Escape to the Movies: The Artist

eljawa

Nov 20, 2009
By all accounts, the movie is supposed to be really good. I think its good to know that the people who give out awards can appreciate a movie with infinite amounts of charm even if it lacks the depth of The social network. That being said, I bet "The Descendants" will win best picture anyways.

FlitterFilms

Oct 29, 2010
I know this thread has gone quiet but I can't contain myself any longer. I see Bob's point about this film although to be honest I was glad it turned out like this because "true art" like the 'Tree Of Life' is such a pile of sh*t!

'Tree of Life' is a pretentious pile of wank only enjoyed by dicks who think shiny things make up for a boring film. I'll admit it was pretty to look at but it was so f**king boring I walked out halfway through leaving my girlfriend inside. She stayed to the end and informed me I didn't miss anything. I have never seen so many people walk out of a movie as I did when I went to see that. It got to the point that the audience laughed every time another person left.

It just seems they were so busy looking pretty they forgot they were supposed to be making a f**king film. Enjoying 'The Tree of Life' is no better than enjoying 'Transformers' because both films abandon being interesting in favour of being colourful and the fact that 'Tree of Life' is more imaginative with it's imagery (well at the end of the day you couldn't be any less imaginative than 'Transformers') doesn't make it any less dull. How you can even say the performances were good I don't know because there was so little of them and none of it seemed to matter. It's artistic movie critic bait tripe that doesn't even have the decency to be interesting at the same time. It's the kind of thing quasi-intellectuals enjoy because it makes them feel cleverer than they really are.

If you liked 'Tree of Life' you're officially too stupid to be allowed to have an opinion.

HA! Take that people I don't know!

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Is it just me or is Movie Bob referencing TVTropes a lot more than he used to...

A Gray Phantom

Mar 4, 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I especially loved the music. Each piece was taken from one film or another as an homage to its predecessors. I was touched when I heard Bernard Herrmann's "Scene d'Amour," and then moved to tears by the end of it. I can't remember the last time a movie has EVER made me cry. Some have come close, but never full-on tears.

No, it isn't terribly original. Cookie cutter plot with recycled music, but it was a good movie. The character of George Valentino reminded me of a Greek tragedy.
"I've been stupid, and proud." He says, a shadow of his former self. He's so pathetic at this point of the film his own shadow literally can't stand him anymore. Yeah, George was a douche, and he all of the problems he had were his own fault. But that's what draws you in: to see what he does next. And he does show glimmers of being a nice guy, and even comes across as an underdog at times.

Bob was right, a proper twist would've been a stalker-ish type reveal, and a truly tragic ending. Like Bela Lugosi after him, it would've made a real impact to see George's life end in misery...

But I liked the ending. Yes, it's predictable. As predictable as apple pie tasting sweet, but you love apple pie because it tastes sweet.

Also, the reason why Peppy loves George seemed simple to me, but I shan't reveal any spoilers.

A Gray Phantom

Mar 4, 2011
Golan Trevize said:
MacNille said:
Golan Trevize said:
MacNille said:
JackrabbitSlim said:
He's just nitpicking it because it has the most oscar momentum right now, and he needs "Oscars suck; Academy is out of touch" material for the next year. (see also: His opinions on King's Speech, Hurt Locker, Blind Side, etc.) I wonder what he'll do if Tree of Life wins anything.
True. Remember back in 2009 where he was prasing Avatar, even as that movie was just fern gully with blue kittins
?
The only thing remotely interesting about Avatar is how it was made.
And the Bad guy. He was really fun to watch.
I forgot about him, but yes, he was awesome.
I was rooting for the military the whole time, especially the Bad Guy.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I just saw The Artist. I thought it was a good movie. I enjoyed it, I had fun. The fact that it's silent means you actually have to PAY ATTENTION to it, unlike other movies in which you're required to turn off your brain to enjoy it. I like the various gags they had, including the one with the dog playing dead, and the clever sound effects gag near the end, like Bob said. Hell, even the ending was pretty clever. All around a good movie!

Oscar worthy? Well, since I only saw this and Hugo, I can't be too sure... I enjoyed it, yeah, but I don't know if it truly deserves to win an Oscar, either.

jaketaz

Oct 11, 2010
I don't get his point at the end about Grindhouse... Grindhouse was a good movie that was interesting and unpredictable. How is that like The Artist?

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
It's not "Oscar Bait", but then it gets 3 Oscars, including Best Picture. I expect today's Big Picture to have a good rant about that.