Escape to the Movies: Ted

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'll trust my gut on this one and say I really don't think I'll like it.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Jegsimmons said:
The reason i congratulate southpark is how neutral and fair it is on who/what it thrashes. One episode it will lampoon chritianity, but then at the end give it compliments. Or how they slammed mormons but respected on how they appreciate family and morals. And anyone who gets thrashed usually had it coming and in later seasons they became...more...mature in their choices i guess is the best way to say. Family guy just lampoons something usually supporting it with false evidence and unfair generalizations and pretty much says "fuck you" if you dont agree. And that shit get old quick.
Remember the Scientology Episodes? That was certainly "balanced". About as "balanced" as Fox News.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
It's lookin' pretty funny. I normally get tired of Seth's brand of comedy pretty quick, but he IS genuinely funny and poignant when he wants to be. I might give it a watch, but certainly not until after I've seen Brave.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
They could have done that as 'Calvin and Hobbes' all grown up, but I think Mr Watterson would rather have his genitalia sliced up in front of him.

jbm1986

May 18, 2012
A Boston man(Bob) enjoying a movie set in Boston? Seems a bit biased... :p

Anyways I saw Ted this weekend with my fiancee and though it was pretty funny for the most part. If you've seen an episode of Family Guy/American Dad/Cleavland Show you'll already know what to expect from this:

- sex jokes
- fart jokes
- gay jokes
- slight racism(about 911)
- use of an orchestra for 99% of the music

If you're a fan of the voice acting you'll be happy to know you get to see a few of the people who do the voices in Family Guy (aside from Mila Kunis).

If you're a Family Guy fan or just in the mood for a few laughs, go see it.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Radoh said:
Oh Bob, why are you so like you?

*does an episode of the big picture about how formulaic is not inherently bad*
*wanted to mark this down as formulaic and therefore bad*
Seriously, what?
What problem do you have with that, exactly?

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
SextusMaximus said:
Radoh said:

Seriously, what?
Because he denounces that "Formulaic is Bad" because he likes The Avengers, but then turns around and says he wants to mark another movie down for being too Formulaic.
You know, hypocrisy mostly being the issue here.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Spot1990 said:
Jegsimmons said:
Hate family guy in how instead of showing a lesson or moral it preaches and thinks its audience is retarded, plus i fond almost every joke either not funny, too obscure to where when i finally get it the punch is gone, make no logical sense (in a bad way), and literally will waste my time with a stupid chicken fight or fuck mothering Conway Twitty. Plus Peter acts so nutty to the point where it borders on sociopathical behavior and becomes a danger to his family and just damn annoying that he learns every lesson at least 5 times, plus at a point it becomes so outrageous it no longer becomes funny and becomes contemptible. Brian is a hypocrite, stewie as a baby is constantly being sexualized to the point of i feel dirty, louis is a complete ***** and a hypocrite, and meg is a waste of space, animation, and talent.

American dad would be more than just average if they dropped the damn alien and haley's stupid stupid stupid liberal spouting bullshit.

Cleveland show pissed me off from the get go because they canceled king of the hill to air another piece of garbage that is less thought provoking and not as well animated in art or character.

and then i forced myself to see ted.
It fucking sucked. yes he's a bear....thats the whole joke. the jokes last to long, the punchlines are predictable, it has no surprises so i become bored, i actually feel walberg and kunis could have been in a better film, and ryan rynolds cameo was kind of pointless.

dont watch Ted. just DVR 4 episodes of the big bang theory and experience actual humor with likable characters. and well timed jokes.

SAVE YOUR MONEY
I hate McFarlane, but Big Bang Theory? Really? It's just pop culture reference after pop culture reference and kaley cuoco because they honestly believe if you say Star Trek and put a hot blonde on screen nerds will watch. It's vapid bullshit.
i would think the same way if the characters were not so likeable and the jokes are actually well thought out and executed perfectly, and yes its pop culture, but at the same time its important to the overall plot of the episodes and reflects the characters personalities.

so really everything family guy does wrong, BBT does exactly right. plus some of it has science in it that teaches/introduces some interesting stuff. the writing is actually top tier.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
saintdane05 said:
Jegsimmons said:
The reason i congratulate southpark is how neutral and fair it is on who/what it thrashes. One episode it will lampoon chritianity, but then at the end give it compliments. Or how they slammed mormons but respected on how they appreciate family and morals. And anyone who gets thrashed usually had it coming and in later seasons they became...more...mature in their choices i guess is the best way to say. Family guy just lampoons something usually supporting it with false evidence and unfair generalizations and pretty much says "fuck you" if you dont agree. And that shit get old quick.
Remember the Scientology Episodes? That was certainly "balanced". About as "balanced" as Fox News.
however they did justify people interest for it as searching for truth. But seriously, its Scientology, its really not defend-able. its pretty damn culty. and im not trying to shit on peoples belief...but...really?
So really, they were about as fair to it as friggin possible.

Also, fox news joke...classy, just target fox and not msnbc or the other channels that are obviously just as biased.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Barciad said:
They could have done that as 'Calvin and Hobbes' all grown up, but I think Mr Watterson would rather have his genitalia sliced up in front of him.
i think every person who has ever heard of calvin and hobbes would do that...before ritually sacrificing the producers. like they almost did during the last air bender.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Eh. maybe I'll give this one a shot... after it comes out on TV. And while I liked Family Guy in t he beginning... I lost interest after it got... stupid. (Though I found the Star Wars parodies a riot, if that's worth anything...)

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Spot1990 said:
Jegsimmons said:
Spot1990 said:
Jegsimmons said:
Hate family guy in how instead of showing a lesson or moral it preaches and thinks its audience is retarded, plus i fond almost every joke either not funny, too obscure to where when i finally get it the punch is gone, make no logical sense (in a bad way), and literally will waste my time with a stupid chicken fight or fuck mothering Conway Twitty. Plus Peter acts so nutty to the point where it borders on sociopathical behavior and becomes a danger to his family and just damn annoying that he learns every lesson at least 5 times, plus at a point it becomes so outrageous it no longer becomes funny and becomes contemptible. Brian is a hypocrite, stewie as a baby is constantly being sexualized to the point of i feel dirty, louis is a complete ***** and a hypocrite, and meg is a waste of space, animation, and talent.

American dad would be more than just average if they dropped the damn alien and haley's stupid stupid stupid liberal spouting bullshit.

Cleveland show pissed me off from the get go because they canceled king of the hill to air another piece of garbage that is less thought provoking and not as well animated in art or character.

It fucking sucked. yes he's a bear....thats the whole joke. the jokes last to long, the punchlines are predictable, it has no surprises so i become bored, i actually feel walberg and kunis could have been in a better film, and ryan rynolds cameo was kind of pointless.

dont watch Ted. just DVR 4 episodes of the big bang theory and experience actual humor with likable characters. and well timed jokes.

SAVE YOUR MONEY
I hate McFarlane, but Big Bang Theory? Really? It's just pop culture reference after pop culture reference and kaley cuoco because they honestly believe if you say Star Trek and put a hot blonde on screen nerds will watch. It's vapid bullshit.
i would think the same way if the characters were not so likeable and the jokes are actually well thought out and executed perfectly, and yes its pop culture, but at the same time its important to the overall plot of the episodes and reflects the characters personalities.

so really everything family guy does wrong, BBT does exactly right. plus some of it has science in it that teaches/introduces some interesting stuff. the writing is actually top tier.
The characters are as one dimensional as they come. They have giant neon signs over their heads pointing out the one role they will play all the time in every episode. The "jokes" are usually just lazy references, "if we say Star Trek a lot nerds will love us".
except that is completely false, while they do have a main roll, they are given their own back stories, families, motivations, quirks, ect. Plus its not the stereotype, its how you present it. and big bang theory presents it very well to where they are both likable and somewhat deep. If you actually start watching a few more episodes and pay attention youd probably notice.
Also you know what other very successful show has stereotypes with signs over their heads but became a cultural icon? Star trek.....yep. in fact in the original tv show i think chekov and sulu got so little characterization i even wondered if they were originally meant to be main characters or just became popular like McCoys assistant nurse.
Plus you're exaggerating the lazyness of the jokes in BBT. yes they reference star trek, but alot of the times they reference either more obscure thing or just complete science jokes.
Really i dont feel youve given the show a chance, i given family guy a chance...years of it, actually. BBT got me hooked in only 3 episodes.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Spot1990 said:
Jegsimmons said:

SAVE YOUR MONEY
Meh, i dont particularly like Big bang theory...but this?

Is hilarious.

OT: heard about it, saw the creator of family guy created it and it put me off...

However, Movie Bob has just peeked my interest, if a friend wants to see it, then i might go, but i wont die if i don't see it.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
The thing is, Seth's blue-collar bar-room humor is only funny once because it's based on the same joke: that intolerance is funny. Sexism, racism, whatever. It strips the tires fast, especially since I haven't found MacFarlane funny since Blue Harvest, and only because the novelty of ripping off a nostalgic movie and filling it with Family Guy characters hadn't become par the course for every second episode of Family Guy that followed. The Star Wars parodies are a prime example of Seth's brand of humor, that of a single funny joke told so many times it quickly loses its flavor. I barely had reason to laugh at Something Something Something Dark Side and It's a Trap was half-assed pandering at its worst, stuffed with so many tired internet memes that even the title couldn't escape it.

*Sighs* Still, Ted's a better film than That's My Boy. You know after The Avengers the quality of this years films has steadily been dropping.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Radoh said:
SextusMaximus said:
Radoh said:

Seriously, what?
Because he denounces that "Formulaic is Bad" because he likes The Avengers, but then turns around and says he wants to mark another movie down for being too Formulaic.
He wants to, but doesn't, because he enjoyed the movie.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
SextusMaximus said:
Radoh said:
SextusMaximus said:
Radoh said:

Seriously, what?
He wants to, but doesn't, because he enjoyed the movie.
And that's the issue, he WANTS to.
He automatically decided it was too formulaic and should therefore be marked down, done as an automatic knee-jerk reaction when the first thing he railed against in that The Big Picture was people who automatically marked things down just because it's formulaic.
Whether he did or not doesn't change that he too wanted to do just that.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
SnakeoilSage said:
The thing is, Seth's blue-collar bar-room humor is only funny once because it's based on the same joke: that intolerance is funny.
Yup. It just about sums up my opinion of MacFarlane's work in one line.
I will only add: Intolerance and RANDOM human idiocy.

That was what I felt when I saw the pilot episode of Family Guy.
That's what I've felt for years, and it's what I feel now.