Escape to the Movies: The Eagle

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Enough with the Halo bashing. We get it. Those jokes are being milked more then the franchise itself. Quit it.

Also, I came here to watch a movie review. Thank you for not supplying.

jazzdaughter

Cooking With Jazz
Apr 19, 2010
The only real thing that caught my attention about this movie was the realization that Jamie Bell was the boy in 'Billy Elliot', and my mind was blown.

InsanityManifest

Nov 14, 2007
Not a bad review but I wonder why there hasn't been a movie about Roman military training? A film like that bits of Full Metal Jacket-inspired scenes would be a movie I'd be down to watch. A young slave is released around the time the Marian reforms take place and joins the Roman Army, goes through the harsh discipline of training, and serves on some harsh front.

Yeah, I'd pay to see that.

Chris^^

Mar 11, 2009
wait, I stopped caring as soon as he said 'a slave who owes him a favour'... isn't the whole point of slavery that the slave does as it's told regardless of its feeling towards its master? or am I missing something?

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Well, at least you're busting it for actual properties of the movie, as opposed to some people on Rottentomatoes complaining about its politics... "oh, noes, Rome isn't in vogue as a good guy nowadays, we can't approve of any movie that doesn't pull a Dances with Wolves on us and make them the bad guys in a thinly-veiled screed about conservatives and/or George W Bush..."

/rant

Good review, though. I might see it eventually, if only because I'm a bit nuts for historical dramas, especially those set in ancient times.

Zamn

Apr 18, 2009
There's an adjective for 'Britain' you know. You might use it for things like, say, British wilderness or British-born slave.

In Movie Bob's defense though, the people complaining about the confusion between Britain, England and Scotland are wrong. I know Americans usually get this wrong, but he's (probably accidentally) right here.

As of 117 AD, there was no England. The Anglo-Saxons didn't arrive in Britain until the late fifth-century. There was also no Scotland, the 'Scots' (i.e., the Irish) did not arrive in the northern part of Britain until the early fifth-century and the place hadn't become anywhere nearly Scottish enough to be called Scotland until many centuries later. In 117, "Britain north of Hadrian's wall" would have been a perfectly good term for the area we now call Scotland. He could have called it 'Pictland', but that's asking a bit much of our lovable resident movie critic now isn't it?

Lancer723

Dec 12, 2008
sailor_960 said:
All these movies about the 9th legion, where the hell is the Codex Alara? Those books are awesome!
*cough*Alera*cough*

So movie is a cookie cutter action flick, Bob hates Halo.

Everything here checks out.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Seriously Escapist, get over the fact that not everyone like Halo. Moviebob admits that he's biased regularly and often(though rarely in EttM, since THAT would be pointless) points out perfectly valid reasons for why he has such an opinion. It's okay to disagree what he says, but declaring it "ruined forever" in every new thread gets tiresome.

Plus, he's only gaining hundreds of popular threads from it. It's feeding the fire.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
MovieBob said:
Bob,
Firstly, if your the entirety of understanding of 'normal people' if such a daft thing can even be said ot exist, is an overdone stereotype, it may be time to have a real long look at yourself to see if you can actually justify that level of arrogance.

It is not, as you claim, a matter of everyone who isn't a critic being arrogant, it is a matter of desenitization. To use your food example, it is similar to someone who eats at great resteraunts every day then who is disgusted by anything that is simply the same. It is not everyone else being an idiot because they like to eat at Arby's( which, as we don't have that in Aus, I have never had), it is you being an elitist snob who claims that gargling rat pellets is better simply because it is differant.

I mean, if you had to describe the entire contention of the second half of your video in one sentence, what would it be? Because from here, it seems a hell of a lot like it was 'You disagree with me, and that's fine, but its only because you're ignorant and I'm better than you.'

I have no illusions that you will respond to this, and that even if you did, it would be a response in the style of you putting on a mocking tone of voice and claiming that I said 'Duhh, Movie bob sucks cus he said I was stupid', but as you do claim to read these comments, I hope to god that you are a troll. If you are a troll, that puts all of your videos into a sensible context, and gives me hope that in the real world, you are a decent person.

If, however, you are not a troll, that leaves you only as someone who knows a fair bit about film and thinks that that somehow makes anyone who disagrees with you a pig fucking moron. And when you think like that, perhaps it is time to sit down and think about how you have gone so wrong.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
*Watching trailer*
-"Oh good, a new movie about Rome! I've been aching for a good swords and arrows war movie!"
-"Wait... is that Channing Tatum?"
-"*Sigh,* It is."
-"PG 13? Well that's that then."

My thoughts while I saw the trailer for The Eagle.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
So two adventurers are looking for a mcguffin, from different cultures and "argue over the rights and wrongs of their respective sides in the conflict". Is this really boring subject matter? Isn't this how characters are fleshed out and issues of the past brought up in films? Is the great civilising project of the Romans meeting a dissenting view-point dull as a given?

You also say the action is dull. Is the swinging of swords, clubs and Celtic ambushes dull to you now Bob? It looked exciting enough to me.

Yes a re-hash, they need new films on more issues, but although you put in a lot of emotion that this was boring, I am not so sure. Yeah if the characters are just one-dimensional it may be bad, but actual discussion of colonisation and imperialism in a film isn't. In Il Gattopardo the characters were pretty set and certain (certainly not complex or quick to change) but that was a great film set in such a tumultuous period.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
I don't think Bob understands the concept of "subjectivist." NOTHING is inherently good; it's only good as observed by the SUBJECT.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Someone should take a fantasy or historical setting and make a comedic movie about it (not a farce, not something with a few chuckles, a COMEDIC DRAMA).

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I think I'm in love. That's the single best thing you've ever said. And it's completely true. Yoshi. Is. A. God.

VanillaBean

Feb 3, 2010
While I totally agree with the bit about Yoshi, but at the end of the day I really did find that aspect to be the only cool thing Galaxy 2 had. Its not that the rest of the game was bad, it just felt like a downgrade from the original.

XShrike

Sep 11, 2007
Arby's seems to have an odd reputation that I have never managed to pin down.

I remember hearing about a movie being made about ancient Rome. A British director was making it and he specifically wanted to get American actors to play the Romans. He did this so there would be an analogy of Rome to the modern United States. Where big powerful cultures invade others to impose their ways on them......

Is this that movie or one of the others mentioned?