Escape to the Movies: The Giver - Don't Bother Giving This Movie Your Time

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Giver - Don't Bother Giving This Movie Your Time

MovieBob almost missed seeing this movie, but it's easy to see why.

Watch Video

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
You didn't review The Identical? I'm so shocked.

Next week, it is Dolphin Tale 2 and No Good Deed, which will likely be two more duds.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
I laughed every time at "tatataaaa- community", except that one time I took a train (germanophiles will get this one, oh come on, I just clocked off and now I'm in a silly mood) on my vaporizer.

I think the trailer warned us enough about this movie. I read the book in English class under the tutelage of a very stern (the emphasis is on 'very stern') English teacher, and I have fond memories. I'm a little sad to see it got ruined.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Enough Escapist get someone else to review films who doesn't need to do a boring and annoying joke over and over again.

No idea about the film couldn't stand the 'joke' to watch it all.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
The beginning of this reminded me of John Carter of Mars. The original story, but other people have stole and improved so much it fades into irrelevancy.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
The first time the Community Joke came up, I laughed. And because Community is also my favorite TV show, I got an extra chuckle or two from the next time and the one after that...but then it got reeeeeeal old real fast.

I know there's that comedy rule about if you do something long enough it stops being funny but if you keep doing it it becomes REALLY funny (which is sometimes true) ...I don't think that applied here.

And Yay, Dragon Quest Warriors! Yet another series is getting the Warriors treatment! Goody goody gumdrops (this sounds like sarcasm, but it's really not. I like that genre for good hack 'n slashy fun. Maybe one of the MegaTen series or even Pokemon could get something like this)

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Why is the story so simplified in it's message and views, why can't it keep the symbolism of the book?

Teenagers aren't all idiots, We can take that type of abstract thought so please make a movie that does the book justice and help inspire people.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
Hasn't What We Do in the Shadows come out yet?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3416742/

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv568AzZ-i8

It says it was released earlier in the year but I am not sure if it means it was screened at a festival?

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Wasn't really a fan of the book. The movie, when I first heard of it, sounded like it COULD have promise... but given the lack of any information beyond "it will exist," I haven't been able to get worked up enough to care about it. With the flood of other dystopia (I know it's not a dystopia, but it's close enough) films out there, I'm gonna pass. Give me a movie with a more upbeat, colorful, and interesting future. These "the future will suck" movies are getting boring, unimaginative, and repetitive fast.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Question: What Dragon Quest game was that at the end?

Nthing the Community (Dun! Dun. DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!) joke getting old fast as well.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Well, it's nice to see that there are others onboard with me about it not being a dystopia. I remember once chatting with someone about the Giver and the books that came after it. I'm not sure if I would recommend such a society to the real world, considering how disastrous it would be if the people in charge aren't as competent and well-meaning as the ones in the book, but in the book they are that and I was left thinking, "Who needs higher emotions when you can spend every moment of your life feeling content with what you have?"

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
Besides how quickly the community joke got old, I don't get why the movie borrowing from communist societies, which do tend to be very authoritarian and regimented in their real-world examples (yes yes, not true communism, yada yada yada) deserves to be scorned that heavily. It's not like other movies haven't used heavy handed symbolism before.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
That sudden blast heard when "community!" shows up is only something worth listening to once in a single episode of anything, if I'll be honest.

Well, at least the movie drought isn't as bad as the game drought right now (hey June, July, August? Anything coming out? No. Well... fuck)

franksands

Dec 6, 2010
Allow me to be the voice of dissent. This has been one of the funniest episodes yet. I laughed at each DUNDUNDUUUUUUN, specially the last one, where Bob himself is interrupted mid-sentence.It's a pity, because the trailed seemed nice and I was looking forward to watching this. I don't live in the US, so it didn't launch here yet.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I was dyslexic growing up so I didn't read many books, reading mostly manga and comics instead, BUT there was one series I read and indeed still read.

Why the hell have these books not been made into films Hollywood or at least a t.v. series BBC?

These books are soooooo gawdamn good, they have interesting characters, incredible settings, serious themes, it's just... I don't get it. Why are all these bloody films with vague dystopian/utopian settings about a sexy young chosen one so popular? What happened to a main character just being part of the world they inhabited instead of the only sane one in an asylum of twats.

I just, I-GAH!

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
castlewise said:
The beginning of this reminded me of John Carter of Mars. The original story, but other people have stole and improved so much it fades into irrelevancy.
Although it's interesting that two of the major inspirations for the Fantasy genre, Conan and LotR, have excellent movies.