Escape to the Movies: The Expendables

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
I personally enjoyed The Expendables. But I can absolutely understand why Bob hated it.

ragingasian36

Feb 6, 2009
G-Force said:
Freebird. said:
MB202 said:
WhoaItsBrett said:
You're supposed to review movies, not the fans of said movies.
All you really did in this video was bash fans of movies you don't like.
I thought he did review the movies, and he just commented on the kinds of people who are into these sorts of movies.
When exactly did he review the movie? Give me one legitimate criticism he gave other that "it's just bad."
Going off of memory.

- Use of actors like Willis as over glorified cameos
- Shaky Cam fight scenes
- Actors that gave performances but were under used
- CG Blood
well... the first one is more an issue with the marketing than the movie. the second is largely a product of one of the movies that he compliments as being better movies and i couldn't really find him mention shaky cam in the video, your third example is a more generalized version of your first example and also his objections seemed more to be along the lines of these actors have been in better stuff which is not entirely a fair criticism especially when one of the "better" movies is only better because it has tits. There are actually a few other criticisms he lobs against the movie that you neglected to mention but they are mostly within a 30 second period from 3:50 to 4:20 and quite a few are b.s. he mentions that there is not a single memorable kill but lots of people have mentioned the neck snapping with statham and li, there's also the aa10 scene and some that are memorable just for being hilariously bad.

don't get me wrong, this was not a good movie. it was a fun movie for me but i watched it with friends and that fact makes the movie instantly more entertaining to me if only because we could laugh at it later. but this review is b.s. you can't complain that something is bad because it is artless than say a different movie was better because of tits. he makes some good points but so much of this video is just insulting the people who watched an interesting sounding movie. we're probably going to get a lot of shitty movies because this came out but moviebob must just be having his period or something 'cause this video was awful and it's just 4 and a half minutes of bitching with 30 seconds of half valid points.

sneeky033

dAT cAPSLOCK
Dec 1, 2009
SamStar42 said:
Look, Bob. I've defended you more than I need have, you're probably one of my favourite movie critics but please, for the love of God, accept that not every movie has to be this artistic piece, with amazing acting, original set pieces and have an important message behind them. Some movies are just meant to be enjoyable to sit through. Salt was this and you appeared to like that even if there were two reasons attached to Jolie that probably helped your opinion along the way.

And please, stop stating that everyone who likes a movie you don't is worthless. Transformers, Book of Eli, and now Expendables - some people just like to sit through a movie that's brainless. Whilst they're not that good, stating that everyone who likes them is pretty much wrong is just arrogant and pretentious.

Not everyone who likes bad action movies is this douchebag frat boy, who can't tell the difference between an etch-a-sketch and a Da Vinci. Just accept that occasionally people don't see things the way you do, because you're starting to become insufferable.
THANK YOU. you just saved me the trouble of having to type all that in my own words.

Ryan Hodros

Feb 13, 2010
Come on, you guys didn't know? When presented with a movie like the Expendables, a movie critic HAS to write a scathing review about how much it sucked. It's in the contract.

So Bob, I can forgive your crappy review. The movie had its flaws, none of which you really pointed out (except that Randy Couture has no business acting), and instead just went on for what felt like ages about how anyone who liked the movie is a douchebag. We get it Bob. You think you're better than your fans.

(All this review was missing was a "worse movie ever!" for you to have totally embodied the Comic Book Guy)

My main issue with the review is that it reeks of "I didn't actually watch the movie." Like you had two tvs sets on, and were watching reruns of the Simpsons on the one set with the movie playing in the background. Like you had written a master review BEFORE SEEING THE MOVIE, basing your entire opinion on the trailers, and then grabbing enough little details to spice up the main body of your review so as to hide the fact that you're not being too professional this week.

I like you MovieBob, but this was sub-par. Not just for you, but for any critic anywhere. I imagine you seeing that Scott Pilgrim had lost at the box office, and firing off this turdpile of a review in retaliation "because this'll show those assholes in Hollywood!"

Except that's not a critic's job.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Man.... shit ton of people weighing in here...

So I told my buddy that I'd rather see Scott Pilgrim instead of this crap and he agreed, but when I showed up late to the theater he'd bought us tickets for this instead. He summed up the appeal of the movie perfectly when in the third act he says "there's been an explosion every 30 seconds for the last 20 minutes! This shit is awesome!" Didn't have the heart to tell him that this film was sucking dried shit out of a squirrel's ass even as we spoke.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
As a nerd, I don't like being sold the idea of romance. I'm an incredibly awkward person myself, and haven't had a girlfriend despite being 21 - more a case of second-guessing too much to ever make a move. As such, I know that awkward nerds shouldn't get the girl in real life, and that's a big part of the premise of this film. It doesn't just annoy me to see this idea propagated; it actually offends me. I mean, I don't like romantic comedies at the best of times, but when they're trying to spread an idea as absurd and ridiculous as Scott Pilgrim, things go off the deep-end very quickly.
So you hate the film because in it a nerdy character gets a girlfriend? That's an odd reason to hate a film.

Enraged7Wolf

Jul 3, 2009
I wounder if this guy always goes to the movies with a fist up his ass... try going to a movie without the need to be a pretentious dick and enjoy yourself... or maybe you just need to find a girlfriend..

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
This review has given me all the fuel I will need to keep my boyfriend from making me watch this movie. I shall do everything in my power to make him see Scott Pilgrim again instead, because the action in that movie was phenomenal.

Maur DL

Boredom Slayer
Jul 8, 2009
I'm not sure how to take this review. I like Bob's criticisms but it doesn't sound like hes a fan of action movies in the first place, so not liking this one doesn't really hold much weight...

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Axolotl said:
RAKtheUndead said:
As a nerd, I don't like being sold the idea of romance. I'm an incredibly awkward person myself, and haven't had a girlfriend despite being 21 - more a case of second-guessing too much to ever make a move. As such, I know that awkward nerds shouldn't get the girl in real life, and that's a big part of the premise of this film. It doesn't just annoy me to see this idea propagated; it actually offends me. I mean, I don't like romantic comedies at the best of times, but when they're trying to spread an idea as absurd and ridiculous as Scott Pilgrim, things go off the deep-end very quickly.
So you hate the film because in it a nerdy character gets a girlfriend? That's an odd reason to hate a film.
That really doesnt make that much sense, So I have to agree with Axolotl. My dislike of the movie comes from me just not liking the whole of what goes on (like the videogame inspired fight scenes, and Cera), not the premise.

badumtish

Jun 4, 2010
First thing, I saw expendables and really enjoyed it,shit blew up and for an hour and a half I had a big dumb grin on my face. I'm also about to leave to see Scott Pilgrim so there's that (mostly because I am a huge Edgar Wright fan). But you want to know why Scot Pilgrim did poorly, because it has a base that consists of a portion of gamers born in a 15 year period that played a particular type of game, it has a small base of support. The Expendables base is everyone who likes to watch people get shot and Jet Li kick people, it has a large built in base. And what people don't share your view of movies therefore the world is shit, how pretentious do you have to be to make that statement.
I get the feeling that if this were in fifth and Scott Pilgrim were in first the review would be: I didn't like it but if you want to see shit blow up go see it. Oh, and anyone who says that Jet Li could dismantle Couture doesn't know dick about fighting.

killakcin

Jun 3, 2010
I don't get why he didn't like this movie! sure the plot was paper thin, sure the character development was negligable, but thats not why i went to see it! I wen't to see badass action stars do what they do best. and they delivered! the action was never dull, the variety between hand-to-hand, awesome guns, explosions, and THROWING KNIVES was incredible! And he is way off on the lack of gore, a certain series of exploding heads and loss of limbs due to certain fully automatic shotgun that even made stone cold steve austin book it was f*ing ridiculous! I think he was way off, and anyone who enjoys action movies should watch this. Just ask yourself this before you buy your ticket, "did i enjoy gamer? Crank? T2? Predator?" if you answer even a "sure it was OK" then WATCH THIS MOVIE!.

killakcin

Jun 3, 2010
badumtish said:
First thing, I saw expendables and really enjoyed it,shit blew up and for an hour and a half I had a big dumb grin on my face. I'm also about to leave to see Scott Pilgrim so there's that (mostly because I am a huge Edgar Wright fan). But you want to know why Scot Pilgrim did poorly, because it has a base that consists of a portion of gamers born in a 15 year period that played a particular type of game, it has a small base of support. The Expendables base is everyone who likes to watch people get shot and Jet Li kick people, it has a large built in base. And what people don't share your view of movies therefore the world is shit, how pretentious do you have to be to make that statement.
I get the feeling that if this were in fifth and Scott Pilgrim were in first the review would be: I didn't like it but if you want to see shit blow up go see it. Oh, and anyone who says that Jet Li could dismantle Couture doesn't know dick about fighting.
lol "i would have win!"

pyro42

Aug 22, 2009
no really tell me what u really think of this movie. wow, i don't think i have ever seen Bob tare a movie apart like that. crap man. well it's a little sad, i was hopping the movie would at least be fun. oh at least i didn't see it, but i did see Scott Pilgrim and it was alsome.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
SamStar42 said:
Look, Bob. I've defended you more than I need have, you're probably one of my favourite movie critics but please, for the love of God, accept that not every movie has to be this artistic piece, with amazing acting, original set pieces and have an important message behind them. Some movies are just meant to be enjoyable to sit through. Salt was this and you appeared to like that even if there were two reasons attached to Jolie that probably helped your opinion along the way.

And please, stop stating that everyone who likes a movie you don't is worthless. Transformers, Book of Eli, and now Expendables - some people just like to sit through a movie that's brainless. Whilst they're not that good, stating that everyone who likes them is pretty much wrong is just arrogant and pretentious.

Not everyone who likes bad action movies is this douchebag frat boy, who can't tell the difference between an etch-a-sketch and a Da Vinci. Just accept that occasionally people don't see things the way you do, because you're starting to become insufferable.
This.

Hubilub said:
For someone who tries to hinder people from being elitist nerds, you are one of the biggest elitist nerds I've seen in quite a while.
And this.

I think theres something going on behind the scenes on this one, if it was just a bad movie he wouldn't have freaked out about it even if it did sell really well and stole some thunder of a good movie (transformers anyone?)

Normally I trust your judgement but I just can't agree with this review.

Bobaramer

Nov 24, 2009
Why am I the only one on earth who doesn't want to see shitty ass Scott Pilgrim?

On that note, I'm still going to see this movie. Even if it is THAT bad, it looks like a fun time to have with some friends. Rent the movie and have a few laughs I guess. That's what we did with Paranormal Activity.

G-Force

Jan 12, 2010
ragingasian36 said:
well... the first one is more an issue with the marketing than the movie. the second is largely a product of one of the movies that he compliments as being better movies and i couldn't really find him mention shaky cam in the video, your third example is a more generalized version of your first example and also his objections seemed more to be along the lines of these actors have been in better stuff which is not entirely a fair criticism especially when one of the "better" movies is only better because it has tits.
When he was saying "better" movies he wasn't just using the DOA live action. It was moreso that these actors previous works won them accolades such as Oscars and Oscar Nominations or were at least in movies that were both entertaining and had artistic value (Idiocray). Moviebob loves brainless action as he loved the A-Team and the Transporter series but he also loves how action movies have evolved to involve plots and the new trend in Hollywood to just teach actors how to fight than fighters how to act. So when he goes off to say the viewers are the worst kind, he's moreso pointing the finger at the super macho people who want MANLY MEN movies who think good plot line and real choreography should just GTFO.