Escape to the Movies: Ted

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I seriously dont get all the hate, its not that I mind people not liking his comedy but saying offensive things about the guy and the fans of his shows seems a bit unnecessary.

For me the biggest problem with Seth is that he hasnt made anything where the characters are well defined, in one scene they can be dumb and in the other they can be smart for the sake of the joke making his shows behave like a Robot Chicken with a small continuity.

From his shows the one I prefer is American Dad although that one still has some of the issues.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
mercifulwrath said:
...I disregarded everything after he said that he liked The Cleveland Show.
I wouldn't blame you, I find it more funny that he finds Clevland Show more funny then Family Guy when its essentially Family Guy but the family is Black and only one character is actually OK.

josemlopes said:
I seriously dont get all the hate, its not that I mind people not liking his comedy but saying offensive things about the guy and the fans of his shows seems a bit unnecessary.

For me the biggest problem with Seth is that he hasnt made anything where the characters are well defined, in one scene they can be dumb and in the other they can be smart for the sake of the joke making his shows behave like a Robot Chicken with a small continuity.

From his shows the one I prefer is American Dad although that one still has some of the issues.
I think the issue with Family Guy, which inspired part of your comment is that there is only so much pop-culture to go around. Like it or not you can only make a Alf or Cookie Monster joke so many times before it gets boring.

He just ran out of Pop-Culture to run his Pop-Culture comedy show and instead is focusing of just shitting on random celebrities and non-coherent drama, such as the episode where Peter's liver puts his life in mortal-danger and as such Brian has to give both of his so Peter can live. That whole episode was just unnecessary drama with no punch line and no character building what-so-ever. In another one Brian finds out Quaghmire hates him and as such is given shit for things Quaghmire did and almost succeeded to just two or three seasons earlier.

My problem with Seth is exactly what he said during the 100th episode special in that his whole reason for making his show the way it is to point out things that society does wrong but since he does it in a comedy-show no one honestly cares if he finds that X actress adopting Y child is bad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems to be funny, but it definitely isn't a 'much watch' like I felt he was pushing it to be.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
Gonna disagree with you Bob. Family Guy was much better before it was canceled. Seth McFarland is brilliant at physical humor and wacky craziness. All of his "smartness" that you seemed to be in love with comes off largely as preachy, self righteous, and finger pointing. This movie does seem like a logical extension however since this movie could be a spiritual prequel to Family Guy. So maybe it will work if it just wants to be funny without all the "Look how much smarter I am then you but you really aren't aware of just how much I'm insulting you because your dumb if you don't believe the same things I do" humor.

For the record he has made fun of himself for this as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdbnssEZ_Xk&feature=player_detailpage

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'll pass on this. Mainly 'cause I don't really like Seth McFarland and I don't particularly like that formula of movie.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I'm going to assume the surprise cameo was Garfield.... Wait bad idea.... Still the actual cameo was pretty freaking awesome.... much more awesome than Garfield....

I went to see how bad it was & how many bad parents would bring their kids to an R rated movie. Neither happened. Still I enjoyed it & would probably buy it if I still bought movies.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
I'll pass on this. Mainly 'cause I don't really like Seth McFarland and I don't particularly like that formula of movie.
Also, it has Marky Mark in it, who has the acting talent to that of a bog brush.

Even then, that's being too kind.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
MovieBob said:
Ted

If every child's wish came true there would be so many more ponies.

Watch Video
No, if that were true we would also have real life pokemon flying around(I would so become a trainer in a heartbeat).

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I could spend money on this...

... or just watch the Peter Griffin vs. Chicken fight over and over and save some money.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
And sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
But on occasion, it's a phallic object. Like, every occasion it has to be in a Seth McFarlane production.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
mercifulwrath said:
...I disregarded everything after he said that he liked The Cleveland Show.
This is the same person who produced two videos about why the Simpsons was still funny. Obviously the humor bar isn't very high for Bob.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I'm honestly kinda surprised people on here actually seem to be reacting positively to this movie.

Now I won't feel ashamed to say that I want to see this movie. It looks hilarious.

Eric Morales

Dec 6, 2011
"Family Guy got better after it came back?" Now either by some horrible luck I've missed all the good ones or Bob and I have some astoundingly different tastes.

Eric Morales

Dec 6, 2011
Radoh said:
Oh Bob, why are you so like you?

*does an episode of the big picture about how formulaic is not inherently bad*
*wanted to mark this down as formulaic and therefore bad*
Seriously, what?
I think his point was that formula is fine as long as you make up for it in other areas.

Then again, when he said there was nothing wrong with formula he was talking about the Avengers and I'm pretty sure that Movie could have sprayed you with tear gas and he still would have given it rave reviews because ZOMG COMIC BOOK CONTINUITY!

I'm being overly mean, but seriously, I'm glad that movie has come and gone so he'll stop gabbing off about it.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
LordFish said:
Mila Kunis gives me the weirdest boner..
What's so weird about it? Mila Kunis is a hotty, pretty straight forward that she'd get your junk to point straight forward.

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
MovieBob:
Ted

If every child's wish came true there would be so many more ponies.
That's my wish too Bob. Six very specific ponies to be exact.

Okay, eight. Celestia and Luna need to be there too.

P.S.- Nine. Cause Derpy.

P.P.S.- Fuck it. All of them =P.

LordFish

May 29, 2012
WhiteTigerShiro said:
LordFish said:
What's so weird about it? Mila Kunis is a hotty, pretty straight forward that she'd get your junk to point straight forward.
Buutt Buuttt.... It's Meg!

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
LordFish said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
LordFish said:
I'm old enough to say... But But But It's Jackie...and then I saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Black Swan.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Random Argument Man said:
LordFish said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
LordFish said:
I'm old enough to say... But But But It's Jackie...and then I saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Black Swan.
Yeah. I always thought it was hilarious that Mila Kunis was picked to play the endlessly mocked and abused "ugly" but really "average" girl.

Anyway, I enjoy Family Guy most of the time, but this seems like it could sway either the Pineapple Express way of actually being funny, or the Hangover way of being flat-out terrible and boring, and I only really like that style of humor in small doses to begin with. I'll probably see this with my movie-buff friend once it comes out on DVD and he gets it, but until then I think it's a pass.