Escape to the Movies: The 2010 MovieBob Awards

randomID

Dec 29, 2008
Oh damn that pool robot!
To be reminded of this incredible character just made my day. =D

Also: Captcha Error

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
This has been a fuckin awesome year for movies.

Scott Pilgrim, KickAss, Toy Story 3, Inception, the Social Network, Black Swan, 127 Hours, Kings Speech, and I'm sure plenty of others.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
2011 is looking to be very good, though my money is on the mutants from the 60's with the Pilot being a close second. Captain America will be O.K but lacking international audience and Thor just looks like the sort of movie that'll flop at the audience.

As for Dren, it's always the one's that are pretty much human, but not quite there that are scary. The not quite there creating that unsettling feeling that we're looking at a human, but something is wrong.

Also thank you for not mentioning The Expendables.

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
SpiderJerusalem said:
Also, Gibson hasn't starred in a movie for almost three years.
Actually Gibson was in Edge of Darkness that was released last year, MovieBob actually reviewed it as well.

OT: Bob I don't know what you mean by Monsters being bad, I really enjoyed the film.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
If nothing else, I've always said that the pool cleaning robot and the dog were the only interesting characters in PA 2. Which, in my mind, was the most laughably bad horror movie to come out this year.

Another Transformers movie, means another awesome review/rant from movie bob :).

solidstatemind said:
Well that was a pleasant surprise: I saw 'awards show' and thought it was going to be 6 minutes or so of slobbering on 'Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.' (Which, tbh, my serious disappointment in most likely was a product of the horrendous amount of geek-hype it got.)

On the other hand, I am disappointed that there was no mention of 'Inception'. I am an unabashed Nolan fan, but that was easily the best movie of the year. Easily.

Flashing forward to '11, there are a couple of movies I'm looking forward to, but probably none more than 'Thor'.

EDIT: Woot. 1000 posts.
I loved Inception too, but I wouldn't say that it was easily the best film of the year. There are so many other movies that are in the running. Inception was great, but in my mind, the winner of the Best Picture Oscar this year is going to be Black Swan. Darren Aronofsky was snubbed for Requiem for a Dream, but this year he's gonna win it. Inception is a close second to the brilliance that is Black Swan.

Gratz on 1000 posts :).

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
I've been keeping my eye on splice since 2007, but I still havn't seen it...

And I share your pain moviebob, I was hoping for a good big g film too...

At least our wait for godzilla 3d and toho's comback is almost over...

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
daviejjd said:
I dunno Movie Bob i'm becoming less of a fan of yours, for one you spend a very large amount of time on comics and thier movies, and people like the traditional categories because that is what people care about, rather than jokes about pool cleaning robots, make jokes out of your other show and get this one back to it's roots, in the beginning there was one thing MOVIES.
That was no joke. When I watched Paranormal 2 in the cinema, I cheered every time it came on screen. I didn't give a rats ass about the baby, the ghost who kept bumping into the furniture, or the retarded dad. I cared about the pool cleaner. It was like putting Wall-E in an Exorcist movie.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I saw the trailer for Transformers 3 just a couple weeks ago. Don't get me wrong, I liked bits and pieces of the first two movies. But just based off the trailer, I can tell I'm not going to like this third one at all... unless they decide to stick the dinobots or unicron in... then I might just consider changing my opinion... maybe...

As for that "Ninjas Damn" line... that seems to happen a lot in trailers for movies. There was a line in the Iron Man 2 trailer that wasn't used in the movie. I remember that "Might Joe Young" had a line in the trailer I don't remember hearing at all in the movie which disappointed me a lot. Why do they do silly things like that?

And I'm looking forward to Captain America. I'm skeptical on Thor... but I'm anxious to see the Cap in action after all these years.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
SpiderJerusalem said:
By that definition Yahtzee is a critic as well, something that I think most would agree he is not. A critic, a good one at least, offers valid analysis on the subject they're critiquing, provide commentary on the value of the material and while offering their personal take as a final word, they are for the most part objective on the material. None of these fit Bob as a character (because who knows what he's like in real life).
Of course Yahtzee is a critic. I find Yahtzee's and MovieBob's opinions to be valid, and I dislike it when people bang on about "objectivism" and being "fair and balanced" when there is really no point in something as subective as liking or disliking a movie. I'm not fair and balanced. No audience member is in the theatre. What use is a critic who doesn't watch a movie like a normal person?

A good critic is one whom you are familiar with; one whose tastes are familiar to you, so you can compare them against your own. You know that Yahtzee really dislikes jrpgs, so you know you can afford to disregard his reviews on them if you yourself likes jrpgs. Movie Bob loves ninjas, monsters and lesbians, so if you do too, you should pay attention to his reviews of movies that prominently feature them. The fact that you know this much about them makes them far more useful reviewers than some anonymous guy from Gamespot who struggles to keep up some pretense of "objectivism".

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
HankMan said:
And you ask WHY Movie Bob?
http://rpmedia.ask.com/ts?u=/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3f/Marvel_vs._DC.png/180px-Marvel_vs._DC.png"It wasn't my fault!"
Okay, I guess I'm just stupid but I don't know what he was saying why about!

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
What I like about the Iron Man 2 trailer was the scene with both Iron Man and War Machine side by side before a fight. That was epic.

A cleaning robot is the best character? Wow.

Now you've made me want to watch Splice. But first I have to see if it's viewable on Netflix for the Wii.

I'm guessing the "Ninjas...Damn." line will be a deleted scene in the DVD. If not, then what was the point of including it to the trailer in the first place?

tklivory

Oct 20, 2008
Drakmeire said:
Why do I get the feeling that there is going to be Wallace Wells/Pool Cleaning Robot slash fiction coming up in the near future because of this...
WHY BOB WHY!?!

Also Splice was one of the best movies I'd seen all year not just because it was great but it indirectly inspired this video
<youtube=ygI-2F8ApUM>
Thanks for posting that video. For some reason, every time I see it I can't help but smile. :)

OT: There are worse directors for a Godzilla movie, Bob - even worse than Uwe Boll. C'mon, who wouldn't fall over backwards off a cliff to avoid a Godzilla movie directed by, say, Woody Allen?

*Shudder*

faselei

Jul 19, 2008
Monsters was't very good? You're joking! It was subtle, moody, beautiful... it was a bloody masterpiece! Quite british, but you liked four lions so that can't be it. Ho hum, each to their own.

Ivan Torres

Sep 27, 2010
maninahat said:
daviejjd said:
I dunno Movie Bob i'm becoming less of a fan of yours, for one you spend a very large amount of time on comics and thier movies, and people like the traditional categories because that is what people care about, rather than jokes about pool cleaning robots, make jokes out of your other show and get this one back to it's roots, in the beginning there was one thing MOVIES.
That was no joke. When I watched Paranormal 2 in the cinema, I cheered every time it came on screen. I didn't give a rats ass about the baby, the ghost who kept bumping into the furniture, or the retarded dad. I cared about the pool cleaner. It was like putting Wall-E in an Exorcist movie.
Wait why?