Escape to the Movies: The Expendables 3 - They Finally Got The Action Formula Right

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Expendables 3 - They Finally Got The Action Formula Right

Despite slogging a bit in a few spots, The Expendables 3 is finally the decent star-filled action film that the first two films were trying to be (and failed).

Watch Video

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
After seeing Gibson and Banderas be so fun in the Expendables style film Machete Kills I'll be sure to give this movie a look, probably when it's on DVD.

And I think I prefer the "just show an image of Robin Williams" thing to some moving message or goodbye.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Who'd have figured the day would come that the nostalgia throwback machismo movie would be better received than a sci-fi novel adaptation that deals with real-world themes?

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
MarsAtlas said:
So much for the summer of rage I was expecting from Bob. TAS2, Godzilla, Transformers, X-Men, then TMNT, and lastly Expendables 3. Oh well, there's always next summer, right? Dawn of Justice[footnote]pffffhahahahahaha! That never gets unfunny to say out loud.[/footnote], here we come, on the backs of our dying horses with freshly cleaned clubs!

Good to hear Expendables 3 is alright. Didn't like the first two. Still not gonna see this in theatres, but might see it once its released though.
DoJ is 2016 so you have a while but I'm sure 2015 will have plenty for Bob to ***** about.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
*Sigh* Imagine if Robin Williams had been in the Expendables as some kind of fast-talking Mad Dog Murdoch kind of character? Now I'm sad again.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
@1:20

...Am I the only one who likes Arby's? What exactly have they done to be so hated?

Anyway, good review.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Heh. Wasn't expecting to hear that.

I gotta admit, Bob getting pissed about a movie is a guilty pleasure of mine. Turtles, the second Transformers, and the like; those are the Bob movie reviews I remember and go back to every once in a while for a grin. I was kind of expecting that for this one too.

But, I am glad this one turned out to be a good one. Like Bob, I am the target audience for this kind of stuff. Maybe I'll give this one a look when it's on some streaming service I already have a subscription to.

Thanks Bob! :)

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Still skipping it considering I have no attachment to Stallone and most of the other guys. There are exceptions, but I have better things to do than stroke Stallone's insecure ego.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Bob, you are wrong. It's not "okay" to try to put action movie legends into one franchise and try to milk it. It's not okay at all.

Onuryn

Arm-manager Anagrammer
Nov 14, 2008
Bob, remember when you said Fast & Furious took a few movies to find their formula? Maybe Expendables finally did it... And now we can get Expendables 4 & 5 each time more ludicrous and entertaining :)

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
MarsAtlas said:
youji itami said:
DoJ is 2016 so you have a while but I'm sure 2015 will have plenty for Bob to ***** about.

Doy, I'm stupid. Marvel could fuck up Planet Hulk pretty easily in 2016 too. Additionally, while nobody wants it to be bad, Jurassic World has a quite strong chance of being bad or even just medicre and underwhelming. If that happens, everybody on the internet is going to shout out in unison to bash it to pieces. I don't know how upset Bob would be at that, though, since I think he was a little bit old enough that it may not have had such a strong influence on him as somebody born a few years after him would have been effected by it.

I was 11 when the first Jurassic came out and I thought it was awesome, still do in fact I saw the 20 year 3D rerelease last year.

Now if Jurassic World was the first sequel I may have been upset if it sucked but lost world and JP 3 already ripped that out of me and I'm sure it did to most JP fans as well.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
marioandsonic said:

...Am I the only one who likes Arby's? What exactly have they done to be so hated?
You are not the only one! I don't know what Arby's has done to garner such hatred from mass media, but I love the place. Yum. If I have to choose between Wendy's and Arby's for lunch, I chose the latter. But my kids won't eat there because The Simpsons made fun of Arby's on two separate occasions.

p.s. Don't be offended by the link. I drop it every time I respond to a "am I the only one" post.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Caucasian Michelle Rodriguez... holy shit, that is so accurate it's not even funny.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Aaaaaaw damn.

You see I didn't mind the first two films for the precise reason Bob likes this one, the 3rd acts are freaking crazy, it just takes so freaking long to get there. I still remember in the first film where Stallone and Stone Cold smash into a brick wall and Lee and Statham take that dude's head off, or Crews using that ridiculous shot gun... can't remember to much from the second one, Lundgren was kinda fun... so was Van Damme, although that final fight was sad to watch.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
marioandsonic said:

Anyway, good review.
For me at least it was the food poisoning I got there twice.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Holy crap, Kelsey Grammar is in this? I was surprised to see Harrison Ford, but Kelsey Grammar? Well played, Expendables 3... well played.

Also, it bears mentioning that Expendables 3 has quite possibly the best movie tie-in game made this century. As the legend goes: Lionsgate Studios realized that a developer was already making and selling Early Access to "basically The Expendables, only good: The Video Game", also known as Broforce [http://store.steampowered.com/app/274190/], and approached them about a tie-in/crossover. The result is The Expendabros [http://store.steampowered.com/app/312990/], a free demo for Broforce using (temporarily) exclusive characters and scenarios loosely tied in with the movie's plot. It's short, certainly, and everything you'd expect from a free shareware-style game demo, but the fact that this crossover not only happened, but was the movie publisher's idea deserves some kind of recognition.

Just look at this trailer, featuring noted celebrity Dolph Lundgren! Be warned: this video is extremely loud and may cause severe cases of tasting freedom and 'murica! syndrome.

OT: Thank you Bob, for reassuring me that Expendables 3 doesn't entirely suck, and I shall support Free Lives and Devolver Digital, and coincidentally Lionsgate Studios, without fear of absolutely hating this movie.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
For my part, I've missed Wesley Snipes, and that was a powerful draw for me to see this. No matter how crappy the first two were.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
marioandsonic said:

Anyway, good review.
"Eh, people do a lot of crazy things in advertisements...like eat at Arbys."

"I'm so hungry I could eat at Arbys"
*mutual groans of disgust from everyone*

"A possum drowned in the pool. You got a garbage bag?"
"Throw it over the fence. Let Arbys worry about it."

Three different lines from three different Simpsons episodes. Oddly enough, I don't believe these episodes were written by the same dude. And I'm with you. I like Arbys, I just tend to think of these lines whenever I hear mention of Arbys lol.

This was a fun episode, Bob. I'm glad to hear you liked this one a bit. Not because I have any particular fondness for this series, it's just kinda nice to see you enjoy some more movies xD

Thanks for the touching photo of Robin at the end.