Escape to the Movies: The Amazing Spider-Man

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
Shirokurou said:
Actually, it wasn't that bad.
I enjoyed it.
What bugged me was that Peter Parker is now a smooth-talking hipster, but otherwise it was good.
No Avengers or Watchmen, but 7/10 kinda good.
I thought he seemed kinda stoned throughout, at least when he was as peter parker, and I liked it. I didn't like the lack of "With great power must also come great responsibility", but yeah, It was pretty good.

I think Batman is gonna blow it out of the water though.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
BlacklightVirus said:
I not sure what's more pathetic. Bob's fanboy rage or his attempt to be even more like Yahtzee by speaking at his speed.
No, what's truly pathetic (and utterly HILARIOUS) is people throwing a tantrum at Bob because of his opinion. The comments section is amusing as hell with how juvenile and insecure people are acting.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
Sounds like a great movies I'm really going to spend my hard earned cash on....
Oh well maybe Ice age 4 then?...

(heh captcha "spend time" sounds like something I won't be doing at the cinema...)

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Timnoldzim said:
Oh, wow, somebody call the wahmbulance, guys, Bob's angry!

I mean, if you don't like a movie then you don't like a movie, but I don't think that's really his feelings on this. He seems to be mostly upset about the circumstances behind the film's creation (which really doesn't mean jack shit, no matter what he says) and it's deviations from the source material (JJJ isn't in it? Ohhhh, nooooo, movie ruined!), rather than the film itself. And he's had it in for this thing since the beginning; he's always wanted it to bomb because how dare they fire Sam Raimi!

I have never heard Bob be this legitimately angry before, and considering how he's previously talked about gender, racial, and sexual politics, that REALLY makes me sad. I know he's "proud to be a geek" and all that, but it's just a movie, and one that he's clearly more angry about being different than he is about being bad.

Bob, please leave Fanboy Mode and try and enter your Legitimate Film Critic Mode.
Seems to me, Bob had plenty of objective criticisms here, beyond just fanboy rage. Most of the comments he made at the beginning were about the narrative being contrived and the characters being uninteresting. Basically that the movie just isn't doing anything interesting with the franchise. Now, I haven't seen it, so I don't know if what Bob has to say actually bears out, but it sounds like the movie is just going to be bland and forgettable for most. If you happen to be a big fan of Spider Man, then you'll probably hate it as much as Bob did. Or, you know, if you can see the machinations of the studio system working behind the scenes, motivated only to crank out a product and not really by the desire to create something genuinely interesting or special (which Bob, of all people, can), you certainly won't have any reason to give this movie the benefit of the doubt.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
DRTJR said:
...How do you make a Spider man movie with out J. Jonah Jameson?
Wait what? Any remaining urge to see this movie is gone.

AS for what Bob said...the previews for the movie looked like rubbish to begin with and I always found the Lizard to be a silly villain. Sadly, family and friends alike have been ranting about how "amazing" this movie is. I tend to agree with Bob though, so I think I'll wait a while to see this, if at all.

Aiddon said:
No, what's truly pathetic (and utterly HILARIOUS) is people throwing a tantrum at Bob because of his opinion. The comments section is amusing as hell with how juvenile and insecure people are acting.
^This

Landrius

Feb 14, 2011
I enjoyed this movie. I went in skeptical, not really sure it was going to be any good, and was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't "amazing", maybe, but it was good for me.

And I must admit to the belief that I enjoyed it more than the original trilogy's beginning. It has been awhile since I saw that one, so perhaps I'm not remembering it well, but the impression I have in my mind is of a lot of seriousness and sadness. This one has some of that but it also has some other stuff too. Shiny spectacles and some humor, mainly, which I don't remember being as present in the previous origin movie. Although perhaps it's just my memory failing me.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
NO MOVIEBOB, tell us how you REALLY feel!

Sad, the action scenes in previews actually look pretty bad ass. Too bad the movie has no substance to back it up.

While we're on the subject of bad superhero movies, I recently saw the first Ghost Rider film. Holy shit is that thing a pile of flaming garbage. I literally could not finish it. Too corny, too stupid. It makes Green Lantern look like Spider-Man 2. It is without a doubt the worst movie I've seen in quite some time, and I LOVE Nicholas Cage.

Alicia Mee

Nov 9, 2011
Here is my beef with the movie, it wasn't a super hero movie. Peter Parker is a nerd, and is picked on in highschool. What I got from this movie was that he was general outcast, but it's not bad he's just kind of a loner and mildly misunderstood. I also didn't grasp much that he really cared about anyone, and Ben Parker didn't quite feel to do anything for Peter. What happened to the "With great power comes great responsibility!" While the movie was fun, I do prefer the Raimi version over this. It was campy, yeah, but the first one really grasped the concept of Spiderman is a hero! This one more-so showed that Spiderman had to clean up a mess, and has a massive chip on his shoulder. While I know what they were trying to capture, I do wish they really embraced as well that Peter finally understood that he is a hero, and the city needs him.

If they make a second movie I hope they step it up, and drop this whole twilight love thing they have going on. Hell I was excited for the first movie, even dressed up like Black Cat! Granted many thought I was catwoman. So yeah, they need to really sit down and have someone that clearly shows talent write the script, and screenplays.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Spent five bucks on it, liked it. Thought it was a little more serious than the Sam R. version. Though over all on par with it. I stopped watching these for Bob's actual opinion a long time ago. He's like the Yahtzee of movies: You just watch him to see how much the current offering is going to piss him off.

MrJoyless

May 26, 2010
Ranorak said:
Diegolomac said:
Ranorak said:
This is bizzaro world.

No, I don't mean that the release of a rushed, cheap spider-man licence renewal movies would be a miss, I mean, the video game is actually pretty fun.

We have a movie that has a ...not-terrible video game, but this time the movie sucks.
It's like X-Men Origins Wolverine all over again.
I keep hearing that, but never actually played the game.

You recommend it?
Its a pretty good game, it can get a bit frustrating at a few points but I'd say a solid B to B+ game IMHO

VanillaBean

Feb 3, 2010
Look guys its bad, very bad, kind of a hilarious type of dumb bad. In fact this will be that movie where I started to get worried about the people who like it type of bad.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Sis said:
Whenever someone asks me why I think your opinion should be taken with a grain of salt half the time, I'll point em to this video. You've been against this movie since before anything got announced besides that it's going to happen. And it shows. Even if this movie was The Dark Knight levels of good, you'd probably still say it was bad.
Indeed, Bob can be a biased fanboy at times, this is one of those times.

Just to point out, this movie actually has the very decent score of 66 of Metacritics, the same score as Bobs much loved (despite all of its blatant faults, like i said; a bias fanboy) Captain America.

Treewarf

Jun 30, 2012
I liked the movie. I honestly thought its biggest flaw was its predictability. I understand that everyone knows the story of spiderman, but they could have thrown in a twist or turn that the non comic readers like myself would have been surprised by. Superhero movies in general have a problem with introducing foreshadowing that doesn't have a sign that says "Hi, the introduction of this plot piece is obvious foreshadowing."

I think a movie that did that well Batman Begins, where you are first introduced to the fear inducing toxin and you think "Wow, that stuff seems really evil", and then you are told that the toxin emitter was stolen and you think "Oh gee, the bad guys have something up their sleeve" and its not until later that you realize "Oh crap, that crazy toxin that Liam Neeson used on Batman is the evil plot." Things like this, or subtle foreshadowing that you really don't even notice until the second time through the movie really make it good, and I think this movie failed at it.

What Spiderman did do well is character development. For me, this is a must for superhero movies, and movies like Batman Begins, Watchmen, Spiderman 2, or even Kick-Ass are among my favorite superhero movies because they do this rather than focus on the action. For the most part, we know going into these movies who is going to win and who is going to lose, and I think its more about the personal journey for the hero rather than how many guys they punch and how impressively they do it. Its for this reason that I was not that impressed with The Avengers. It had a great group of characters, but the movie was mostly just a beat-em-up against worthless foes organized by a comic-relief villain, and focused on that rather than the journey of the characters. Though I do think the movie developed The Hulk well, and I did not see any of the leadin movies which I understand will hurt my experience.

All in all, I thought Spiderman was an enjoyable movie in which people should check out. Bob is mad because the movie probably should not have ever been made, but it was, and it was still kindof fun. Video Gamers deal with a lot of sequels and whatnot probably should not be made, and while many of them are simple cash-ins, they can be enjoyable nonetheless (I'm looking at you Assassin's Creed: Revelations)

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
You know how you say that your purpose is not to inform our moving going habits and despite constantly bringing up personal biases and disagreeing with the majority of professional reviewers, that you're somehow examing the objective qualities and integrity of a film?

Thats why you can't do crud like this, I've heard good reviews of this film from all types of people. Roger Ebert to Timeout Magazine to the sporty dude from my old school to a random guy off TV Tropes. I'm sorry but you just haven't established the sort of reliability that would allow you to hope that I might not see this film because of your review. It's not even like you only like films I hate, it's erratic. Some films you like, I like and sometimes not, I actually cannot tell if I should see this film or not

sideshow

Jan 26, 2012
Jetsetneo said:
Just to clarify, key points this movie has that the last 3 did wrong or missed:
-Uncle Ben never explicitly states the "Great power..." line, ever. Hardly a rewrite. Yeah they switched up the key zeitgiest more or less, but if it were a scene for scene copy with different actors I'd be a lot more upset that I paid money for what I already have in my DVD collection.
-Gwen Stacy from the start. MJ comes wayyyy later.
-That Gwen thing? Is going to matter a lot more in AS-M 2, if the ending of this one didn't hammer that home.
-Web shooters/ showcasing Peter's intellect. The other movies did this, but really only in spider-man 2, and peter always used it in reaction, not pro action (building his web shooters)

Frankly after the shark jumping that was Spider-man 3 I much rather have had this.
i'm not going to argue about Gwen. anyone whose into Spider-Man will tell you that. and i couldn't care about whatever love interest they threw in the mix. what i'm saying is this particular origin just doesn't meld with what some fans would consider a spider-man movie. and i think theres some plot point that you just don't mess with. the "with great power..." point, for example.

and i do respect your argument on why this is worth watching or not but as a writer, it really bothers me that this was made for the sole purpose of just keeping the rights to that particular property for another year.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
Probably will Netflix this eventually, but honestly, when Raimi, Maguire et al left the franchise, I pretty much did too. But the biggest gap in the franchise was exposed with one of your tags in the credits.

Even if Jameson was in the movie, the single worst thing about the new Spiderman not being the old Spiderman, is the absence of J.K. Simmons.

A close second is the loss of Willem Dafoe cackling two movies after he's died, like an evil Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
I saw it's first showing at my local cinema and I quite liked it... I preferred the Sam Raimi ones but it was still pretty good...

andy5925

Mar 10, 2012
People...Just because Bob hated it doesn't mean you won't enjoy it. I love Spidey and yes they did pull out lots of the original story and comics and twist some stuff up...but with that said..it was still very enjoyable and entertaining. I went to see this with a big group of friends and we all liked it, not loved it, but was still a good time.