Escape to the Movies: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader

This week, Bob gets on board for Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

Watch Video

CrazT

Sep 19, 2009
nice review, but i dont think i'll see it. i wasn't really a fan of the first 2 films...nor the books actually

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Seems to me like Bob likes a lot of movies. When recommending them I think he needs to realize that a lot of people only see a couple movies every year.....$ ya know.

Angnor

Nov 11, 2010
Hoping to see it. I've always loved the books, and read them to my son, and really enjoyed the movies (mostly) so far. Interesting to hear how they set up conflict in this one.

Fun review as always.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Glad to hear that Dawn Treader is pretty good. It and The Last Battle were the Narnia portions I was/am really worried about.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Electrogecko said:
Seems to me like Bob likes a lot of movies. When recommending them I think he needs to realize that a lot of people only see a couple movies every year.....$ ya know.
Just because he says it's good, doesn't mean you need to see it.

If the movie doesn't interest you, but you hear it's good, that doesn't mean you need to see it.

I've heard great things about plenty of movies, but they never peaked my interest enough to watch them.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Aww, no "ninjas. damn."
OT: Good review, but now I'm curious as to how the next one will do.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
I haven't seen VOTDT yet, although considering what I've seen of the first two films, I actually kinda prefer the older BBC version (although that may just be nostalgia talking). Also, based on that series, I'm sure they're bound to do "The Silver Chair" next, if only to bag Edmund's character while he's still the right age.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Nooooo, I was really hoping it could have been Rare Exports this week... I guess American audiences don't care for quirky european films after all.

OT: I'm not gonna see the Dawn Treader, however may Bob recommend it. I just haven't been into any kind of sword-and-sorcery fantasy for years.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Electrogecko said:

If the movie doesn't interest you, but you hear it's good, that doesn't mean you need to see it.

I've heard great things about plenty of movies, but they never peaked my interest enough to watch them.
I suppose. I guess I'm just surprised that this turned out to be good.

I do feel like 90% of his reviews are positive though.....for better or worse.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Electrogecko said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Electrogecko said:

I suppose. I guess I'm just surprised that this turned out to be good.

I do feel like 90% of his reviews are positive though.....for better or worse.
Relax. With markets as big and varied as movies and games, trying to keep up with all of the ones hailed as good is a chore.

I should know. I went nuts trying to play basically every game that reviewed positive reviews over the past 2 years.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
NO "NINJAS, DAMN????!!!!" What the FUCK!? I knew it was going to be bad, but I thought it would at least be GLORIOUSLY bad. You could at least have the amusing line

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I love the Narnia movies. I sort of got the Christian subtext, but really, how do you NOT love a huge lion?!

I'm glad to hear that this movie was good, I need something to watch this weekend.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I fail to see where it having Chrisian elements to it should be an issue at all. I find it kind of ironic that when something similar to this comes along with a focus on non-Christian religion or philsophy, or that is critical of christianity and/or organized religion in general it's presented as a good thing, but here it's not. I don't think you have to be a believer to appreciate the messages or the analogies, and really I find something rather disturbing with the implication that there is something wrong with being a believer.

Someone whips out "The Matrix", or movies based on "Journey To The West" which is heavily religious (involving gods and the like), and I notice people don't feel the need to make quite the same issue of it. To be honest I actually thought "The Matrix" had just as many analogies as Narnia did in it's own way.

I'm not going to shoot off a list of movies here, or anything, I just don't see why this even needs to come up as a major talking point in regards to the movie.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
I never cared for the Narnia movies, nor have I read the books but... What's this one line that makes Aslan less allergory and more second version?