Escape to the Movies: The Amazing Spider-Man

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
I love how many loyal subjects Bob has taken under his cape, willing to despise a movie just on the basis that Bob didn't like it.

Seriously people, grow some opinions of your own.

Who the hell cares if it doesn't follow the comic book. Was Batman's TANK in the comics? Whiny fanboy rage is what I see.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Fusioncode9 said:
Looking through these comments is just pathetic. Most people here are deciding not to see the movie because of Bob's pointless fanboy rage. Mos reviews call it a solid film, even Roger Ebert enjoyed it. I've seen the movie and it is NO-WHERE near as bad as Bob is saying. It's no The Dark Knight but it's a overall a solid film.

C'mon guys, form you own opinions!
I formed my opinion months ago when I first saw the trailer. I was not impressed. Every trailer since then made me want to see the movie less and less. If the trailers fails to impress me, then I sure as HELL won't be slapping down money to see the full thing. All this is for my is professional validation of my already formed personal opinion.

Simply agreeing with Bob does not mean that we're incapable of thinking on our own, thank you very much.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
As much as no J. Jonah Jameson hurts, I'm sitting here reeling over the fact that there could be a Spiderman movie worse than Spiderman 3. That hurts me on every possible level.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Don Savik said:
I love how many loyal subjects Bob has taken under his cape, willing to despise a movie just on the basis that Bob didn't like it.

Who the hell cares if it doesn't follow the comic book. Was Batman's TANK in the comics? Whiny fanboy rage is what I see.
Yes, specifically The Dark Knight Returns

HumpinHop

May 5, 2011
Nooners said:
Fusioncode9 said:
Looking through these comments is just pathetic. Most people here are deciding not to see the movie because of Bob's pointless fanboy rage. Mos reviews call it a solid film, even Roger Ebert enjoyed it. I've seen the movie and it is NO-WHERE near as bad as Bob is saying. It's no The Dark Knight but it's a overall a solid film.

I formed my opinion months ago when I first saw the trailer. I was not impressed. Every trailer since then made me want to see the movie less and less. If the trailers fails to impress me, then I sure as HELL won't be slapping down money to see the full thing. All this is for my is professional validation of my already formed personal opinion.

Simply agreeing with Bob does not mean that we're incapable of thinking on our own, thank you very much.
How deceitful can trailers be, though? What's Your Number had scenes that never appeared in the film, and both Drive and Splice created false expectations as to what kind of movie you were going to see. That, and now that the movie is actually out, reviews are going to hold much more weight than the trailer, aren't they?

As I said earlier, RT has given pretty good reviews, and Ebert threw it a 3.5/4. I'm just saying that it's better to look around and hear different opinions before dismissing a movie entirely.

Uberpig

Nov 20, 2009
OK, I', drunk off my arse right noe so this might not maje any sense, but WOW... Bob didn't like this mocie, huh? I could feel the fan rage through the screen. Even in my drunken state, didn't actually hear any reasons why I shouldn't go see it though... just myeh myeh, this movie was made by committee. Seriously, ytjhre amouitnt of rage coming from this guy make me distrist his opinion.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
Nooners said:
Fusioncode9 said:

So you figured out the movie sucked just from watching a few minutes of footage from trailer. Then when over a hundred reviewers enjoyed praised it, you found one who hated it not because of any real criticism, but because it's the the film HE wanted it to be, so you decide to use this ONE review to validate your own opinion. Did I get that right?

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
...wow, I am surprised. Not by moviebob's review, it was clear what his opinion was of this movie way before this review. What I am surprised is how many people LIKED this movie, or how many people seem to think it is great. I just saw the film today before reading this review and...

I thought it was way below average. It's not as bad as moviebob says, but it is still pretty bad. The plot just jumps from place to place while not answering or resolving anything. Peter Parker comes of as a nut. His banter isn't funny nor does it feel in character. He learns nothing (well..except for NOT keeping promises to dying (maybe) loved ones...great message there) and comes of as a douche than a hero. Plus, all of those awkward teenage moments are...I'm sorry, I get socially awkward. I am socially awkward, but Peter awkwardness borders of insanity. Heck, half of the plot-points could be fixed if he just DID something other than stutter and act like a crazy person.

To be fair, the Lizard/Spider-man fights were fun and the other characters were okay (if a bit one-dimensional), but it offered nothing new to the series, and purposely left a bunch of plot holes for no reason than for a sequel. So yeah, I thought the movie was bad too.

(Wow, that was an angry post...)

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Nooners said:
Fusioncode9 said:

You said your formed your opinion on a trailer. A TRAILER!

I have seen the movie, it's great, not the best superhero movie ever, but a really good movie actually. If you just simply agree with one reviewer and say that you got your opinion from the trailer then you really don't have an opinion of your own.

It's quite funny that almost everyone in this thread who has seen it actually likes it but all the people who are dissing it have only seen the trailers or simply watched MovieBob's review.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
What, no JJJ? Case fucking closed. You might as well have said that 10 seconds into the review, and spared me the details. There is no way I am going to watch this. Thanks Bob.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
The "It just so happens..." segment was probably the stupidest thing you could ever have come up with as a criticism of any movie about Spider-man when you actually apply that logic to the fucking source material that you love so much, or for that matter almost any continuity driven comic book series in either DC or Marvel.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Don Savik said:

Do you even know what film reviews are for? We use their opinions to help form our own. Just what is the point of listening to a reviewer if you don't listen to them? Movie Bob here has just saved me £10 - he's done his job.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
I'm sorry. Bob. I like your reviews. Generally I'm on board with you.

But there has to be something personal going on with this in particular, because that's horseshit. This was easily my favourite Spider-man movie. It's the only one to get the actual tone of the comics right. Spider-man. Quips. He tells jokes. The lizard is a lot like his current incarnation in the comics.

They never said he wants to take over the world. His motivation was always to improve humanity, the lizard genetics just made him a lot more aggressive. That shit comes right out of the recent comics.

And all those "it just so happens" moments you mentioned? What are the odds that a person working on a project has a son? Pretty high. There goes the "it just so happens" his dad worked on the spider. What are the odds he worked with other people? Higher than the child likelihood, so there goes the "It just so happens" he works with Connors. And what are the odds he works for a multimillion dollar bio-engineering company? Only a little lower than him having help. There goes the "It just so happens" he works for Norman Osborn. That likelihood gets higher because Reed Richards, Tony Stark, and Hank Pym can't be in this movie. The only "it just so happens" that I can agree with is that Gwen is an intern to Dr. Connors, and that still makes sense because she's the first love interest in any of the movies to actually be as smart as Peter Parker.

You went into this movie not wanting to like it. So you didn't. You didn't look at this movie subjectively, you looked at it as someone with a general contempt for everything going on, looking for every flaw you could find and shining a spotlight on it, to the point in which you essentially created flaws and ignored why the moments were in the film. As you said, you're sharing quite a big with J. Jonah Jameson in that respect.

I'm a big fan of your shows here. But this review made me angry. It was an attack, and that's not cool.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
HumpinHop said:
medv4380 said:
HumpinHop said:

*old man yells at cloud*

You're talking like this butchered Spiderman instead of just telling a similar, but different story, which is exactly what I was looking for. I don't believe Superman has to be exactly one way and stick with the exact same character traits; I really enjoyed Superman: Earth One even though it tinkered with a few things. I understand if you are looking for a more rigid story, but that's just a difference between us that doesn't warrant an attack like that.
Because this is a hatchet job to the character. His banter with the bad guys is off and instead of funny they went for the vengeful. Instead of learning responsibility from the death of his uncle he "learns" it from something else. If anything Peter got worse from the death of his uncle and not better. Overall Peter is to aggressive and confrontational to be Peter. Confrontations with Flash are supposed to be accidental not deliberate. Lizard himself is messed up and all we got was a villain of the month club member. When it's bland to the point I could have replaced him with Doc Oc, Professor Warren, or any other Spider-man scientist villain and get the same exact story it's bad.

The only good that can come of this is that maybe it will kill the franchise enough that Sony wont want to make any more.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
maninahat said:
Do you even know what film reviews are for? We use their opinions to help form our own. Just what is the point of listening to a reviewer if you don't listen to them? Movie Bob here has just saved me £10 - he's done his job.
You can listen to them without adapting their opinion right off the bat. For all you know, you might absolutely adore this movie. In my case, the issue isn't so much taking the opinions of reviewers into account...it's taking *one* reviewer's opinion into account. Did you know this movie currently has a Rotten Tomatoes score of 73%, because some reviewers are actually liking it? Why not listen to what they have to say before blindly jumping on the bandwagon?

Mostly Harmless

Aug 11, 2008
Well bob, you have your opinions but no one I have meet or talked to feels as vehemently about this movie as you do. I have the suspicion that this is one of those cases where you have decided how you feel about a movie before you have seen it, and make up your reasons for it along the way. You make good points however but I'm still going to see this movie to see if I feel the same way.

RTK1576

Aug 4, 2009
On the one hand, I do object to any story done mostly for business ledgers. Yet the other reviews I've read say that, for what it is (a reboot on a trilogy only a few years done with), it's actually not bad. I actually think that Spidey's quips in the movie trailers are more in line with his comic-book character than the quiet Toby Maguire version.

I actually have to agree with the dissenters here, Bob. While I haven't seen the film yet, I plan to. Your review has the reek of bias and your anger seems extremely excessive. 95% of the time, I support your views (though we frequently don't agree on movie taste, and don't get me started on ME3), but this is the first time I felt like you weren't being a real critic.

OriginalLadders

Sep 29, 2011
Sounds like they took parts of the origin story of Ultimate Marvel universe Spider-Man and jammed in a few of the most recent developments in the main comics without bothering with any of the previous stories so vital to those elements.

I guess it's time to break out the rum.

EDIT: I doubt I could hate it more than the previous three though, if it is as bad as Bob claims.