Escape to the Movies: The Amazing Spider-Man

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Nerdrage much?

As soon as I saw the 2nd set of trailers (after the action based 1st one) I had a strong suspicion this would be more about romance bullshit than fighting lizard.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Eh, seems like a lot of over the top rage from Bob. Especially considering the reception with both critics(not counting Bob) and audiences has been good-very good.

Gonna go with Bob being wrong on this one, but I'll just have to see for myself.

The over-emotional reviews are getting old though, tone it down.

edit: People actually enjoy listening to his obviously impetuous fanboy rage? I find these videos my least favourite of his. Bordering on unprofessional if anything.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Whytewulf said:
scotth266 said:
Strangely enough, opinions about this Spider-Man movie appear to be all over the board. Some reviews say it's great, others say it's mediocre, and some (like Bob here) say it's piss-poor. I'm betting it'll wind up being just sort of okay, doing some things right and others wrong. I'll wind up seeing it myself, if only because I like Spider-Man.
I have seen that as well. It would interesting to see if those were based on whether they are reviewing the movie on it's own meritcs, based on the comics or based on the previous movies. I know it's only been 10 years, and they wanted to continue the franchise and had to do it with different actors. I wonder if they should have just continued on with no backstory and a new villian?
Would have been too hard to do. They've already used up a good portion of Spidey's best villains (Doctor Octopus, Green Goblin, and Venom) so the roster of potential threats is kind of thin. Mysterio? Electro? Rhino? Meh. None of them except Mysterio have ever been good character material, and since movies need more complex villains than comic books, they needed a way to bring some of the old ones back. This is also why Marvel's not in a big rush to make more Hulk movies... his villains tend to be rather crappy, except the Abomination, and we've already gone over that.

As a semi-spoiler for potential future movies, since this round of films is based of the Ultimate Spider-Man universe, Venom's probably going to be coming back (his parents did research on a black super-suit that became Ultimate Venom).

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Saw the movie a few days ago, and aside from agreeing with the points that the Lizard looks like crap and some characters are one-dimensional, I have to call bullcrap on this entire review. Folks, if you're in the market for a fresh reinterpretation of the characters and the source material that doesn't feel the need to slavishly stick to every single detail laid out in the old stories it's based on, this movie will deliver, and you won't be sorry for the bucks you spend to go see it. Seriously, this review is 90% undeserved bile in my opinion, so if you're at all interested in this flic go see it instead of skipping it because Bob says you should.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
I have waited a long time for a spider man that actually has a sense of humor, uses puns etc when fighting etc. I saw a clip (the one where he says he's scared of the little knife) that gave me some hope of that finally coming true.

I am a big fan of spider man. It was the main comic I collected as a child and I have never been satisfied with the movies so far. I'm hoping this will be different. I think, even after watching this review, that I will still go watch it and give it a chance. If it really is a train wreck, then maybe they can at least improve on it next time. If nobody watches this movie and it bombs....there will not even be a next time for them to hopefully improve on.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I think it says a lot that I haven't been excited for this movie at all. I mean, I was going crazy for The Avengers because I could feel (from tailers, production details, etc.) that it was going to be good. But a lot of the associated press and promotion leading up to this movie just couldn't get me interested.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
As I've already told several people. Why would they reboot a property that has only seen a few years since it's last installment? Money, and that's it.

Emma Stone still looks great.

kanbabrif

Aug 30, 2011
Thanks for the entertainment, Bob. Ahead of time, no less. Now off to read the opinion of a REAL critic. Haven't watched the movie yet, will do so anyway.

And about the "just so happens" bit: well, wasn't that that made the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon so great? The feeling that everything was connected somehow? Maybe that's just me.

Next "I've made my mind about this and you can't change it" review: The Dark Knight Rises. Good, almost great, but doesn't hold a candle to the phenomenon that was DK and therefore it'll fail.

captcha: pumpkin pie. Is that you, Goblin?

Chris Mosher

Nov 28, 2011
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Krion_Vark said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
To be fair: the villain was probably the weakest part of the movie. The Lizard was too much like Doctor Octopus from Spderman 2. But i didnÄt mind all that much because Amazing Spiderman tried to be mainly about Spiderman himself and not as much about the villain.
I don't know if this is much of an excuse but in the comics Doc Oct does not have the same relationship with Peter. The Sam Raimi basically combined the Lizard's story as a mentor for Peter. The only relationship between Doc Ock and Peter is when Ock dates Aunt May.

Carnage95

Sep 21, 2009
I've been a Spider-Man fan since I was three or five years old and I absolutely adore him. I saw the film twice and I love every minute of it! Sure there were a one or two things that they didn't include that made me a tad disappointed, but overall this film is THE Spider-Man film I have been waiting for. Andrew Garfield totally nails it as Peter Parker and he looks like him too. The film also tugged on my heartstrings where as the previous trilogy didn't do anything for me.

The previous trilogy was a total cheese-fest, the main cast's acting was mediocre and I've always cringed at the dialogue between Peter and Mary Jane. The only actors that I felt that stood out were Bruce Campbell and J.K Simmons. Other than the costume design, Tobey's Spider-Man didn't act like Spider-Man. Hardly any wisecracking and taunting of his enemies.

Go watch this film if you love Spider-Man because this is the one I was waiting for and they delivered.

Also to those who aren't going to watch this film because they want it back with Marvel Studios, go watch the film seriously. If you didn't know, Sony and Marvel might make a deal to have Spider-Man join the Marvel Cinematic Universe. There was a rumour that the OSCORP building was going to be in The Avengers, however they took it out because of the timing of the films. There were interviews conducted that have asked if Spider-Man could join the MCU and they said if Spider-Man does well, they might work something out.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelMovieverseNews/news/?a=61371
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/eyegloo/news/?a=62896

Edit: Fixed the link issue.

kanbabrif

Aug 30, 2011
Zing said:
People actually enjoy listening to his obviously impetuous fanboy rage? I find these videos my least favourite of his. Bordering on unprofessional if anything.
Hey, it's rather amusing, in a, say... Spoony kind of way.

(is it too soon yet?)

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Sonicron said:
Saw the movie a few days ago, and aside from agreeing with the points that the Lizard looks like crap and some characters are one-dimensional, I have to call bullcrap on this entire review. Folks, if you're in the market for a fresh reinterpretation of the characters and the source material that doesn't feel the need to slavishly stick to every single detail laid out in the old stories it's based on, this movie will deliver, and you won't be sorry for the bucks you spend to go see it. Seriously, this review is 90% undeserved bile in my opinion, so if you're at all interested in this flic go see it instead of skipping it because Bob says you should.
I'm with you, this movie was really good, and aside from a few small issues (The Lizard's face, Peter dropping the hunt for Ben's killer), it was a great movie. Spidey had the smart mouth, was a realistic guy who got really nervous around cute girls. The action scenes were good, and even though they did outright say "with great power comes great responsibility", I LOVED the way they handled it. "Peter, your father had a rule he lived by, a principal, really. He said that whenever someone has the ability to do good things, he's obligated to do it. That's not a choice, that's an obligation." It was explained in a way I can see an actual surrogate parent explaining things to a high school kid.

I loved Garfield as Peter, he played it SO well. I had doubts from the trailers, but seriously, it's like he was designed to be Peter Parker. Tobey Macguire was just a horrible Peter Parker. He never fit the role, was never snappy enough, and really just came across as a pushover, even in costume.

Seriously, this is a good movie, and well worth watching. If it gets a sequel, and I hope it does, I hope they go with some more inventive names, though. Perhaps "The Spectacular Spider-Man"?

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
HumpinHop said:
SilverHammerMan said:
I hate to be this kind of guy, but I really can't describe how happy I am to see that I was totally right about this movie.
Also, one of Bob's complaints about the movie feeling coincidental is kind of funny since in the original comics, everything is very much not coincidental. Curt Connors is just some scientist, he doesn't know Spider-Man until later, Doc Ock is also just a guy, hell, Steve Ditko, the original writer/artist/Stan-Lee-collaborator-who-may-or-may-not-have-done-most-of-the-work, is alleged to have left the series originally because he felt it was unrealistic that the Green Goblin "just happened" to be someone Peter Parker knew.
I didn't see this on opening night and I have no plans to watch it at any point in the foreseeable future.
Don't you think shutting out all possibility of seeing a film based on one critic is a little close minded, especially to gloat about it?

Roger Ebert gave this 3.5/4 Stars, and the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are at 74%.
It's not a little close minded, it's very close minded. But it's not something that I'm doing just based on Bob's review, I was aware of the dubious studio politics behind it well before I watched this review and nothing I saw in promotion of the movie drew me in. I have seen the other reviews, and they are positive, but the fact remains that even independent of Bob, this is just not a movie that I want to see, the trailers didn't interest me and seemed to hint at a changed origin that I feel misunderstands the core of the character.
This isn't a movie that I want to see, and I've know that for a while. Maybe in a couple of months I'll watch it on Netflix or something, but I do not want to support this movie in the theaters. Close minded yes, but based on my own observations, not just a single critic's review.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Wait, so the video game tie in is potentially BETTER? Hmm...

...I'll reserve judgment for now since it is not currently out where I am (unlike Avengers films) but this does make me think twice. I haven't much buzz yet but then again I've currently avoid browsing Rotten Tomatoes.

But for some reason, despite all that has been said, all I can say is YAY! AGE OF MYTHOLOGY ZEUS WAS SHOWN!

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
I'll give Bob credit. While I don't often agree with some of his assorted rantings and tangents. I have found that he does seem to have a high degree of accuracy in predicting what I would like and dislike in a movie. This looks like one to avoid. Even when it comes out on video. It looks Green Hornet level bad.

Diegolomac

Jan 28, 2009
Ranorak said:
Diegolomac said:
Ranorak said:
This is bizzaro world.

No, I don't mean that the release of a rushed, cheap spider-man licence renewal movies would be a miss, I mean, the video game is actually pretty fun.

We have a movie that has a ...not-terrible video game, but this time the movie sucks.
It's like X-Men Origins Wolverine all over again.
I keep hearing that, but never actually played the game.

You recommend it?
Hell yeah I recommend it, it's one of the very few movie tie-in games from the last 10 years or so that is actually quite good. It's not Spiderman 2 level of awesomeness, but it's still pretty awesome. Especially because it adds a lot more stuff to the story, like the Sentinel production facility. And it's also the only Wolverine game out there where you actually feel as Wolverine, where you get to see your body regenerating and bullet holes closing, covering once again with skin your adamantium skeleton.

EDIT: Though on retrospect the game should have ended after the Sentinel boss fight, because the fight with Gambit is kinda buggy and the only thing more uninteresting than that is the Deadpool fight. Although that isn't exactly the game's fault, since the Deadpool fight was already stupid in the movie.

fnartilter

Apr 13, 2010
I didn't plan to see it after the terrible third movie, and this just put the nail in the coffin.