gems are hysterical in fact), but 90% of the jokes really are just 'Teddy bear does things unbecoming a Teddy bear.' If you got bored of that joke on Family Guy or any other Seth MacFarlane project this will not change your mind.

Watch it on Netflix when it comes out. Don't bother with it in the theater.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Sometimes funny is just.... family guy.

Seriously.. I saw Mcfarlane on the Daily show, where they talk about the "borne identity" like fight scene.. and Immediately any chance this film had for me, was obliterated, for basically regurgitating the peter "Chicken fight" gag with live actors and it was confirmed here with this split second clip of it.

So yeah... I seriously get the feeling, Seth, like many of his inspirations, happened to come across reruns of "unhappily ever after" and worked his magic and ripped it off. (hint:Bobcat Goldthwait did it better)

Basically thats Mcfarlanes formula... Shit he found on the internet/tv/movies/elsewhere, mixed in with pointless filler material and likely musicals.

So to willingly give this guy money to reward him for this non work so more of this kinda crap can be made? Not gonna happen.

Guess I am in that hate it camp on McFarlane. I try to watch his work periodically cause he at least tries to change, but it seems increasingly it only gets worse.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Oh Bob, why are you so like you?

*does an episode of the big picture about how formulaic is not inherently bad*
*wanted to mark this down as formulaic and therefore bad*
Seriously, what?

Sir Ryan Ward

Pontificator
Jan 29, 2011
I was going to see this anyway, just because of the Boston setting. Glad to hear it's actually funny.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
When I heard about this movie I knew I was either going to hate it or really like it. Glad to see it's probably the latter this time around. I will get around to seeing it when I can.

Thanks Bob!

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
RaikuFA said:
Listening to his album right now. Very good stuff.
I love the album. It always puts me in a great mood if I listen to it on my way to work. Who'd have thunk it, huh?

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
viranimus said:
So yeah... I seriously get the feeling, Seth, like many of his inspirations, happened to come across reruns of "unhappily ever after" and worked his magic and ripped it off.
Argh, ninja'd. I wanted to mention that Unhappily Ever After had basically the same premise only the guy had a family and the bear was a rabbit but other than that it's really pretty much the same set up.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Radoh said:
Oh Bob, why are you so like you?

*does an episode of the big picture about how formulaic is not inherently bad*
*wanted to mark this down as formulaic and therefore bad*
Seriously, what?
Well, he means that being formulaic doesn't mean the whole movie is bad, but being too formulaic can get in the way of the enjoyment of the movie. Like he said you can pretty much see every part coming. However, like he also said, the movie is so funny that it doesn't ruin it for you. He said about the same thing for the Avengers. You can predict pretty much what's going to happen, but it's still so well made you don't care. But some people still care, so he has to mention it.

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
Anyone else immediately reminded of that robotic teddy bear from...that one movie....with the little kid android.....

AI, that was it. Somehow makes the foul mouthed teddy bear seem funnier when I think of that one.