Escape to the Movies: The Amazing Spider-Man

thereverend7

Aug 13, 2010
Well I didn't agree with you on Green lantern so you comparing this to that is all I need to know to go watch this movie.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
PhunkyPhazon said:
maninahat said:
Do you even know what film reviews are for? We use their opinions to help form our own. Just what is the point of listening to a reviewer if you don't listen to them? Movie Bob here has just saved me £10 - he's done his job.
You can listen to them without adapting their opinion right off the bat. For all you know, you might absolutely adore this movie. In my case, the issue isn't so much taking the opinions of reviewers into account...it's taking *one* reviewer's opinion into account. Did you know this movie currently has a Rotten Tomatoes score of 73%, because some reviewers are actually liking it? Why not listen to what they have to say before blindly jumping on the bandwagon?
Yes, for all I know I might enjoy Spiderman. I could hate it too. That is why I trust critics who's opinions and body of work I am familiar with, instead of a percentage of faceless reviewers I know nothing about. I pick familiar reviewers because I can then contrast them with my own opinions. I don't usually agree with Bob's opinions, but I know where to place them. That is more than can be said for a vague concensus of strangers I can't trust. Jim, please help me out here. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-oeOqgRi7E]

TheFederation

Mar 29, 2011
Cheery Lunatic said:
TheFederation said:
first one more day, then spiderman 3, then spectacular spiderman being cancelled, then the stupid ultimate spiderman, and now this?
someone up there really hates spiderman
Have you seen the movie? It's actually pretty good.
Most of the reviews have been positive as well.
The movie is pretty damn close to the comics as well. So I'm not sure about this "some up there really hates Spider-Man."

OT: Saw it, loved it. Great aesthetics, amazing acting from everyone. The Lizard was kind of disappointing, but the story was told so well and the characters were represented so well, I ended up forgiving it. Also, Garfield was a GREAT Peter, he actually had some snark, something Tobey (or more like Raimi) forgot.

And I'm sure people have already been going on about this but Emma Stone's Gwen Stacey was infinitely better than Kirsten Dunst's melodramatic Mary-Jane.

Movie Bob obviously really wanted to hate this movie, and refused to see it in any other way. Soulless? Most complimented on how well the leads worked together, and how emotional their interactions were. Whatever Bob, I always took your reviews less seriously than I did ZP.
I haven't seen the movie, I was going from Bob's opinion, which is turning out to be false. it seems that everybody else who saw the movie says that it's good, while everyone who says it's bad hasn't actually seen it (including myself)

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
MacNille said:
I think that I will still see this movie. I want to form my own opionen. Rotten Tomeatoes say it have 74% ratings so it can't be bad? It is the worst thing that have happen to journalism since forever acording to bob! Ratings as the sword for the devil!
https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/220257304845623298
(Yes, that is his real tweet)
You know, he's totally right. It's clear the collective opinions of society have only shown that none of us know what we really like and don't like. In fact, everyone in the world should be told which movies they can and can't see, and we should put people like Bob in that position so that we'll only watch what he wants us to watch.

In fact, while we're at it, let's just purge freewill from the collective consciousness all together. It's clear we have no idea what the fuck we're doing. Thank god for Bob.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
maninahat said:
PhunkyPhazon said:
maninahat said:
Do you even know what film reviews are for? We use their opinions to help form our own. Just what is the point of listening to a reviewer if you don't listen to them? Movie Bob here has just saved me £10 - he's done his job.
You can listen to them without adapting their opinion right off the bat. For all you know, you might absolutely adore this movie. In my case, the issue isn't so much taking the opinions of reviewers into account...it's taking *one* reviewer's opinion into account. Did you know this movie currently has a Rotten Tomatoes score of 73%, because some reviewers are actually liking it? Why not listen to what they have to say before blindly jumping on the bandwagon?
Yes, for all I know I might enjoy Spiderman. I could hate it too. That is why I trust critics who's opinions and body of work I am familiar with, instead of a percentage of faceless reviewers I know nothing about. I pick familiar reviewers because I can then contrast them with my own opinions. I don't usually agree with Bob's opinions, but I know where to place them. That is more than can be said for a vague concensus of strangers I can't trust. Jim, please help me out here. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-oeOqgRi7E]
Oh, I definitely agree that you shouldn't just look at the percentage and scores and leave it at that. But I've found you gain a lot more information on the state of a movie by listening to multiple critics from both sides of the argument. It paints a vivid picture of what works well and what doesn't, and once you have said picture you can compare it with your own tastes and preferences to get a clear idea if its worth your money. Listening to just one side will only leave you jaded in the end.

Besides, how else does a reviewer gain your trust if you decide to never, ever listen to them? It's amazing you started listening to any of them at all in that case.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
TheDrunkNinja said:
In fact, while we're at it, let's just purge freewill from the collective consciousness all together. It's clear we have no idea what the fuck we're doing. Thank god for Bob.
Indeed. It's important to note as well that Bob isn't concerned with trivialities such as providing an honest critique, he's here to save cinema.

lithiumvocals

Jun 16, 2010
So yeah, take this with a grain of salt. It's not really that bad. I might even say that it's fairly good. Yes, it sucks that it was made for corporate reasons, but I can't say that I didn't enjoy watching it last night. Pacing /is/ a little awkward at some points and Spidey being a wiseass kinda comes out of nowhere and is dropped suddenly (sadly, because it was actually pretty funny), but this movie is in no way unforgivable shit.

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
It's been pretty well established that Bob ceases to be a rational being when critiquing comic-related things, so I'm not gonna credit this with an in-depth response. I'd just like Bob to know that nerd-rage is not useful to me. I don't need to listen to a movie critic for that. Get off your pedestal and tell me something useful. What's wrong wit the movie? Other than everything, obviously. And going through a checklist of things-that-are-in-movies which are wrong isn't helpful either.

Jesus. You're really no better than a YouTube commenter sometimes, Bob.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
PhunkyPhazon said:
maninahat said:
PhunkyPhazon said:
maninahat said:
snip
snip
Oh, I definitely agree that you shouldn't just look at the percentage and scores and leave it at that. But I've found you gain a lot more information on the state of a movie by listening to multiple critics from both sides of the argument. It paints a vivid picture of what works well and what doesn't, and once you have said picture you can compare it with your own tastes and preferences to get a clear idea if its worth your money. Listening to just one side will only leave you jaded in the end.

Besides, how else does a reviewer gain your trust if you decide to never, ever listen to them? It's amazing you started listening to any of them at all in that case.
Listening to a few critics is fine, and Bob is just one of a couple I go to for opinions - I just rely on knowing which ones to listen to, and when. For instance, I would disregard Bob's opinion on an upcoming Expendables movie, but perhaps I would rely on a Half in a Bag instead, because I have an idea of what movies these reviews like or dislike.

As for finding new reviewers, it is mostly accidental. They'll usually be making some other show I like, and start reviewing stuff on the side.

GoldenEye

Jan 10, 2012
While I haven't seen this movie yet this video feels like nothing but a fanboy rage. I'll go watch the movie and decide for myself. I really doubt it can be that bad, and bob proved in the past to overreact, as he did over MiB3.
BTW, thinking that if you won't buy a ticket to this movie will help somehow to return spider-man back to Marvel is extremely wrong. Even if this movie will be a major flop, and it won't, Sony will never give up such an important franchise as spider-man.

therockdemon

Mar 17, 2011
i am sorry to say that you are wrong bob i just saw it and thought it was better than the first spiderman, i know that i might get some hate for that but all the points bob makes are way to harsh, i am not sure if its bobs love for the comics or if he just had a bad day but you should take your opinion out of the equation when reviewing films and be more objective

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Bob, I absolutely love it when you rage, please make it a recurring series!
And, I know this wasn't your intention, but now I've just got to see this movie. I was gonna skip out on it cuz I was sure it'd be tortuously average, but now I've just got to see it, in a 'so bad it's good' kind of way.
Going through some of the comments, it appears it's more in line to my original thought. I still want to see it though, so I can decide for myself.

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
scotth266 said:
Strangely enough, opinions about this Spider-Man movie appear to be all over the board. Some reviews say it's great, others say it's mediocre, and some (like Bob here) say it's piss-poor. I'm betting it'll wind up being just sort of okay, doing some things right and others wrong. I'll wind up seeing it myself, if only because I like Spider-Man.
I have seen that as well. It would interesting to see if those were based on whether they are reviewing the movie on it's own meritcs, based on the comics or based on the previous movies. I know it's only been 10 years, and they wanted to continue the franchise and had to do it with different actors. I wonder if they should have just continued on with no backstory and a new villian?

acillies45

Feb 25, 2009
So I just watched it and honestly: I was right. It wasn't the most amazing movie ever, and it did go away from the comic books on some levels, but it stuck with them on other. For instance: Gwen Stacy was in fact Peter's first love, and he made his own web shooters, the spider powers didn't go with them.

Also, I enjoyed this new Peter. They could've gone with the self-conscious nerd who can't get a girl if he tried, but instead they made him more of a skater who happens to be very intelligent, and they even manage to capture a bit of awkwardness as well (which is awesome). He's different, but is that any reason to dislike him?

And as for being 'one dimensional' with the characters, I don't think they're one demensional, I think you actually have to watch the movie and then sit back and start examining what happened to get their different motivations, they don't just beat you over the head with their personalities (except MAYBE one guy, but anyways...)

So yeah, I would suggest people to see it, unless you can't stand a different look on the series, then it won't be the movie for you. That's not a problem, as the DKR is coming out soon so that will make everyone happy =)

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
You know you're dealing with a fanboy when he takes time out of a professional review to complain about the muzzle flare from Spidey's web shooter.