Escape to the Movies: The Artist

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
Whedon did the travesty that is resurection. Also Buffy.

They're both enough reason to keep him away from anything Alien related.
Let's be fair. From what I hear, his works on Resurrection were butchered tremendously, so much so that he wanted his name taken off the project.

As for Buffy, you'll receive no expression of disagreement from me.

It worries me that he's directing The Avengers.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
I've heard this, but the dialogue (which is a big part of why that movie sucked) is very... Whedon. The character interactions and archetypes screamed Whedon and I think it just proves the guy has a very niche capability. There are some things he's undoubtedly good at. But whoever thought he was the right guy for a serious action/horror should be taken into the streets and ceremonially flogged as penance.

I know people who've read his original script and say there is no more difference in it from the final result than there is difference between any other film and it's initial script.
Fair enough, then.

Also, the reason I use the word "worries" is that I've yet to see an action scene directed by Mr. Whedon that hasn't made me shake my head in extreme disapproval. Considering that The Avengers will likely feature a lot of action, I doubt the movie will turn out well, but as you said, if he can pull it off, splendid for him.

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
Umm, Bob, you probably should have lead with 'Mel Brooks did this YEARS ago' bit. Anyway, I actually think 'singing in the rain; does a good job of documenting the transition from silent movies to 'talkies' and it has a 'roper charecter arch for the female love interest. She loves him as a fan, then hates him, then they become friends, he woo's her, they fall in love, they have a tiff because of the other female, then they live happily ever after after he does something bold and selfless for her.

Ok, I haven't seen 'the Artist' but first I think I'll watch 'Silent Movie' first... I want to here the only speaking part Marcel Marso ever had in a film...

JackrabbitSlim

Apr 15, 2009
He's just nitpicking it because it has the most oscar momentum right now, and he needs "Oscars suck; Academy is out of touch" material for the next year. (see also: His opinions on King's Speech, Hurt Locker, Blind Side, etc.) I wonder what he'll do if Tree of Life wins anything.

2-part Epoxy

May 6, 2010
Have you seen Stage Beauty, Movie Bob? That was a fascinating movie.
I mention it because its plot is driven by a similar "era collision," though this one takes place in the 17th Century instead of the 20th. In an age when women are banned from the stage, Kynaston is a star actor who specializes in playing female roles. When King Charles II lifts the ban, he loses his part to Maria: she's an untrained, inexperienced young actress, but an authentic woman. The rivalry/romance between them isn't predictable, thanks to the confused sexuality and even sexual identity of the man involved, a man whose job is to be female and who asks questions like "what does she know of womanhood?"
I highly recommend it, maybe instead of this movie.

haruvister

Jun 4, 2008
I love Bob as a critic, without usually agree with his choices (Captain America in your 2011 top ten, but no Margaret??). However, I reckon he's on the money with this review. Skilful pastiche is all well and good, but idle mimicry is just boring.

Rotating Bread

Jul 22, 2008
So let me get this straight... 'Captain America' was the second best film of 2011, Zack Snyder is a brilliant visionary director, 'Sucker Punch' empowered women and 'The Artist' is not very good.

I think I'll stick with Mark Kermode, even if he does think Twilight is better than Star Wars.

Reptiloid

Nov 10, 2010
Huh, best picture to Grindhouse... I don't see a problem with this.

Also, "The actors are attractive" ...so?

tobimaro

Nov 23, 2010
ewhac said:
Following on the success of The Producers, I hear Mel Brooks is developing a Broadway re-make of Silent Movie.

Only kidding...
Please....no. Now, I'd totally go see Spaceballs on (or off) Broadway.

kloiberin_time

Jan 27, 2011
Swifteye said:
kloiberin_time said:
HOW DARE YOU SIR! How dare you compare such a terrible terrible movie such as Jack and Jill to the magnificence of Dunkin Donuts coffee. I would take DD over Starbucks and day.
Fun fact dunkin donuts plays a prominent role in that movie.
Fun fact I avoided that movie because it looked awful and every critic and friend that I respect said it was an abortion.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
kloiberin_time said:
Swifteye said:
kloiberin_time said:
HOW DARE YOU SIR! How dare you compare such a terrible terrible movie such as Jack and Jill to the magnificence of Dunkin Donuts coffee. I would take DD over Starbucks and day.
Fun fact dunkin donuts plays a prominent role in that movie.
Fun fact I avoided that movie because it looked awful and every critic and friend that I respect said it was an abortion.
I don't appreciate the implied tone of your words. I didn't see the movie either in fact I learned that from the critics of half in the bag who went so far as to call the movie a ponzy scheme.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
BehattedWanderer said:
Brooks did it better, years ago. Which is almost unfortunate. I'd have passed this over if a friend hadn't said it was a spoof silent film, which, as many things do with the word "spoof" in their description, led me to Mel Brooks, and how he's never done me wrong. So, in I went, to compare.

And I liked the Prometheus trailer, though the actual trailer being blocked by the slowly developing text was kind of annoying.

RTR said:
Mel Brooks: always ahead of the curve

Nice to see you're looking forward to Prometheus
Pssh. Brooks drew the curve.
Touché

Rorigon

Apr 14, 2011
JackrabbitSlim said:
He's just nitpicking it because it has the most oscar momentum right now, and he needs "Oscars suck; Academy is out of touch" material for the next year. (see also: His opinions on King's Speech, Hurt Locker, Blind Side, etc.) I wonder what he'll do if Tree of Life wins anything.
Agreed. Seems like whenever Oscar season comes around he puts on his "ironic hipster hat" and decides to hate or play down anything that looks like it's going to get a bunch of Oscars.

I just saw this film, and I really don't get this review. Yeah it's not exactly Inception when it comes to a revolutionary story, but that isn't the point. The point IS that it's a simple, silent film-esque love story. And when Bob said that there's no evidence that the main character is likable aside from his dog; I seriously don't know if we were watching the same movie there. If you really don't think the guy's likable, you're either not human or Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory. Possibly both.