Escape to the Movies: The Great Gatsby

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Great Gatsby

MovieBob takes us through the decadence that is The Great Gatsby.

Watch Video

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Oh I'm getting the popcorn ready for when Card goes on a homophobic tirade.

And for some reason I'm imagining Rex from Blood Dragon being in The Great Gatsby now. And it's HILARIOUS

Tombsite

Nov 17, 2012
Kinda hoped (despite knowing better)that this one contained some sort of hidden quality that would make it worth my time. Leo is cool and all but I think I am going to skip this one. Also haven't we seen the trailers for over a year by now?

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I was hoping for a more meaningful film, considering I liked the book, but I suppose after the trailers, this is really all I should have expected. Oh well, I still need to go see Iron Man 3.

cyvaris

May 10, 2011
Aiddon said:

And for some reason I'm imagining Rex from Blood Dragon being in The Great Gatsby now. And it's HILARIOUS

I think someone should organize some sort of massive LGBT event. Not a protest, no no, that is far to predictable, instead a large group needs to go/show massive support for the movie. Card would flip his lid and it would be rather amusing.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Huh, and I thought Star Trek was out in the US this week. Pity as I was hoping to see if its worth going to see for a reason other then to watch Sherlock kick the shit out of Kirk.

Ta for the review though as its a film I've been curious about for a while and I admit Leonardo Decaprio has continued to surprise me in the same way watching a 90's Tom Cruise film always does.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Danm I thougth this week was going to be Star Trek: Into Darkness (I guess that next week then).

Also when did that news of Electro apperance in the next Spiderman movie got out? (Look ok, kind of remind me more of Radioactive man look during his time in Osborn Thunderbolt team.)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The transfer to full Bostonian is almost complete.

And does anyone wanna tell me whether I should see the new one or just go watch the old one, specifically?

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
You also can't spoiler something that's required high school reading. Anybody who doesn't know the story of The Great Gatsby by this point has no excuse not to.

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
Baz Luhrmann is the most overrated director of all time right after Tim Burton. The editing in his movies is just downright awful and the cinematography and confusing as hell. even if the production deign is marvelous, you couldn't tell !

Also, why the hell a period movie is in 3D ?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I thought Gatsby himself was supposed to be shallow. He doesn't hate the monied world. He wants to be part of it. The reason he adores Daisy is because her laugh reminds him of the clanking of money.

varmintx

Oct 6, 2011
lacktheknack said:
And does anyone wanna tell me whether I should see the new one or just go watch the old one, specifically?
You should read the book. :) The '74 film, despite its great cast, is quite lifeless.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
For the Electro thing at the end my only complaint is that the image reminds me of Arnie from Batman, other then that I dont mind.

Still curious for the rest of the character design, the one from the comics is way over the top for a movie so its cool that they are changing it.

rickynumber24

Feb 25, 2011
cyvaris said:
Aiddon said:

I think someone should organize some sort of massive LGBT event. Not a protest, no no, that is far to predictable, instead a large group needs to go/show massive support for the movie. Card would flip his lid and it would be rather amusing.
I was going to put my money in for the full theater of the absurd:
Minor actor (maybe one of the kids? that'd be priceless) comes out as gay. Card flips his lid and... I dunno. Full-on absurdity would probably be disowning or trying to block the movie.

The LGBT group can get behind the movie and push in support of our young hero. ;)

(No, I don't think this is going to happen, but it'd be :popcorn: for people on the outside. I'm a terrible person.)

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Man, the Boston accent is really butting in more and more these days XD

I don't really mind it, but it is kind of jarring to jump between that and your broadcast voice.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I know this is only partially related to this video, but I really hate the excuse of "Well it's really old anyway" when it comes to spoilers. Just because something's old doesn't mean it isn't new to somebody out there. 10 and 20 years from now when the toddlers of today are playing Bioshock on an emulator or PSN/XBLA equivalent, the big twists that everybody today is familiar with are going to be totally new to them. And the impact of those realizations are what made those moments so amazing to us as players when we first experienced them. I think it's really degrading to think that somebody is less deserving of experiencing that same realization for themself just because they made the mistake of being born a few decades "too late." And not only degrading to the player, but to the people who made the game as well. By refusing to let these people discover for themselves the lies in Rapture, we're also systematically disarming the creators of the game from delivering the experience they intended.

In some cases spoiler warnings aren't that big of a deal (knowing the ring is going to make it to Mordor doesn't change how frighteningly outnumbered the Rohan are at Helm's Deep in the Lord of the Rings), but when it comes to MAJOR plot twists like in Bioshock, plot twists that carry an overwhelming about of the dramatic impact of the story, I think we need to not be so dismissive of them.