Escape to the Movies: That Awkward Moment

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
That Awkward Moment

The most awkward movie comes out in the most awkward month for movie releases. Coincidence? Probably.

Watch Video

Conner42

Jul 29, 2009
I almost want to watch it anyway just to see what it's like...

But, I do think Miles Teller is showing some promise as an actor. I saw this movie called The Spectacular Now recently and I thought he did pretty well in the part.(EDIT: The fact that he got confused for Joseph Gordon Levitt can't be bad :D)

I 'unno. It's been weeks since the last time I've been to the movies, and I really want to go again. So, maybe I'll just throw a dart. But, out of all the movies, this one seems to look the least bad, I suppose, if that is worth anything.

God, if Oscar movies from last year didn't get delayed til this month, there would be literally nothing good to watch for me in January. However, last year, there was The Last Stand, which I somewhat liked.

Definitely a "Fuck you, it's January" movie.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Yay, more stuff released to pander to my generation, how fun(!)

I saw my future opinion of the movie from a mile away, just based on the title.

As for Nintendo, they seriously need to stop whatever it is that they are doing now:

"So... the 3DS isn't selling that well, what should we do?"

"Uh... OH! MAKE ANOTHER CONSOLE!"

*fast forwards*

"So... the WiiU isn't selling that well either, any ideas?"

"NINTENDO FUSION!"

Guys, please stop releasing more hardware to try and sell your current hardware, just bring out the usual stuff, it will sell, and everything will continue as normal.

Unless you create "Fun for All the Family" VR sets/arenas, you will never come close to the landslide that was the Wii.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I'm guessing The Escapist wouldn't let bob do a video review of Return to Nuke'em High: Volume 1 this week. Would have been way more interesting than the crap that came out this week.

I really wish The Lego Movie or anything remotely good was coming down the pipes this week. But, its January; the "Abandon all hope ye who enter here" month for movies. Best to hunker down and go through Netflix, Redbox, or your local video rental store (assuming there is still one in your neighborhood) for anything worth watching.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
All I got out from this was "LEGO Movie is coming out soon!"

Speaking of which, when is it coming out exactly? I'm hoping to do another siblings day out and it would make a great high point to it.

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
Well I won't watch this in cinema that's for sure. Seems like the kind of thing I'll watch to mellow out after watching something serious. I don't think anybody really expected anything more than that for this.

Miles Teller is alright, he was pretty good in The Spectacular Now at least(although forgettable in everything else).

jdarksun

Nov 3, 2003
The reason you should be excited for Godzillia is because it's Godzilla!

I mean, yeah, Pacific Rim was great and all... but it owes a loooot to big green.

Apr 17, 2009
Ed130 said:

Speaking of which, when is it coming out exactly? I'm hoping to do another siblings day out and it would make a great high point to it.
Feb 14th in the UK, I imagine it might be out a bit earlier in the US (assuming thats where you're from, since I think most escapists are) though the soonest dates I've seen are Feb 6 so not that much earlier

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The Dubya said:
The reason you aren't excited for this new Godzilla movie is because of PACIFIC RIM.

I mean really, once you have a BUNCH of giant monsters battling cool giant robots, what's so exciting about one giant monster versus some normal ol' humans?

Booooooring!
Actually, there's more than one monster. Godzilla seems to be taking his 80's series antihero persona, rather than the outright villain from the original or the superhero from the 60s-70s films. Godzilla will be the force of nature that doesn't give a shit about the humans he's stomping on, they're just in the way while he goes to fight some other giant monsters.

Apparently there are going to be at least two monsters for him to fight, according to the reports from Comic-Con. One of them is said to look like a big ass centipede crossed with the Cloverfield monster.

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
Does this guy look at ANYTHING outside of the race/gender/sexuality lens? I guess the whole site has drawn in that crowd, but Bob is the worst I think.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Mr. Q said:
I'm guessing The Escapist wouldn't let bob do a video review of Return to Nuke'em High: Volume 1 this week. Would have been way more interesting than the crap that came out this week.
He did a write up on that last week for Intermission. I clicked some of the links and, while it certainly is an American '80s nostalgia trip, I don't think there's much more you could add that wasn't in his

I really wish The Lego Movie or anything remotely good was coming down the pipes this week. But, its January; the "Abandon all hope ye who enter here" month for movies. Best to hunker down and go through Netflix, Redbox, or your local video rental store (assuming there is still one in your neighborhood) for anything worth watching.
I've used the opportunity to watch the entire Godfather series and The Usual Suspects (Kaisar Soze!) with Scarface, Pulp Fiction, and The Big Labowski planned for the next few weeks.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Ed130 said:

Feb 14th in the UK, I imagine it might be out a bit earlier in the US (assuming thats where you're from, since I think most escapists are) though the soonest dates I've seen are Feb 6 so not that much earlier
The LEGO Movie is coming to theaters Feb. 7th, which too this Legomaniac is NOT SOON ENOUGH!!!

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
I wish one of these years there would be a good movie out on my birthday.

The reason you aren't excited, or able to say why you aren't excited, about Godzilla is because they haven't shown you enough to get excited about. The trailers are AMAZING trailers, but you still don't know what that means for the movie.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I wanna know who the hell thinks it's a good idea to keep making rom-coms based in New York... or rom-coms at all for that matter.

I don't care about your cocky but charming main character, I don't care about your new age, outside the box, 'I buy all my clothes second hand because it gives them personality' love interest, I don't care about your wise cracking yet sad inside comedic relief character and I sure as shit don't care about your 'hey, traditionl values are okay after all' f*cking message... F*CK ME I HATE ROM-COMS!

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Glad to see this sounds as awful as the bus-ads made me think.

Ten bob says that someone somewhere is trying to greenlight/produce a film called "mfw".

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
The Gentleman said:
Mr. Q said:
He did a write up on that last week for Intermission. I clicked some of the links and, while it certainly is an American '80s nostalgia trip, I don't think there's much more you could add that wasn't in his

I've used the opportunity to watch the entire Godfather series and The Usual Suspects (Kaisar Soze!) with Scarface, Pulp Fiction, and The Big Labowski planned for the next few weeks.
Good choice of movies there. Need to go through my DVD/Blu-ray collection to re-watch Usual Suspects and Pulp Fiction.