Escape to the Movies: The Expendables

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Expendables

This week MovieBob lets you know if The Expendables is expendable.

Watch Video

Zephyr892

Mar 15, 2009
This review for some reason really made me want to hear MovieBob do a game review... and Yahtzee do a movie review...

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Certainly didn't expect that you would be reviewing the Expendables on the Escapist. I've saw your review on your journal.

With that said, there aren't good movies came out this week?

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
I never see movies on 'opening weekend' and usually wait for some critical reaction to stuff before I see them. In this case I'm glad I did, this movie did look amazing on paper but there was the worry of it going beyond ironic to just poor.

I'll take my scolding from Bob and go See Pilgrim instead (and been as I'm in the UK the A-Team again too maybe!)

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Sounds like someone's upset over Scott Pilgrim's failure in the box office.

Couple of my friends saw it and liked it. They were reminded of the old 80s "manly-man" movies and thought it was a good popcorn flick. Don't think I'm seeing this one though. Scott Pilgrim here I come.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Soooooo, that's a no on The Expendables then?

Blue-State said:
Data East Arcade Collection.AWESOME
It's funny he's Talking about Gore in Rambo when spoiler Rambo doesn't actually kill anyone in that film.
I think he's talking about Rambo 4 wich was just called Rambo.

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
Blue-State said:
Data East Arcade Collection.AWESOME
It's funny he's Talking about Gore in Rambo when spoiler Rambo doesn't actually kill anyone in that film.
He's talking about the recent entry in 2008. He blows people to chunks in that one.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
I new this film would be terrible, anything with Jason Statham is bad in my eyes.

Also it's shame it wasn't the film people wanted I.E haveing all the pre-90s action stars getting togeather for one big genocide.

Jason Danger Keyes

Mar 4, 2009
I was considering seeing it just because Jet Li is in it, but now I'll just go rent one of his other, not-shitty movie instead and get to see him kick the most righteous of ass.

SamStar42

Oct 16, 2009
Look, Bob. I've defended you more than I need have, you're probably one of my favourite movie critics but please, for the love of God, accept that not every movie has to be this artistic piece, with amazing acting, original set pieces and have an important message behind them. Some movies are just meant to be enjoyable to sit through. Salt was this and you appeared to like that even if there were two reasons attached to Jolie that probably helped your opinion along the way.

And please, stop stating that everyone who likes a movie you don't is worthless. Transformers, Book of Eli, and now Expendables - some people just like to sit through a movie that's brainless. Whilst they're not that good, stating that everyone who likes them is pretty much wrong is just arrogant and pretentious.

Not everyone who likes bad action movies is this douchebag frat boy, who can't tell the difference between an etch-a-sketch and a Da Vinci. Just accept that occasionally people don't see things the way you do, because you're starting to become insufferable.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
MovieBob said:
The sad thing is, they actually DID take a movie meant to be a PG-13 and made it R. The studio made to cuts to the Movie, one being PG-13 and the other being the one on screen now and let a test audiance decide what would make more money. They wanted R, so the effect team added the same amount a gore a noise bleed has so it barely got an R rating.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Nerd Rage ftw! You know, I had even forgotten that this movie existed. Even the trailer wasn't memorable past a week, which is about as much of a failure as possible from the entertainment industry. Also, please tell me you'll be reviewing that 3D Piranha thing at some point. It just looks so...abysmal.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
If I manage to scrape up enough pocket change to see one movie in cinemas before autumn, it wasn't going to be this one. It still isn't. I WANT MY SCOTT PILGRIM DAMMIT!

The_root_of_all_evil said:

Now THAT's Nerd Rage. Kick 'em in the teeth, Bob :)
Well said.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
Interesting review, though the censor bleeping sound does get a bit annoying, expecially since it is two or three times louder than the actual talking.
I will say that I myself would say that neck snapping kick later in the movie kind of counts a a memorable kill though.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Movie Critic doesnt like mainstream Movie? Shocking indeed!

I liked it, Scott Pilgrim is better but there is room in todays market for all these movies