Escape to the Movies: The Amazing Spider-Man

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
I'll say it again: This movie was far better, from a character standpoint, than the Raimi movies.

Every character had more depth and authenticity. And to some people, that bugged them. Authentic characters aren't so glaringly one-note that you can easily hear that one note above everything else. Some people are annoyed when things aren't so simple as, "The bully is a jerk. The hero is an outcast nerd. The uncle dies in a carjacking."

There are two major problems with how people are viewing this movie (at least the scant few that have problems with it):

1. They're viewing it with a dogmatic allegiance to the long-established canon. This is a reboot, not just a retelling of the exact same story. There are some changes. And Marvel comics is experimenting with the same (see: "Ultimate" comics) because they've realized that the heroes have outgrown (and in some cases outlived) their original audience. Without new blood, they will die.

2. They're comparing this one movie to Sam Raimi's three. Perhaps without knowing they're doing so. People complain that such-and-such didn't happen (ie, Gwen stacy dying) or that such-and-such plotline didn't go far enough... it's the first movie. It'd be like complaining about the first Raimi movie because it didn't have Doc Ock in it. In a movie-to-movie comparison, this movie got just as much established as the first Raimi joint.

(And I think it did it better. I say this even being a die-hard Raimi fan. I have no problems with how the first two movies were directed. But the writing and the acting were sub-par, and some of the casting was nightmarish. This movie improved a great deal of that.)

ADDENDUM: And you know what? Some of that might be specifically because it was a ploy to hold onto the license. There wasn't the same pressure for this movie to be a blockbuster, so probably not as much pressure from agents to get this-or-that major actor/actress more screen time, or any of that. The writer and director were basically told, "Make a Spider-Man movie." And they did.

Were the money-counters just trying to cash in? Sure. That's what they do. But don't put that on the writer, director, or actors. I don't see any evidence of "cash grab" from them. I see people turning in stellar work.

I Max95

Mar 23, 2009
i'm not going to defend the movie, i haven't seen it, but it seemed like he thought alot of this review up months before the movie came out.

he rants on and on about why the movie was made and how its a terrible reason to make a movie (even being hypocritical and saying it isn't good to critisize a movie based on the corporate side of it) before he even talks about the movie itself

plus every time a bit of news came out about the movie he kept going on about how it's "enevitbly terrible" when Andrew Garfield was cast he said his careers was hittting a breick wall because of it, he devoted one of his credits jokes to how bad the trailers were.

even i can see that he had a dozen reasons to hate this movie before it even came out, and his opinion seemed to be tainted because of that

i used to think that his opinion was one to be trusted but now he just seems like a jaded and volatile person who flies off the handle about things that aren't that big of a deal (Mass Effect 3 ending fiasco for example) and calls certain movies bad to such a ludicrous degree that i just can't take him seriously anymore

sorry Bob, i know you don't want people to see this movie, but i'm going to, and i'm going to make my own mind up about it

Ramzal

Jun 24, 2011
CriticKitten said:
Calibanbutcher said:
Just a question: Would Spidermah have added anything of value to the Avengers movie?
Firstly: Spiderman has been on the Avengers roster, so if you're looking to add new characters (and they most likely are), he's an easy pick. Saves them from having to fund an origin story for a character nobody recognizes. If a red-and-blue jumpsuit wearing male swings into the scene, even the dumbest of audiences knows who that is. Not as many will recognize Black Panther, or Ant-Man, or other options.

Marvel really has three main "roads" they can go with the second "chapter" of their film universe.

1) You make the next Avengers film without any new characters, despite the roster for the Avengers changing on a regular basis in comic lore.

2) You make the next Avengers films while introducing brand new characters, who will need to be introduced in some way. Which means you either fork over the cash to make origin movies for them (and risk them being financial bombs), or you do as you did in the first Avengers and give them cameos in your existing major film franchises (which risks those films' finances instead, and isn't as likely to go over well with characters whose origins aren't as strongly tied to SHIELD).

3) You bring in well known, major Marvel Universe characters that have shown up on the Avengers roster at some time or another and that audiences would instantly recognize, potentially saving you money (since you don't necessarily need to do an origin story for someone well known) and bringing greater revenue in the grand scheme of things.

Given the choices, the one that saves the most money, makes the most money, and is arguably the best film is obvious.

It seems likely that Ant-Man will be added to the roster given the renewed drive to get a movie for him finished. That also opens the door for connected characters, like Wasp. So it seems Marvel is already going with either option 2 or 3. Now the problem: Since the X-Men are owned by Sony as well as Spiderman, that takes away good options for characters. Sony's insistence on grabbing a firm hold on the rights to both X-Men and Spiderman means that we'll never know whether or not Spiderman would "add something significant", because that team-up is now impossible.

Let's be honest: would the current Avengers cast honestly be hurt in any way from having even more badasses on the screen at a given time? Would having, say, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch show up and contribute degrade the quality of the film? It's hard to argue that more characters wouldn't potentially aid in beefing up things for a massive galatic showdown with Thanos in the next Avengers film. Keep in mind this is a dude who is well known for killing over half of the Marvel Universe's superheroes on his own, he's a universe destroying sort of guy. Having a bigger roster for that film seems sort of essential, honestly.

Ramzal said:
Because you're not doing it in a rational sense.
Yes, I am.

You've made a decision off of two things. The first being the fact that they are putting out another Spider-man movie for money. Okay, they remade -every- marvel movie that has ever had any kind of movie or show to begin with for that purpose. Captain America had a show/movie, Spider-man had one, Hulk. These movies already had projects beforehand that didn't catch too much wind, but was attempted again because the current generation is all about these kind of movies involving superpowered heroes.

So if you've seen Captain America or any marvel movie already, you've already beaten your own cause.
This strain of logic helps illustrate that you don't understand what I'm talking about. So let me try to simplify it for you.

Would you say that the Batman movies are corporate cash-ins that were made purely to make mone, or a legitimate attempt to tell the Batman story in a way it hadn't been told before? How about Lord of the Rings? Were they corporate cash-ins, or were they trying to tell the story of the books in a manner adapted to suit an audience that probably hadn't read the books?

If you answered the former (that they are cash-ins) to any of those, you're an idiot.

There is a significant difference between a film that exists to make money and a film that exists to tell a story, and the difference is measurable. The Batman films demonstrate their intentions through the individuals they hire (buying Heath Ledger, Christian Bale, etc was not cheap), the way they do business, etc. The Avengers movie was a VERY expensive movie, especially when it came to buying Robert Downey Jr (who made more than all of his co-stars combined), and then on top of that, they had to afford Joss Whedon.

Let's compare to The Amazing Spiderman: a film featuring significantly cheap actors. Andrew Garfield's last big role was in "The Social Network", Emma Stone is an actor who has been in and out of various romantic comedies (few of which made big bucks), and Rhys Ifans is....has he been in ANY big films that weren't blatant cash-ins (Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties, among others)? Their director is Marc Webb, who is far better known for his work in making music videos than his work in film making (this is his second major film behind). So you have here a roster of cheap talent in the lead roles and as director. So Sony did this for monetary reasons, they risked paying Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire a hell of a lot more money.

On top of this, Raimi wanted more creative control over the next Spiderman film, because in Spiderman 3, the studio obligated him to put in story elements that he didn't originally want in there (which is part of the reason it fell so flat). Sony refused to give it to him.

We're not even comparing remotely similar situations. You're the one being irrational and not thinking here. Marvel has shown a willingness to shell out a LOT of coin to make the movies good, whereas Sony drove away its lead star and director....and to replace them with cheap people who were still new to the scene shows a clear indication of intentions. Even if you willfully choose to ignore the fact that Sony would lose the rights to Spiderman if they hadn't made this film (which requires a lot of denial to pull off), you can't ignore all of the evidence showing Sony's focus on money over story. That is why I refuse to support it, and if you can't wrap your head around it, that's honestly not my problem.

Worse off is the fact that you are making a very narrow minded decision off of a product you haven't tried yet. It's like saying you hate liver and onions without ever trying to eat it. Your opinion on the quality of a product you have not experience is as founded and valuable as a grain of dirt. (Not to sound insulting.)
This point of view is honestly more ignorant than the one you're against.

"Try before you knock it" is a fantastic form of logic when it comes to cheap articles or necessities. Food, water, shelter, etc. These are things I cannot go without, and so if I don't get "the perfect apartment", that's tough shit. I'll just have to find an affordable one I like and "try it out" before I throw in the towel and live on the street.

But in a tough economy, entertainment products are the first luxury to go out the window. Movie tickets are $10 and the concessions are more. Video games are $60. I don't WANT to "try it before I knock it", because that means that I'm gambling with my money. The reason people look for reviews and such is because they don't want to be forced to go to the film before making an opinion about whether or not it's going to be worth their time and money. They need that decision to be made before they go, because no smart individual is going to waste their money on something they have strong suspicions they won't like.

Not to mention that while you SAY this, I'm quite certain that you don't live this philosophy. How do I know? Well, let me ask: do you go to EVERY film you see advertised? Of course not. You pick and choose which ones to see based on your own pre-determined biased of what you like and what you do not. If you hate romantic comedies, you don't rush out to go see another one. You undoubtedly do the same with video games. I myself am not fond of FPSs, so when the next Call of Duty comes out, you can bet I'm not even going to give it a second glance. I don't have to "try" everything to know whether or not I'll like it. I can get informed, look up information about the game, watch reviews and gameplay footage, all before I make the decision to buy. Because that is what a SMART consumer does: they get educated and don't let commercials tell them what to spend money on.

If you realistically believe that people can't know whether or not they're going to like something before they've tried it, then I pity you, because you must waste an awful lot of your own money going to see lots of movies that you ended up hating. After all, you can't KNOW you'll hate it until you watched it right? So you must go to the movies every week so you can see all the films and decide which ones you like, and which were a waste of time, since you can't possibly decide "this is stupid and I won't waste my money on it" BEFORE you go to the movie....right?

Any movie made is for the sake of money. No one makes a fill in Hollywood for the sake of "This is going to be fun." The people who make those movies need to eat and have places to live. So anything made is for the sake of income.
Necessity does not excuse quality. If you choose to go into a job and you suck at it, you get fired. You need the money for your family, you say? Tough, you need to be GOOD at what you do, or you stop making money on it and have to find something else you're good at.

Plus, the reason I REALLY hate this argument is that it tries to make these millionaires sound like "they're just like you or me, and if they don't get the paycheck for that next multi-million dollar film, why they'll just die!". No, more like they'll have to settle for a slightly cheaper steak dinner each week.

Secondly, it's a problem that you say things/act so impulsively because the company has never done anything to hurt YOU. YOUR money wasn't put into making the movie, and I am sure you have done no writing for the script, no stunts, no acting, and you weren't behind a camera.
I don't deserve the right to choose how to spend my money because my money wasn't spent in making the film? What kind of nonsensical non-point is that?

It's a self entitled position that consumers constantly put themselves in that they have to feel as if they are being cheated for someone daring to put out anything that doesn't fit their -exact- demands. Again, the company that has funded making The Amazing Spider-man has done nothing to hurt YOU. It bugs me because people have this preconception of an evil company that dares mess with what a consumer DEMANDS they have a list of things handed to them, in a certain manner.
What are you even talking about? This has nothing to do with what I've said.

What I said: "I refuse to go see this movie, even if it may be good, because it was made under faulty business practices that I do not support".

What you're interpreting this as: "They didn't make the movie *I* want so I'm going to tell all my friends to boycott this movie!"

The two are literally nothing alike. Who are you arguing with?

They've done nothing to you. I can understand if you had no interest in the movie for the sake of it just not interesting you period, but honestly you are not making an informed nor a well thought out one. It's simply just...petty.
My point is very well thought out. I choose not to support a film whose basis is "how can we make the most money?" rather than "how can we make a good story?". That's a simple, logical reason to not go see a movie.

Now let's review your key arguments:
1) If you've ever paid money into any movie based on another IP, you're supporting the "evil" corporations you claim to fight against. (this is akin to claiming that supporting Valve is the same as supporting EA....in other words, it's absolute nonsense)
2) You can't POSSIBLY know if you'll like something before you try it, so it's best to just gamble with your money. (this is something you clearly don't do yourself, so you're basically speaking on a makeshift pedestal so as to lord over a topic you have no authority over)
3) The corporation didn't "hurt" you, so it's perfectly okay for them to engage in any business practice they wish. (if a corporation engages in a bad business practice, it's perfectly okay to say "hey, that's kind of a dick move" even if you're not invested in it directly)

I'm sorry, but I don't see how my point of view is more irrational than yours.
Your entire argument is irrelevant because you have yet to even -see- the movie to deem if it is good or not. Good day to you, sir.

Nov 6, 2011
To give the audience a half-assed film (or even just a "good" film) is honestly wasting potential.
Ah to think there was a time when people were happy to see 'good' films.
I loved the new spiderman, I think the actors did a way better job portraying their characters than those of the previous franchise and the reboot worked well enough for me, the tweaks to the origin made sense I thought. But hey thats just my opinion, which I formed myself, by watching the movie.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I thought it was OK. The beginning reeked of forced teen drama where the nerdiest kid in school looks like... that. I HATE awkward teen romantic humor. Two dimwits stuttering through words and thoughts is NOT entertaining. Bullies beat the shit out of him while he gets punished for "humiliating" them later? Not even any physical confrontation?

Also when he's coming to terms with his powers probably about half the school had SEEN him perform impossible acts of human strength. Everyone just forgot about that?

Closing third was quite good IMO. The scene that Moviebob says was stupid came across as the epic win it wanted to be for me.

Although the first original Spiderman was far more memorable. Tobey was a better Spidey and a way better Peter Parker. While old Gobby and Jameson were perfect casts. Good casts in Amazing Spiderman, but nothing that I remember like those other two.

Sergey Sund

May 20, 2012
I must disagree with Bob.
I found there film to be lacking in story, characters, creativity and kind of hurried through, as if they stuffed too many scenes in it.
But I thought it was entertaining as a mindless action flick.
I like the new web-shooter stuff. That Peter can "fix things", ergo he can construct web-sbooters.
I like how the New York people actually help him in this one - via crane - and not just throw one measly pipe at the head of the Goblin.
The crane scene was as gripping to me as the scene where the people in the subway carry Spiderman and give him back his mask.
I did not like how the villain flip-flopped, or how the entire reptilian SWAT team did nothing. They got turned, dissappeared and then were seen turning back again. Like, WTF.
If the Reptilians were not important - then why make them????
Notice: Instead of using the all-disperse device in his lab at once, Dr. Kross (?) first goes out with 2 canisters and turns a SWAT team into reptiles.
But the SWAT team never does anything and so the Dr. is just wasting time, so Gwen can produce an anti-toxin.
I was facepalming in the cinema when I saw this villain just give up his lead for some completely unnecessary exposition.
Sure, now we know that he can turn people into reptiles - but that could've been explained with three sentences from Spiderman: "We must stop him before he gets to the tower. All the chemicals are there. He could disperse them over the city and mutate everyone."
That was my biggest gripe with the movie.
I thought the uncle Ben thing was actually handled better in this movie, because the guilt was more heavily laid on Peter than in the other movies IMHO.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
MrBrightside919 said:
Antonio Torrente said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Antonio Torrente said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Antonio Torrente said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Antonio Torrente said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Antonio Torrente said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Antonio Torrente said:
MrBrightside919 said:
To say I saw that coming a mile away would be an understatement...

After Spiderman 3, I don't have much faith in future Spidey movies...unless Marvel gets the rights back, which will never happen unfortunately...

*Crosses fingers for this movie to bomb hard*
Sorry to dash your dreams( and mine) this movie is no. 1 right now in other countries including here in the Philippines.
Guess i'm not crossing them hard enough...
Even to the point of crossing your fingers until your break them, it won't happen why?
because people are sucker for Spiderman.

And this news [http://movies.yahoo.com/news/spidey-relaunches-tuesday-record-35m-153508646.html] doesn't help either if we want the Spiderman movie rights be return to Disney/Marvel.
Forgettable is a word i'd use to describe it...

HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

*vomits*
I didn't like the movie but I didn't hate it either, it's just that they changed his whole origin story and remove the core of the Spiderman mythos.

I'm with Bob with this that the Marvel movies must be made by Marvel Studios because they are the only few who somehow understand the right direction on how their properties should be put on film.
You're right. I'm pretty sure two years from now no one is gonna remember something special with this movie other than The unnecessary Spiderman reboot.

When you think about it, isn't that the fate Clash of the Titans(2010) suffered if you go back and asked the people who watched it after a year?
Lol, Clash of the Titans is a whole different can of worms...I think that was so forgettable because it was so generic...

I certainly couldn't tell you anything that happened in that movie other than there being a Kraken at some point...
Yeah the only thing I remembered in COTT is "Release the Kraken!" other than that zip.

Btw do you have any memorable scene after watching TASM?
The scene with the cranes...

...because it was so stupid
Oh yeah, it seems everybody is talking about the crane.

Haven't seen TASM, what's stupid about it?

You know its not good if the scene you remember from a movie you watched is bad one.
I can't tell you...to avoid spoilers...

It's not on Prometheus levels of stupid, but it takes you out of the movie for a few moments...
Does it involve a lot of angst?

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
Ramzal said:
Britisheagle said:
I really hope no one goes to see this, however I know they will as all my friends are talking on Facebook about how good it is. My closer friends agree with me. A film like A Nightmare on Elm Street you can understand the justification for a reboot, a more modern take on a classic with updated CGI..
That was a terrible remake. The CGI was good but the remake it self was not very great.
Agreed. But they probably didn't intend to make a film that most didn't enjoy, they made it because the film COULD have benefited from an update whilst cashing in on the franchise. The main difference is, it is a film that was released decades ago.

On the drawing board the Spiderman reboot probably would have been for one of 2 reasons: One - to make more money or Two - to ensure that Marvel couldn't get their rights back. Possibly both.

Regardless, despite it being quite commonplace, I still think it is wrong to redo a trilogy only a few years after the previous one concluded, no justification. The fact the film isn't supposed to be as good as the original Spiderman (according to some, not all) it reinforces that the reboot clearly wasn't necessary and hasn't improved upon the original formula.

That is my personal opinion and if you enjoyed the film I am genuinly glad. It's just one I'm not going to go see.

Leethe1Girl

Apr 30, 2012
WOW, Bob.

Holy shit, dude, calm the fuck down. I know you're angry this company still has the rights to Spider-Man, we all are. And it seems like they'll probably never give it up.

But you have laid shit on this movie even worse than the Green Lantern film. The GREEN LANTERN film!!!

Nothing could be worse than that. And, quite honestly, I'm getting a little tired of your placing emotional responses ahead of making a genuine review about the movie itself. You don't do this very often but when you do it makes you seem like a very immature and unprofessional reviewer and I can't watch it anymore.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Antonio Torrente said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Antonio Torrente said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Antonio Torrente said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Antonio Torrente said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Antonio Torrente said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Antonio Torrente said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Antonio Torrente said:
MrBrightside919 said:

After Spiderman 3, I don't have much faith in future Spidey movies...unless Marvel gets the rights back, which will never happen unfortunately...

Sorry to dash your dreams( and mine) this movie is no. 1 right now in other countries including here in the Philippines.
Even to the point of crossing your fingers until your break them, it won't happen why?

And this news [http://movies.yahoo.com/news/spidey-relaunches-tuesday-record-35m-153508646.html] doesn't help either if we want the Spiderman movie rights be return to Disney/Marvel.

HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

*vomits*
I didn't like the movie but I didn't hate it either, it's just that they changed his whole origin story and remove the core of the Spiderman mythos.

I'm with Bob with this that the Marvel movies must be made by Marvel Studios because they are the only few who somehow understand the right direction on how their properties should be put on film.
You're right. I'm pretty sure two years from now no one is gonna remember something special with this movie other than The unnecessary Spiderman reboot.

When you think about it, isn't that the fate Clash of the Titans(2010) suffered if you go back and asked the people who watched it after a year?
Lol, Clash of the Titans is a whole different can of worms...I think that was so forgettable because it was so generic...

I certainly couldn't tell you anything that happened in that movie other than there being a Kraken at some point...
Yeah the only thing I remembered in COTT is "Release the Kraken!" other than that zip.

You know its not good if the scene you remember from a movie you watched is bad one.

It's not on Prometheus levels of stupid, but it takes you out of the movie for a few moments...
No...

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
The Grim Ace said:
As much as no J. Jonah Jameson hurts, I'm sitting here reeling over the fact that there could be a Spiderman movie worse than Spiderman 3. That hurts me on every possible level.
Jameson just wasn't there because Peter didn't graduate from highschool yet. Also the movie was very solid I enjoyed it a lot. The only real issues were that gwen was working a job she really wasn't old enough to be stationed doing and that the Lizard didn't look as good as you would have wanted. Everything else was fairly solid must people are just butt hurt that it is a origin story. I loved that the movie was a lot more grounded and realistic.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Carpenter said:
Very well then, I guess I may find out how wrong I am in the future, seeing as to how agressively you've retaliated against my stated opinion, which is based on heresay in the first place, highly ill-informed as it seems it may very well be. Maybe I will indeed have my experience less negatively coloured should anyone take me to see a showing, as it is, I don't have the money for movie tickets until next month at the earliest, what with being poor and all.

I do say, I just noticed the date of your joining us, welcome to the escapist, hope your stay finds you well.

*tips hat*

planet.tyler

Mar 1, 2012
oh bob i'm disappointed in you... firstly you already decided over year before release that this was going to bad and sure enough you couldnt even wait til friday to rage on about it. secondly as a long time fan of spiderman i cant see how this new movie could be any worse than the 3 abortions they passed off as spiderman movies previously; every character was completely fucked up and toby was not a good choice.... nor was kirsten... or anybody else who played anyone in those movies so ill give it a chance as it can only be as bad as the other 3, not worse.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I haven't seen the movie yet simply cause it hasn't reached Romania. I have been a Spidey fan for the better part of a decade and I eagerly want to see this but Bob stopped me in my tracks. Then I watched this:

The important part comes in about 1:24.

Bob's review was dripping of that. Overflowing actually. I don't think a true Spidey Fan would discourage people of going to see Peter Parker actually being Peter Parker. That's the feeling I got from the trailers.

When your review comes closer to sounding like a comment on a youtube video, yeah, you sort of lose your credibility there. To everyone taking Bob's word for this, don't be sheep. You can't form an opinion on something you haven't tried. From a certain POV, it makes you even worse than him when it comes to judging for yourselves.

Remember, as a start of a new trilogy, Batman Begins didn't do an AMAZING job (HAH!) either but I still watch it sometimes when I am studying.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
MrBrightside919 said:
Antonio Torrente said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Antonio Torrente said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Antonio Torrente said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Antonio Torrente said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Antonio Torrente said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Antonio Torrente said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Antonio Torrente said:
MrBrightside919 said:

HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

*vomits*

No...
Oh well i'll just gonna read the plot synopsis on it's wikipedia article.
thanks for the warning anyway.

DSQ

Jun 30, 2009
I know that this review is your opinion and it doesn't have to conform to the review landscape but literally every other review at said it was great or at least okay. It's hard to take your opinion seriously when we all know you've been gunning against this film for months now. I mean you got mad at the film for putting him in a hoodie for christ sakes! Everyone wears hoodies!!!

However I haven't seen this film myself yet so I guess I can't really comment on my own opinion yet.

EDIT:

I stand corrected it was bad. I wish I could delete that first sentence.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
I saw the film yesterday with a friend as a long time Spidey fan to see how it turned out and I didn't like it. I disliked Peter Parker being a hodgepodge of a lot of things that weren't a nerd since it seemed really against the character. I also thought the CGI wasn't that great ESPECIALLY of the Spider that bites Spiderman and the scene underwater. Similarly I thought that the Lizard was a mix of decent design with the skin and tail mixed with moments that annoyed me as a fan (such as the lack of his Lab Coat for the majority of the film!). Similarly him as Connors vs him as the Lizard was too disconnected without a full explanation of why they were so different (imagine Green Goblin from the first film but without anyone stating that what made him Goblin made him crazy as well). I was also really pissed off about what they did with Uncle Ben's death. Felt rushed and lacked emotional weight.

That's not to say there weren't any good things. Spidey as an attempt at funny I liked as it was entertaining, as was Parker's inability to control his powers to begin with. Also pretty cool were some of the Lizard/Spidey fights where spiderman looked fast and sleek and The Lizard fought with his tail which was cool!