Escape to the Movies: The Artist

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Artist

This week MovieBob takes on The Artist.

If you're in the Boston area during the weekend of January 13th, he'll be at Arisia 2012 [http://moviebob.blogspot.com/2012/01/heres-where-moviebob-will-be-at-arisia.html], so stop on by.

Watch Video

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Didn't you like Avatar? A lot?
And it was pretty much the same love story with the gimmick being that it was about 3D aliens?

And by the way what was the movie poster that way farthest to the right in the post roll?

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Mel Brooks: always ahead of the curve

Nice to see you're looking forward to Prometheus

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Mikeyfell said:
And it was pretty much the same love story with the gimmick being that it was about 3D aliens?

And by the way what was the movie poster that way farthest to the right in the post roll?
The Hobbit I believe

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
In the spirit of this film I will be responding to this post entirely in semaphore. I don't have a webcam, so you'll just have to trust me on this.

kloiberin_time

Jan 27, 2011
HOW DARE YOU SIR! How dare you compare such a terrible terrible movie such as Jack and Jill to the magnificence of Dunkin Donuts coffee. I would take DD over Starbucks and day.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Aiddon said:
Mikeyfell said:

The Hobbit I believe
You're right, thanks

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
I've got a better analogy:
If Jack and Jill is a Dunkin' Donuts, and The Artist is a Starbucks, Tree of Life is a pretentious pile of shit[footnote]Actually, you can plug and chug the first two parts of the equation, and end up with the same result.[/footnote].

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
I had hoped you were going to review Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, oh well, I might have to go in not knowing! gasp!

Penguin_Factory

Sep 13, 2010
When I saw this getting rave reviews it set off minor alarm bells in my head. I haven't seen it and I'm not privy to the motivations of the reviewers, but it kind of seems like the sort of thing "serious" film critics would feel obliged to praise.

TownTattle

Nov 7, 2011
'The Artist' was probably my favourite film of the year. I disagree with Bob on the idea that being a silent film is a gimmick. The way I see it, silent films are like a certain flavour, and I fucking love that flavour.

I've enjoyed watching silent films for some time now and while almost all of the plots are quite shallow there is often I feel a great amount of expressiveness in them that more modern films tend to lack.

Not that I don't enjoy modern films, but once in a while I want to watch something else. Maybe something from a specific time, or a different era. All different flavours.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Following on the success of The Producers, I hear Mel Brooks is developing a Broadway re-make of Silent Movie.

Only kidding...

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
Kinda surprised to see "Prometheus" as the third anticipated of 2012 instead of "Dark Knight Rises."

Who does that say more about- "DKR" or MovieBob?

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
I love how Mr. Chipman exclaims loosely how this movie is parallel to Grindhouse in deserving an Academy Award, yet would have splooged all over himself if Grindhouse ever won such an award.

What happened to MovieBob? He used to be some schlub from Lowell that reviewed movies like your "Average Joe" would. Now, he's way too full of himself, despite still being some schlub from Lowell. Every single week we have to endure a still shot from The Critic and/or hear about a movie not being screened for reviewers. Ok, we get it. You want desperately to be considered legit and shove it in everyone's face that you're a "film critic". Out of curiosity, does anyone know what his qualifications are or what school (studies) he attended to grant him such a title that he flaunts around like a whore with herpes?

I miss old MovieBob. I miss the swearing, the anger, and the unabashed ogling of hot women. Old MovieBob tore the shit out of Michael Bay, and that was fantastic. New MovieBob apologizes for bashing Michael Bay because he has his "career" to think about. Such a shame. MovieBob sold out even before he began. Now he's just a sheep trying to jockey for position at the Herald. Even worse, probably the Patriot Ledger.