Escape to the Movies: The Amazing Spider-Man

BigZ7337

Mar 28, 2008
I saw the movie, and I honestly loved it. Yeah when I looked back on the movie there were some problems, but I was absolutely in the moment while watching it and I had a great movie going experience. I really think Bob went into this movie wanting to hate it, and not surprisingly he got his wish.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
Wow, just wow, that hit me like a kick to the head! I almost watched the one after this first I was nervous to say the least.

Im with Bob I feel insulted by Sony, this is disrespectful.

I can usually try to look for the good but there's none here. The deal-breaker though? NO JJJ!*String of cursing* What the sweet hell where they thinking! Hes a major figure in the Spider-Man mythos! Not per say a villain to Spider-Man but a foil yes. He's just someone that didn't like masked people. Also, even though he hates Spider-Man he's helped Peter alot, and its that contrast that makes their interactions interesting. Besides helping make The Scorpion back in the day he really doesn't do that much harm. He's more of a comic relief to me.

No JJJ! Not Spider-Man!

Speaking of OMD *gag*Ive boycotted Spider-man and have gotten others together to try to force them to rewrite that BS. We can try!

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
I thought it was fucking awesome, and I've been into Spider-Man comics and everything since I was a little kid. Messy, slightly incoherent, but generally very entertaining.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Usually I can see where Bob is coming from in his reviews but I just don't get his hate for this movie. It was no Avengers or Dark Knight but it was probably on par with say an Iron Man 2 or Thor. Yeah, I just don't get his hate for this movie.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
Xanthious said:
Usually I can see where Bob is coming from in his reviews but I just don't get his hate for this movie. It was no Avengers or Dark Knight but it was probably on par with say an Iron Man 2 or Thor. Yeah, I just don't get his hate for this movie.
He hates it because it's not the film he wants it to be. He failed as a reviewer, rather than judging the movie on its own merits, he just complained that it's not the Spider-man movie he wanted it to be. He's just upset that Sony still owns the rights, and they will continue to hold on to the rights for many years to come.

I thought Bob lost all his credibility after he recommended The Last Airbender, but this was overdoing it. It's clear at this point he's nothing more than a biased fanboy.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Y'know what I would have rather seen than this movie?

Do you guys remember when the internet tried a serious petition to get Donald Glover as Spiderman?

Rather than trying to re-hash Peter Parker, let's go for Miles Morales here instead.

I mean obviously it's a bit too late for this, but that's what I would have rather seen.

If in a few years Sony finds themselves scrambling for a new Spiderman film after the Andrew Garfield run wears out its welcome, maybe they could try their hands at that.

The Last Parade

Apr 24, 2009
The Last Parade said:
hmm... oddly harsh, I'm going to see this movie in a few days with freinds and while I'm expecting something average at best I'll come back and see if you were right or just baised
Just saw it, it's a very good movie, Bob you're talking out of your own bias and your ass, be professional for fuck sake

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Just returned from watching the movie, had saved the review for afterwards. Though your analysis of some of its faults are fair, I still found the overall movie enjoyable.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Just got back from seeing it and, personally, I didn't think it was that bad.
If you like it, you like it, if you don't, you don't I guess.

trophykiller

Jul 23, 2010
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Woah, that's harsh. I almost feel bad about it now but... i liked it. I really really liked it. Maybe more than i liked Sam Raimis first Spiderman. Uh... so... i guess i have terrible taste in movies. Guess i have to work on that.
I agree entirely. Although the action scenes and cinematography in the Sam Raimi films was slightly better, the story-line and characters in this one more than made up for it.

In fact, part of me is starting to think movie bob is yet another paid-off critic, especially since there are many people who would love to see this film fail. I've always found that he finds poor reasons to hate on the films he passionately rags on, such as the "muzzle flash" on the web shooters, that were actually lights to allow peter to know they were working properly.

The only real problem I had with this film were the villain, as he was not fleshed out as much as he should have been(a symptom of a rushed project), and that regeneration is one of the most overplayed and scientifically inaccurate powers in modern media. Food is in fact required for healing. In a realistic film, Wolverine or Lizard would starve fairly quickly.

Common Knowledge

Aug 30, 2009
Movie Bob hated it? Guess it must be good and I should go see it - although I already have and it's nowhere near as bad as he's making it out to be. Personally I thought it was average, nothing special but perfectly watchable and enjoyable in parts. A lot of the issues brought up were so minor whereas as most of what was said sounded like personal dislike masquerading as professional criticism.

Bmagada

Dec 27, 2011
draythefingerless said:
i would not take this review as is people. it stinks of fanboy wishes being broken, causing an aggravation of his opinion on the movie.
I live by a simple rule with Movie Bob. If its a property that has anything to do with his childhood and its not exactly the way he wanted it to be, he will fanboy out on it. It has it's flaws but I saw it and it seemed more based off of the ultimate spider-man comics with the origin. I liked how they went with Gwen instead of Mary and for the love of god, he doesn't even get a job at the bugle yet, of course there's no J.J. Seriously, Bob wrote this review, then made an intermission article about hating this movie pretty much, and he just made another video about hating this movie. I'm sorry but that throws my "Angry Fanboy Sense" into overdrive.

Bmagada

Dec 27, 2011
trophykiller said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
I've always found that he finds poor reasons to hate on the films he passionately rags on, such as the "muzzle flash" on the web shooters, that were actually lights to allow peter to know they were working properly.
Have you seen how he'll never let go of his hate for Transformers because Michael Bay directed it. Oh and because the movie had people in it. Really the main thing wrong with it for him is that they made it relevant for now. I think his major problem with properties of nostalgia is it's not what he wanted when he was younger so it's garbage and he'll find anyway to make a movie seem less credible. You know even though Transformers and the Amazing Spider-man have made a ton of money. Sadly he was even saying Twilight was a better movie in his second let's bash the Amazing Spider-Man video. I think he might be trying a little too hard.

Bmagada

Dec 27, 2011
BrotherRool said:
I actually cannot tell if I should see this film or not
Its not the greatest movie ever but its definitely worth the watch. Seriously go check it out.

lizabeth19

Nov 30, 2010
MovieBob said:
Bob,

I don't agree with what you said but I respect that, instead backing down or refusing to give any reasoning other than 'it's my opinion', you gave a valid, cohesive argument to back up your opinion. I think it's refreshing.

(Quoted for mailbox, hopefully)

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I saw it and you know what? When this is on DVD for $10 or less I'm going to get a copy so that I can have friends over and riff the Hell out of it!

-spoilers-

"Oh God...Oh my God Uncle Ben, SOMEBODY CALL AN AMBULANCE! THE SCRIPT SAYS I CAN'T USE MY OWN PHONE!!"

-

"...he said he was going to visit a V.A. Hospital"

"No, you have to stop him at..." *disconnects* "...Dammit...must inject self...must save veterans...MUST KILL CARS WITH CHILDREN INSIDE!!"

*Lizard breaks into Oscorp, lighting and mood suggest darkness and rising tension as Gwen hides in a cupboard. Random pianist's child keeps tapping keys, keeping tension from rising. Jump-Scare fails* "Hey there Gwen...mind if I just take this from you?" *takes pocket-sized thing from Batman Begins that dispenses mist* "Have fun making your antidote! BYE!!"

-

The hardest things to riff though are the scenes wherein Peter and Gwen gesture at each other since they must have spilled coffee on that portion of the script or something.