Escape to the Movies: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
The Last Battle?!?!

If they get as far as making that one, I won't care if it's any good, I'll be too busy cowering behind a chair whenever Tash wanders in to ruin everyone's day.

Unless of course I'm laughing at the the unsubtle beasty they cgi in instead of the half seen creeping nightmare of silence that glided in and out of my six year old brain's nightmares.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
I too would love it if they did Magician's Nephew. I really want to see how they show the witch's original world.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
great review, but I think The Silver Chair is MUCH more confusing than The Last Battle and that to do The Magician's Nephew they'd have to go back in time because that was book #1. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe was book #2....

I've read them all, how did you guess?

Michael Jaynes

Mar 30, 2010
Good to hear that this is pretty decent and that Reepicheep is still awesome. Love me some Simon Pegg.

Also, I was pretty excited about this one coming out when they started making Narnia movies, as this was my favorite of the books that I read as a kid (I think I stopped at The Magician's Nephew).

Samcanuck

Nov 26, 2009
Here is my view. I remember a little bit of a live action show when I was a kid about Narnia. Kinda neat...never read the books or cared. I watched the first movie and caught a bit of the second. Horrible dialog and the acting is not believable. I hated the cheese and hated the noticable "Read the script" acting of both movies. These movies to me sucked...and if they use the same actors (and especially actresses) than this one will suck too. Forget the subtext and symbolism...the movie has to work as a movie first before it tries to have a cherry on the cake.

Sorry movie Bob, I dont understand your opinion, especially when you compare it to the first two and say they were good.

I also thought this review was rather rushed and not complete. No critiscim or outlining of basic structure. Not a great review.

LockandKey

Feb 22, 2009
I'm glad the movies good.
But I'm still sad they made it actiony what I loved most about this book (my favorite in the series) is that there was no world saving, no epic battles, just a journey to the edge of the unknown, I found that super awesome.

londelen

Apr 15, 2009
Did anyone else really like the original films way better? Except for the last one, the last one was messed up.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Let me say one thing about the Magician's nephew, it's the only Narnia book I finished, and I would have to say it was an interesting one at that, I'd love to see it made into a movie. Of course the movie surfers from giving a plot to something that never had a plot (I.E. Alice & Wonderland, Yogi Bear, Smurfs, etc).

P.S. Here's to hoping Yogi doesn't maul Dan Aykroyd's career....

tirone231

Jul 11, 2009
While the VOTDT sounds good, I'm mostly disappointed that they'll never be able to make my favorite of the books, "A Horse and His Boy". Since it technically takes place during Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe, and has only a few characters to tie into the main story. Also, no surprise about The Warrior's Way here

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
I don't get how Aslan is Jesus. "He rose from the dead!" people tell me. Yeah, and then I watched him run into battle and bite a witches' face off! It seems like a pick and chose thing where with heavy confirmation bias in play.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
I just got back from it. Oh wow it kicked ass. The only bad part was after the movie when a preacher was handing out papers that said "JESUS IS THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN SAVE YOU FROM HELL!" Someone doesn't get the point of Narnia. Especially at the end where the parallels become very, VERY obvious.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Glad to hear that Dawn Treader is pretty good. It and The Last Battle were the Narnia portions I was/am really worried about.
I was actually surprised, I thought they were going to be awesome and do an Alice In Wonderland-style adventure a la Disney. You know, how it's more about the experience than the destination?

Not that the high adventure-type swashbuckling is bad at all. It's just a lot different to how I would have done it.

Gunnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
Funny how Bob is okay with Christian allegories in Narnia, but despises the Mormon allegories in Twilight.

Pan's Labyrinth a masterpiece? who said that? ugh

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
Electrogecko said:
Seems to me like Bob likes a lot of movies. When recommending them I think he needs to realize that a lot of people only see a couple movies every year.....$ ya know.
Meh, I like his short summary's of movies that I don't or won't watch. If its a positive enough review I try see it. I also like that he has seen Alot and references them (the Elephant in the room bit "GIVE IT BACK!" Lawl)it shows he knows his stuff and isn't afraid to show it, and still isn't a jerk about it. To many reviewers and similar types are either to afraid of offending people or have their ego so inflated that the actual reviewing takes up 1% of their video.

SpaceSpork

May 15, 2009
Atheist or christian, Aslan's line near the end was a total facepalm.

"I live in your world, too. But in your world, I have another name."

SYMBOLISM!

Indignation837

Apr 11, 2010
Nice review, MovieBob. I'm glad you acknowledged the Christian aspect of the movie without doing too much bashing and mentioned that your personal beliefs get in the way of agreeing with the "message". Also, I completely agree that "The Magician's Nephew" needs to be done at some point, that would make a fantastic movie. I'm also eagerly awaiting "The Silver Chair", because not only is it an interesting story, but it deals more with the fundamental belief in a God as opposed to all the others that flesh out what that God is supposed to be. It's also a lot more subtle, Aslan isn't even really in it.