Escape to the Movies: The Eagle

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
cubikill said:
And on that last point I understand you don't like Halo, but really, your using that as an example of copy past game sequels. Because whether or not I like objectively, there was more done to reach than putting jetpacks into it. If you want example of copy past games look on farther that guitar hero.From Guitar Hero World Tour to Guitar Hero 5, how many changes happened. Or how about Guitar Hero 5 to Guitar Hero Vah Halen. Where all they did was slap on the likeness of Van Halen and had a shit play list. Or hell even call of duty, where its been the nearly the same multiplayer in the last 4 games, since 2007. Even your beloved Mario isn't immune, Super Mario Galaxy 2 was a long, well made map pack for Super Mario Galaxy. At this point It seams more like you have a personal vendetta towards Halo, and Im fine with that. But come out and own it, because there are a plethora of games that work as better examples for copy/past game design.
I have to agree with you. Whether or not Bob's points over Halo are valid, the fact that he singleso ut Halo to constantly attack makes his opinion on games look as meaningless and one dimensional as those who constantly praise it.

lightspeed

Apr 16, 2009
right good review one thing is bugging me...

for people who are unfimular with geography Britain consits of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. so the movie was set in early england or wales as you said "nothing above Hadrian's wall" which is Scotland. Many of you may think this is being picky but i find it very annoying and know others who do aswell. At one point i think you said "The Britains" no such place exists.

anywho besides that nice review

alexbaxthedarkside

May 21, 2009
GREAT shout out to Yahtzee's zero punctuation and Extra credits shout out Bob. having the two of those shows on the same sites its like having the two polar opposite view points on Game development. And you are Just as important and Talent as those genius. I always love how you put across your argument, very enjoyable stuff! Thank you so much! :)

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
MovieBob said:
God of War 2 added basically the entire greek pantheon and all of the Tritons, I.E. every Greek God outside of the "world starters" and that was still a retred and downgrade from God of War uno.

ADDING A GOD TO A SEQUEL DOESN'T EXCUSE IT.

DamonO07

Mar 15, 2010
Seriously Bob, stop bashing Halo every opportunity you get. It's getting old... Hell, you only seem to know what you see from trailers.

Hr Habberdasher

Aug 31, 2010
lightspeed said:
right good review one thing is bugging me...

for people who are unfimular with geography Britain consits of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. so the movie was set in early england or wales as you said "nothing above Hadrian's wall" which is Scotland. Many of you may think this is being picky but i find it very annoying and know others who do aswell. At one point i think you said "The Britains" no such place exists.

anywho besides that nice review
Actually (ancient) Britain consists of just England, Scotland and Wales and by 'the Britains' he is referring to the word 'Britons' (someone who comes from Britain), however in the time the film is set the Britons referred to just the people of England and Wales while the people above Hadrian's wall were a mix of Picts and Gaels (from Ireland).

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Sequels are suppose to be like the original, hence the word sequel, i.e something that follows. <.<

what is everyone so jaded that every sequel has to be a revolutionary turn in mechanics to be any good? I'm happy so long as they got rid of what was broke and gave me more of what was fun about the original. Hence the old adage that if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

O The Eagle, i mite see it just cause i do love movies about romans. always had a blast conquering the world with them in Total War. Kinda wish they did another Alexander movie, possibly with less homo-eroticism.

LostAlone

Sep 3, 2010
As someone who has had one of those 'all the movies you can watch' film passes for the last couple of years, I totally agree that the movie industry badly needs to get its ass kicked by the critics. I don't always agree with them, but its so depressing to continually see things rehashed and repeated and losing something with every iteration. I saw megamind 4 times over new years, not because it was genuinely good enough to see 4 times in two weeks (its still a great film but still) but because it was by degrees of magnitude the best thing on. I took 4 different people to see it btw, didn't just show up 4 separate times by myself.

I wonder if the hollywood guys really are thinking 'eh someone'll go see it' ? Because tbh it often seems that way. Now that just about every movie is technically well made, and scripts are pretty solid and graphics are all much of a muchness, you genuinely do need something at least a little bit special to make your film stand out from the crowd.

Finally, I will say that one of the things I have always liked about MovieBob is that he'll remind you that his point of view is simply not the same as the average movie-goer, and that critics in general are paid to be critical of whatever, which I think helps you keep some perspective about why critics don't like something that you love. You don't get that enough, and it does often make me feel like critics are just being contrary and only praising art films when they give the top grossing movie 2 stars.

Tohru_Readman

Sep 14, 2009
Good review but we all get it Bob you hate anything Halo. You seriously couldn't think of any other game for that comparison and I know this is a small point but Halo Reach is the prequel to the other Halo games. I'm not a Halo fangirl, I know the story has been done to death but I enjoy the multi player and I at least play a series first before I bash it.

I wouldn't mind so much but you are reviewing a movie, so a movie sequel would have been better for comparison. Like Transformers 2, any of the Mummy sequels, most horror movie sequels etc.....

Sir-Bearus

Nov 10, 2010
I wouldn't dismiss something just because is more of the same, as long as more of the same means, fun, entertaining, interesting, and captivating.
However if it is none of those things and it's just more of the same crap, yeah, than I would just fall asleep.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
o can't wait to see the Escape to the Movies episode on Battle: LA. Alien invasion movies never turn out well unless it has intrinsic political commentary, i.e. District 9, which i thought was a very generic movie. I can almost see it get bashed for being "formulaic" as well. XD

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
Aiddon said:
by the way, I'm the ONLY one who thinks that four superhero movies coming out this summer is overkill?
No, I think so too.

By the way, am I the ONLY one who thinks Yoshi ruins platforming since he can't jump far, only high?
He is so uncomfortable to control!

Anyways, okay review. I normally don't like it when MovieBob imitates sleeping due to a dull movie since it's been done too much.

I realize that there isn't much to say about something as boring as The Eagle, but why can't he review 2 movies at once? He does see more than 1 movie per week right? And even if he doesn't, why can't review an older movie?

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
The fact that he left halfway through the review and had to talk about something else....is the most telling review of all.

Good show

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
"YOSHI IS A GOD!"

Now now Bob, we all know you love Nintendo, but let's not get too much ahead of ourselves.

Sep 17, 2009
Wow how often is Bob going to talk about disliking Halo? Does he think it's cool or something?

Also even Yahtzee said adding jet-packs makes everything better!

OT: This movie looked horribly boring and I will be avoiding it.

TheAmerikahn

Aug 24, 2010
I'm so tired of Bob hating on Halo, especially considering the dedicated video he made about it had a paper thin argument

oh well, different strokes for different folks

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
What I learned from this thread is that if you make a reasonable, considered appraisal of moviegoers and the film industry but then mention in passing that you also don't like a certain videogame, the public will zero in on the latter and rip your throat out.

The community here can get really tiresome.

Ian Lutz

Jan 23, 2011
To me it is a slippery slope. Yes, I understand how a formula can get played out and as such doing something new is worth a good bit of phrase. On the flip side, something that is very polished is also worth a good amount of praise. Look at Super Mario Brothers and Super Mario Brothers 3. In SMB you are introduced to the basic idea of the Mario series, a 2D platformer, with power-up, and monsters you have to dodge. SMB 3 did the same thing, but kicked it up a notch by adding new challenges, power-ups, and bosses; this is what made SMB 3 a great game. Think about it, if everyone tried something different then we would have such classics like Star Wars.

Johkmil

Apr 14, 2009
Batsamaritan said:
Bob dislikes halo...yaaaaawwwwnnn.

Tired cliche trolling aside, a good review bobs on form lately he was totally right about the kings speech. I shall give this one a try on dvd and save my cash and all is forgiven for making me waste my money on scott pilgrim, behind the video games references and zany fights it was pretty empty and merely trying to pretend to be clever while presenting a limited grasp on human relationships.
This is slightly off topic, but having read the comic, I must say that the problems of Scott Pilgrim you address are inherited directly from the comic.

On topic, it is good to have someone who addresses these oft-mentioned criticisms of critics; "critics are out of touch" "critics are snobs", or the dreaded "you are not supposed to analyze the movie, only enjoy it."