Escape to the Movies: Ted

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
misterprickly said:
I'm sorry but am I only one who still wonders why Seth Mcfarlane isn't unemployed and living on welfare?

He has some how mastered the art of doing thing that others, who are far better than him, have already done and far better.
Does info like this make you weep?

-as a disclaimer, I understand why people might hate him/his work, I just don't share that hatred-

Family Guy first aired January 31, 1999. MacFarlane's work in animating Family Guy has been influenced by Jackie Gleason and Hanna-Barbera along with examples from The Simpsons and All in the Family. In addition to writing three episodes, "Death Has a Shadow", "Family Guy Viewer Mail 1" and "North by North Quahog", MacFarlane voices Family Guy's main characters - Peter Griffin, Stewie Griffin, Brian Griffin and Glenn Quagmire as well as Tom Tucker, his son Jake and additional characters. Bolstered by high DVD sales and established fan loyalty, Family Guy developed into a $1 billion franchise. On May 4, 2008, after approximately two and a half years of negotiations, MacFarlane reached a $100 million agreement with Fox to keep Family Guy and American Dad until 2012. The agreement makes him the world's highest paid television writer.
Family Guy is more hit than miss with me so I tend to like his stuff. I really enjoy the emphasis on music he puts into the show.

OT: I'm not a theatre kind of guy so I'll probably rent this once it's available.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Despite me disliking most of Seth's most recent stuff, I think I'm going to go see this one.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Hate family guy in how instead of showing a lesson or moral it preaches and thinks its audience is retarded, plus i fond almost every joke either not funny, too obscure to where when i finally get it the punch is gone, make no logical sense (in a bad way), and literally will waste my time with a stupid chicken fight or fuck mothering Conway Twitty. Plus Peter acts so nutty to the point where it borders on sociopathical behavior and becomes a danger to his family and just damn annoying that he learns every lesson at least 5 times, plus at a point it becomes so outrageous it no longer becomes funny and becomes contemptible. Brian is a hypocrite, stewie as a baby is constantly being sexualized to the point of i feel dirty, louis is a complete ***** and a hypocrite, and meg is a waste of space, animation, and talent.

American dad would be more than just average if they dropped the damn alien and haley's stupid stupid stupid liberal spouting bullshit.

Cleveland show pissed me off from the get go because they canceled king of the hill to air another piece of garbage that is less thought provoking and not as well animated in art or character.

and then i forced myself to see ted.
It fucking sucked. yes he's a bear....thats the whole joke. the jokes last to long, the punchlines are predictable, it has no surprises so i become bored, i actually feel walberg and kunis could have been in a better film, and ryan rynolds cameo was kind of pointless.

dont watch Ted. just DVR 4 episodes of the big bang theory and experience actual humor with likable characters. and well timed jokes.

SAVE YOUR MONEY

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Eric Morales said:
"Family Guy got better after it came back?" Now either by some horrible luck I've missed all the good ones or Bob and I have some astoundingly different tastes.
this is the same bob who enjoys tim and eric.

so im starting to think he may be a fan of ANTI COMEDY, and to test this i demand a review of Freddy Got Fingered.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Aprilgold said:
I think the issue with Family Guy, which inspired part of your comment is that there is only so much pop-culture to go around. Like it or not you can only make a Alf or Cookie Monster joke so many times before it gets boring.

He just ran out of Pop-Culture to run his Pop-Culture comedy show and instead is focusing of just shitting on random celebrities and non-coherent drama, such as the episode where Peter's liver puts his life in mortal-danger and as such Brian has to give both of his so Peter can live. That whole episode was just unnecessary drama with no punch line and no character building what-so-ever. In another one Brian finds out Quaghmire hates him and as such is given shit for things Quaghmire did and almost succeeded to just two or three seasons earlier.

My problem with Seth is exactly what he said during the 100th episode special in that his whole reason for making his show the way it is to point out things that society does wrong but since he does it in a comedy-show no one honestly cares if he finds that X actress adopting Y child is bad.
Why is seth of all people lecturing on what society does wrong when all he does is just slam people who support what he doesnt? if anything his shows are a bad influence on culture because it shows that people are ok with random and stupid cultural references and slamming people in what amounts to being a mean spirited bastard just because he has a view.

Case in point: the minute i really got pissed at seth was during an episode with a costume party and louis dressed as the guy Laura Bush accidently killed in her younger years and they pointed it out with literally no punchline.

Besides the fact it was an accident where she ran a stop sign and collided with a another car and killed a guy and wasnt charged, it was only because she was the wife of Bush who is a conservative.
Thats not only not funny and a dick move, i actually felt bad for Laura. thats fucking harsh! im sure she feels like shit over the whole ordeal and is haunted for life over it.

Yet to top it off....i never once saw a ted kennedy drunk driving joke, and to this day....i dont think one exist.

After that i started noticing some very mean spirited dark humor thats more depressing than funny. and i just got tired of it because it was just being immature for a cheap ass joke. At least south park is lampooning potty humor and ultimately gives a fair moral thats reasonable balanced.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Jegsimmons said:
Aprilgold said:
I think the issue with Family Guy, which inspired part of your comment is that there is only so much pop-culture to go around. Like it or not you can only make a Alf or Cookie Monster joke so many times before it gets boring.

He just ran out of Pop-Culture to run his Pop-Culture comedy show and instead is focusing of just shitting on random celebrities and non-coherent drama, such as the episode where Peter's liver puts his life in mortal-danger and as such Brian has to give both of his so Peter can live. That whole episode was just unnecessary drama with no punch line and no character building what-so-ever. In another one Brian finds out Quaghmire hates him and as such is given shit for things Quaghmire did and almost succeeded to just two or three seasons earlier.

My problem with Seth is exactly what he said during the 100th episode special in that his whole reason for making his show the way it is to point out things that society does wrong but since he does it in a comedy-show no one honestly cares if he finds that X actress adopting Y child is bad.
Why is seth of all people lecturing on what society does wrong when all he does is just slam people who support what he doesnt? if anything his shows are a bad influence on culture because it shows that people are ok with random and stupid cultural references and slamming people in what amounts to being a mean spirited bastard just because he has a view.

Case in point: the minute i really got pissed at seth was during an episode with a costume party and louis dressed as the guy Laura Bush accidently killed in her younger years and they pointed it out with literally no punchline.

Besides the fact it was an accident where she ran a stop sign and collided with a another car and killed a guy and wasnt charged, it was only because she was the wife of Bush who is a conservative.
Thats not only not funny and a dick move, i actually felt bad for Laura. thats fucking harsh! im sure she feels like shit over the whole ordeal and is haunted for life over it.

Yet to top it off....i never once saw a ted kennedy drunk driving joke, and to this day....i dont think one exist.

After that i started noticing some very mean spirited dark humor thats more depressing than funny. and i just got tired of it because it was just being immature for a cheap ass joke. At least south park is lampooning potty humor and ultimately gives a fair moral thats reasonable balanced.
Your really congratulating South Park on giving a decent moral when its honestly /b/ of the Television Industry.

But I agree with you whole heartedly on everything else. Seth is just a prick who happened to think of a decent idea that has now turned into his own little political table for him to preach at everyone and say if you don't agree, your a idiot.

While I agree most conservatives are dumb, at least I give a reason but hes to much up his own ass too.

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
Of his 3 shows, I only really like American Dad nowadays. For one, it is the only of the 3 where 90% of the jokes aren't at least 30 years old. Second, it is the only of the three that doesn't abuse that loathsome thing called the Overly Long Gag. I hate how Seth makes jokes that waste 3-10 minutes of your life on the same godamn punchline for the only sake of wasting 3-10 minutes of your life. But also it is the only one where the characters are minimally consistent.

And since this movies sounds like it is a 90 minute overly long gag, I think I'll pass.

You know what I miss, Fox? Titus. What happened to that? It was basically the perfect comedy show that knows how to repeat a joke and have it still be funny.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
For me Family Guy is mostly hit and miss, with the misses being far more frequent in more recent episodes; with occasionally jokes being so plainly unfunny that it's almost insulting.

On other hand, I really like American Dad for some reason. And I keep liking it more and more. It is almost as if the everything that was funny about Family Guy is slowly seeping into American Dad, while leaving behind everything about it that sucked. It's pretty weird.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Aprilgold said:
Jegsimmons said:
Aprilgold said:

Your really congratulating South Park on giving a decent moral when its honestly /b/ of the Television Industry.

But I agree with you whole heartedly on everything else. Seth is just a prick who happened to think of a decent idea that has now turned into his own little political table for him to preach at everyone and say if you don't agree, your a idiot.

While I agree most conservatives are dumb, at least I give a reason but hes to much up his own ass too.
The reason i congratulate southpark is how neutral and fair it is on who/what it thrashes. One episode it will lampoon chritianity, but then at the end give it compliments. Or how they slammed mormons but respected on how they appreciate family and morals. And anyone who gets thrashed usually had it coming and in later seasons they became...more...mature in their choices i guess is the best way to say. Family guy just lampoons something usually supporting it with false evidence and unfair generalizations and pretty much says "fuck you" if you dont agree. And that shit get old quick.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Buretsu said:
misterprickly said:
I'm sorry but am I only one who still wonders why Seth Mcfarlane isn't unemployed and living on welfare?
He has the support of his fans. You know... drunk and/or stoned college kids with too much disposable income.
That's strange, most college kids I know are obsessed with "intelligent" humour and loathe McFarlane's shows. Retro cartoons, Parks and Recreation and South Park seem to be favourites while Family Guy is slammed as a terrible and unfair political soap box.

Tarquin10

May 2, 2011
mercifulwrath said:
...I disregarded everything after he said that he liked The Cleveland Show.
Indeed. I gave that show a season to get better, because Family Guy can be really funny at times and American Dad actually grew on me after a while, but it never did anything remotely funny.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Gonna give this one a miss. I really, really do not get the McFarlane humor.

bilkobob

May 26, 2009
I still think the idea for this movie borrowed heavily on the TV show Wilfred on FX.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Probably one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. I wasn't even aware of this movie until this video and I'm glad I watched it.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
I wonder if is answers the question of how a genital-lacking soft toy develops an over-eager sex-drive.