Escape to the Movies: The Expendables 3 - They Finally Got The Action Formula Right

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
I would've liked to hear what you thought about Boyhood this week, Mr. Chipman. I know it's your show and please feel free to continue doing what you do, but this movie didn't need a review to get people in the theater seats: Boyhood absolutely does.

Simply one of the best movies that I've ever seen and I'd recommend everyone forgoing this typical throwaway action movie in favor of Boyhood (assuming it's playing near you) this weekend.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
Bob confirmed for loving Wendy's.

And who can blame him, Wendy's is pretty fucking rad.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Burnouts3s3 said:
Who'd have figured the day would come that the nostalgia throwback machismo movie would be better received than a sci-fi novel adaptation that deals with real-world themes?
Um, anyone? Sci-fi novel film adaptations don't exactly have a stellar track record.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Thing about The Expendables is that fans watch it for all the famous old action heroes. Not for the young people. Maybe they should bring out a movie called The Expendables jr's. lol

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
youji itami said:
MarsAtlas said:
youji itami said:
DoJ is 2016 so you have a while but I'm sure 2015 will have plenty for Bob to ***** about.

Doy, I'm stupid. Marvel could fuck up Planet Hulk pretty easily in 2016 too. Additionally, while nobody wants it to be bad, Jurassic World has a quite strong chance of being bad or even just medicre and underwhelming. If that happens, everybody on the internet is going to shout out in unison to bash it to pieces. I don't know how upset Bob would be at that, though, since I think he was a little bit old enough that it may not have had such a strong influence on him as somebody born a few years after him would have been effected by it.

I was 11 when the first Jurassic came out and I thought it was awesome, still do in fact I saw the 20 year 3D rerelease last year.

Now if Jurassic World was the first sequel I may have been upset if it sucked but lost world and JP 3 already ripped that out of me and I'm sure it did to most JP fans as well.
I don't get the hate for Lost World. Was it perfect? No, but it's leagues above the steaming pile of crap that was JP3.

I agree though. Jurassic World has a really good chance of not being very good. The set up is perfect, but the execution/direction is where my concern starts to flare.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
So they finally got the recipe down? May have to check this one out. Really wanted to like the first two, but seriously, the first one was a groaner and when I Redbox'd the second one, it didn't even hold our attention, I remember absolutely nothing about that movie. Glad they got it together.

Also, I'm just going to say what we're all thinking, the over-the-top movie about mercenaries needs a Ryan Reynolds Deadpool cameo.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
So is Mel Gibson's thing now to be the fun over-the-top insane super-villain in his movies?

Because I am totally fine with that.

He does it disturbingly well.

MaddKossack115

Jul 29, 2013
TOOK them long enough to get the Expendables right! Of course, since the whole "passing the torch" sub-plot is kinda dampened by none of the newcomers being memorable (Rhonda Rhousey asides, and mostly by virtue of being "Caucasian Michelle Rodriguez"), I AM hoping that, if more Expendables are made, they actually do start picking up more modern action stars to pick up the slack, and also that these films start to increase in quality rather than go downhill again.

Speaking of future Expendables films, anybody else hear about [[http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/gina-carano-is-the-first-to-sign-on-for-the-all-female-version-of-the-expendables the planned all-female spin-off]]? I know everybody's champing at the bit for the classics like Sigourney Weaver and Uma Thurman (and so am I), but I also hope that they include Nan Yu and Rhonda Rhousey as their previous roles in Expendables 2 and 3, just for continuity's sake (and I'm secretly holding out for a bit where Nan Yu's character basically sums up the events of Expendables 2 as an unmemorable mess, before going on a meta-tangent on mocking the "guns, explosions, and macho one-liners" movies the Expendables seem to be chronically ripping off).

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Hopefully next Sony will makes a good TASM movie and the fanboys can get off Bob's tits for not being 'fun-loving' or whatever.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Fappy said:
Caucasian Michelle Rodriguez... holy shit, that is so accurate it's not even funny.
I dunno, from the clips he used it seemed like she was around for the big party at the end. Wouldn't Caucasian Michelle Rodriguez be contractually obligated to die before that?

This sounds like the kind of movie I'll skip but in a few months will search for the "friendly banderas scene." Couldn't be less interested in the rest of the movie.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
marioandsonic said:
@1:20

...Am I the only one who likes Arby's? What exactly have they done to be so hated?

Anyway, good review.
I don't hate Arby's but so far it's the only fast food restaurant that has managed to give me a severe case of heart burn which is surprising considering how I can keep crap like Taco Bell[footnote]I really love Taco Bell and I seriously think I have a problem.[/footnote] down just fine. So take that for what you will.

I was kind of curious to see what Bob would have said about The Giver because for once it was a movie on a book I've actually read thanks to mandatory 7th grade. But I'm not surprised you just gave it a passing "it's not good" in the credits.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
If it wasn't weird enough hearing Yahtzee say something nice about a F2P MMORPG, today Bob gives a thumbs up to an Expandables movie! And only focusing on the Expendables series itself without whining about anything else that came out this summer? I should see if the sky is falling or that the seas are red as blood now.

Sergey Sund

May 20, 2012
Been re-watching some of Robin Williams stand-up routines. Can only recommend. Would watch again. 10/10
Weapons of Self-Destruction
Robin Williams on Broadway
.... and earlier
seriously, just wiki that.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Damn, might actually have to go see this one.

I grew up loving cheesy meathead 80's action flicks, so I was stunned by how much I didn't like the first 2 Expendables, and Bob really nailed why. Nothing really memorable about them, the one-liners were awful even by 80's action flick standards, and most of the action scenes were too CGI heavy.

Also, let's give Ronda Rousey some more credit here: Ronda Rousey is (arguably) the best female fighter on the planet, Michelle Rodriguez is just hot and looks tough.

Dec 16, 2009
MovieBob said:
The Expendables 3 - They Finally Got The Action Formula Right

Despite slogging a bit in a few spots, The Expendables 3 is finally the decent star-filled action film that the first two films were trying to be (and failed).

Watch Video
i wanna like these things, but why the hell do they have to make them 12A/PG13 - it doesnt work!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Maybe I'll have to check this one out. I was so incredibly bored in the first movie, I literally feared seeing the second. And I still haven't seen it. I probably won't see this in theatres, but I'll definitely check it out when I have an opportunity.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
And another hole gets shot in the criticism that Bob is just a biased hater who refuses to give fair reviews to franchises he hates like Transformers and The Expendables. Maybe NOW people will get the message that when he says a film is bad it's because he thinks IT'S BAD, not because it just personally ticks him off.

RIP Robin "Funniest American of the 20th Century" Williams.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
i wonder if bob saw a totally different cut of this film than i did. I too am in the target audience, and i found the whole thing to be shockingly dull. Like, worse than the first one dull (though not as bad as the second). Gibson and Banderas were the only redeeming parts of the whole movie. Not even Arnold could save this thing.

that said of all the stars in this movie i think Stalone is the one i've always liked the least. Given that he has like 70% of the dialogue that may have something to do with my negativity lol.

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
Even though it's likely been said more than a few times by now: Bob, I think you may have given us the most tatseful homage to Williams since his untimely death. No words, no quips, no dates, just a picture of a great comedian giving us all a big damn grin because he knows we love him and he loves us too. Thank you Bob Chipman. Thank you.