Escape to the Movies: The Expendables 3 - They Finally Got The Action Formula Right

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lol. i still have to till next month for it but i will watch it regardless. sure, none of them are great but hell, its just over the top crazy stuff you just have to laugh at the end. i still enjoyed the last 2 so im sure i will with this one as well.
but yeah, good to hear that its alright regardless from a critical point of view.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Clankenbeard said:
marioandsonic said:
@1:20

...Am I the only one who likes Arby's? What exactly have they done to be so hated?
You are not the only one! I don't know what Arby's has done to garner such hatred from mass media, but I love the place. Yum. If I have to choose between Wendy's and Arby's for lunch, I chose the latter. But my kids won't eat there because The Simpsons made fun of Arby's on two separate occasions.

p.s. Don't be offended by the link. I drop it every time I respond to a "am I the only one" post.
I was thinking the same thing... Arby's is actually my go-to fast food place but there are hardly any around here...

OT: Nice to see that they actually got the formula right. Still probably not going to see it as I did see the first one with a friend and was disappointed even after I lowered my standards for 'stupid violence, no story'.

Logience

Jun 25, 2014
Arcane Azmadi said:
And another hole gets shot in the criticism that Bob is just a biased hater who refuses to give fair reviews to franchises he hates like Transformers and The Expendables. Maybe NOW people will get the message that when he says a film is bad it's because he thinks IT'S BAD, not because it just personally ticks him off.
Actually, you could say that because of the whole flaring up about how everyone's criticizing him because he hates the new Spiderman and TMNT, he might have just decided to lie about liking Expendables 3 so as to look like he's not biased against modern film culture.

Not taking that stance, just giving you options.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Logience said:
Arcane Azmadi said:
And another hole gets shot in the criticism that Bob is just a biased hater who refuses to give fair reviews to franchises he hates like Transformers and The Expendables. Maybe NOW people will get the message that when he says a film is bad it's because he thinks IT'S BAD, not because it just personally ticks him off.
Actually, you could say that because of the whole flaring up about how everyone's criticizing him because he hates the new Spiderman and TMNT, he might have just decided to lie about liking Expendables 3 so as to look like he's not biased against modern film culture.
I honestly doubt he cares about what his detractors think. He never stopped inserting his MoS/TASM/TDKR quips into his videos regardless of the exasperation it generated. In fact, giving it a bad review would have profited him more since it would have created a greater outrage, longer comment thread and thus more traffic.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Funny, i thought this was the worst of the three, especially because f the action. It's so poorly shot nd edited that it's almost impossible to see hat's going on and the final action scene just drags on forever. There's also next to no development in the final actionscene, just a lot if fast cuts between good guys killing bad guys, there's nothing at stake. It feels very modern in that regard, no suspense, just a lot of shit happening intercut with jokes.

If it wasn't for the actors like Banderas and Mel Gibson, this would have been Die Hard 5 levels of bad, fortunately it does have a couple of good cenes and some fun moments, but the action is awful. And i even thought the second one was pretty good.

darthdenim

Jul 10, 2014
Bob Has finally gotten over Scott Pilgrim bombing at the boxoffice.

I'm proud of you, Bob. I think we've made some real progress here.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Saw it yesterday and I had a good enough time, but the formula is definitely wearing a little thin. I really don't feel the formula this time was treated all that different than in the previous movies so I'm not sure why Bob is calling this one out as being "okay" and the others as being trash.

My biggest complaints:
- The younger characters didn't click at all. Without the name/face/history recognition of the older generation stars, I was just left feeling like the new faces were just sort of there to be new faces. As actors I'm sure they're decent (well, except Rousey, she was pretty cringe inducing but worked extremely well in the fight scenes) but I was just left going "okay, now get back to the real stars."

- Antonio Banderas' character was not at all what I wanted/expected out of Banderas. The way I like to see these actors in a movie like this is to have them riff on their previous characters not make up something completely new. It's not that his character was bad but he just wasn't the suave, super cool but sometimes cheezy guy I felt he should have been given his history.

- Way too much Harrison Ford. Maybe I just don't get what people find so entrancing about him, but I just felt there was way too much Ford shoved into the movie at every possible opportunity. I didn't find him funny or entertaining at all and it ended up just feeling awkward how they would repeatedly cut to him to deliver pointless one liners.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
There are people who watch action movies as their first choice and do not see them as a guilty pleasure.

There's a whole bunch of these "team up" movies going right back to Seven Samurai and things such as Dark of the Sun with its chainsaw fights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rf_vulEuSw

I watched the Stallone/Schwarzenegger team up in Escape Plan and Arnie was the one who got the cheers.

There was some talk of doing an all-female version of the Expendables but it has not eventuated as yet.

Previous projects with an all-female cast have ended up being exploitation exercises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbj3SoYMzQM

Hong Kong cinema? They have done team-up movies many times, mainly for commercial reasons. The 'Five Venoms' were created specifically to do action team up movies.

Heroic Trio (Maggie Cheung, Michelle Yeoh, Anita Mui)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXfNg6NN3C4

Eastern Condors (Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao, Joyce Godenzi, Yuen Wah, Lam Ching-ying, Yuen Woo-ping, Corey Yuen, Billy Chow)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCtCaJZJEEw

Wonder Seven (motorbike avengers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH_oQwJztDI

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Weird, because most others are saying it's the worst of the bunch in the action and that it's been downhill in quality since the first movie's ending sequence with all the choppy editing, CGI blood, zoom ins, bad choreography. And that the middle section is terrible with the new characters.

Either way, I'll skip it because the first movie was a nostalgia cash grab disappointment and there are better movies on the horizon.

Ghadente

White Rabbit
Mar 21, 2009
meh, still not worth seeing for me. Unless i'm bored, somewhere I can't access any other entertaining media, and its free... i will not be giving this movie a try.

"Give it back" HAHA! thumbs up on that one

drschplatt

Aug 18, 2010
Well shit. Bobbie said something good about the movie. That means it's going to suck balls like all the other movies he likes. I really had high hopes for this one. Normally, I wait and see if he didn't like a movie before I go see it. If he doesn't like it, it normally means it's great.

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
Why is it when bob gives a semi positive review of a series he normally hates, the comments on Facebook complain saying it was worse than the previous ones. I start to wonder if all those comments do it just to be contrarian?

drschplatt

Aug 18, 2010
crimsonshrouds said:
Why is it when bob gives a semi positive review of a series he normally hates, the comments on Facebook complain saying it was worse than the previous ones. I start to wonder if all those comments do it just to be contrarian?
I think it has more to do with the fact that Bobbie tends to not like good movies, and enjoys watching ass gravy.