Escape to the Movies: The Great Gatsby

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
I hated the book, the people in the book and having to read it. There is nothing you could do that would drag my ass into a movie theater for this. This is on the same level as Pride and Prejudice.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I read 'The Great Gatsby' in college or high school, I forget which. It was one of the most laborious and dull reads I'd ever had in my fucking life. I felt like a champ when I read 'The Power of One' (a great fucking novel and a pretty good movie) because it was the size of a house brick. Gatsby was about 1/5 the size and took thrice as long to read.

Everyone, even Nick to a degree, is a total douchebag. I uttered what TV Tropes calls the Eight Deadly Words of "I don't care what happens to these people" within the first chapter and was praying for the outbreak of WWII by the middle.

That the movie is just as empty is no shock.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
Was forced to exclaim profanities at the screen just at the trailer when I saw Baz Luhrmann's name as were a lot of other people in that particular screening. Although not the Hulk-like rage I get from even the trailer to Juno, I'm not going out of my way to see any of his movies. What captcha? "Such a dag"?!

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
If Hollywood were one big football game, Jamie Foxx would be the audible play for every team. Seriously, the guy is showing up in everything lately! (not against it, just an observation)

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
RJ Dalton said:
You also can't spoiler something that's required high school reading. Anybody who doesn't know the story of The Great Gatsby by this point has no excuse not to.
It wasn't required high school reading for me. Different places have different education systems so, there's that...

Edit: My bad, looks like you've been called out on this a lot already. It's late, and I'm feeling too lazy to read the whole thread before commenting and having a bit more trouble than I do when I'm fully awake resisting the urge to be a snarky asshole.

Your Gaffer

Oct 10, 2012
I will be pretty sad if Card's personal views go on to hurt Ender's Game at the box office. Besides using his story the project is the hard work of a lot of other very talented people and I personally am really looking forward to it.

The other thing about all the hullabaloo that comes up around Card's views on same sex marriage, as repugnant as many people find those views to be he has still written some beautiful books filled with great messages of acceptance and compassion that are not changed by his political views one bit.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I disagree with you on spoilers Bob. For example I had never heard of the Great Gatsby until I saw the trailer before a showing of Les Mis. I think that no matter how popular or old something is a spoiler is a spoiler because there is always someone new to what you are talking about.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I'm waiting for the day where Bob just says "Screw it!" and goes full Bostonian with his reviews. XD

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
I was thinking that this was good for using Dick Dastardly as the villain character then....

Bob trumps it with Rex "Power" Colt for the complicated hero pic

Well played Moviebob, Well played. You win the Internet!

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
A shallow movie about shallow people based on a shallow book about shallow people? No wonder it never works out.

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
why the hell does everything need to be in or have 3d sections in them? its a waste of time and money that does little to nothing for the films, i saw Iron Man 3 in 3D(I didn't pay for it and that's the only reason why i saw it in 3D at all) and maybe 1/4 of the movie had 3D bits in it maybe an hours worth of film total, not worth 23 bucks for 2 tickets at all.
Make the film engaging and you wont need to shill out thousand if not millions on bullshit effects

Karathos

May 10, 2009
I love the slips into Boston-Bob mode. I'd love for you to do a video where you skip the radio voice and just read things out naturally. Either that or get a voice-acting job for a gangster themed game! :D

Can't help but be reminded of Django Unchained when looking at clips of Leo DiCaprio in a nice suit with a drink in his hand, toasting and cracking that same smile. Will keep an eye on this as it's released in Finland.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Talking about how good a movie could have been instead of where it stands as it exists now is an interesting, yet not quite as useful as you might think, tact to take.

The super annoying thing was the dirty trick The Escapist website used to dupe me into clicking on advertising I had no interest in looking at. I don't mind that there is advertising; I'll even suport the site by clicking on advertisements I'm actually interested in checking out. But that's not what happened - using a transparent field over content to trick me into clicking on it? That's stupid BS.

Thumbs down Escapist. Thumbs down.

cwmdulais

Jan 18, 2010
about the whole "dosnt need a spoiler alert because its so old and everyone should know it" it does require a spoiler alert for some like me, as it may be required reading for yank's its not all to well known over here in the UK (most people know OF it, but beyond that not all that many have actually read it or have heard the story)

EDIT: I wonder how many Americans have read anything by Chaucer?

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Heaven forbid a guy named "Electro" looks like he's made of electricity, as oppose to wearing a bright green and yellow costume with a lightning bolt mask. And yes, I am aware that Foxx looks more like an electrified Smurf, and I could not care less about that. With the inclusion of the Rhino (who is Paul Giamatti, officially), I'll just be happy IF we can get a Sinister Six on the big screen before Sony's films completely and financially bomb at the box office, worldwide, and we get (another) reboot from Marvel Studios.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Safaia said:
Gorfias said:
Kmadden2004 said:
SomebodyNowhere said:
I know it is unreasonable to expect a character like electro to look exactly like he does in the comics, but what kind of redesign is that.
One that's going to end up looking something like this, I'd imagine;

http://images.wikia.com/marveldatabase/images/f/f9/Maxwell_Dillon_(Earth-1610)_010.jpg
Wrong. That's Dr. Manhattan from "The Watchmen". Kidding!

But, it has been done before. Man, I'm going to miss the green and yellow outfit.
Unless there is a giant blue dick and Vietnamese abortions in this one too I'm not interested.

On topic: the English major in me wants to see this but bleh.
I have hope for Man of Steel as, Snyder seems a genuine visionary with something to show us. But, "bleh" is what I fear. Movie Bob voiced the fear that the new Star Wars and Star Trek will not be bad. They just won't be great. They'll be safe and technically proficient and we will walk out of theaters shrugging instead of having our imaginations set on fire. I "liked" the Amazing Spiderman... less so upon a 2nd viewing. Safe, samey. I'm hearing the new Star Trek will be more of the same. The next Spiderman has a lot of ground to make up. I think I'll like it again. That's not enough. I'm better off staying home watching "Game of Thrones" on TV.

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
cwmdulais said:
about the whole "dosnt need a spoiler alert because its so old and everyone should know it" it does require a spoiler alert for some like me, as it may be required reading for yank's its not all to well known over here in the UK (most people know OF it, but beyond that not all that many have actually read it or have heard the story)

EDIT: I wonder how many Americans have read anything by Chaucer?
It's not uncommon to have to read Canterbury Tales. It's not quite as high up as To Kill A Mockingbird and you'll probably read it in one of the higher grades, but it still ranks up there.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
I love your reviews Bob. Seriously 70% of the time your "go see it" is truly a fit for my personal tastes, but when you do this HORRIBLE thing where every other damn sentence is switched between your Boston accent and what seems to be your review voice it becomes nauseating.

Can you PLEASE go one way or the other? Either use your accent all the way through, or use the generic review voice you've used in the past. I can't possibly be the only person who dislikes the constant shifting between the two every couple of seconds in a review that barely goes over 5 minutes.

Hindkjaer

Sep 15, 2010
Sean951 said:
Hindkjaer said:
I'm rather pissed that just because it's common in American Litteratur, it is considered okay to spoil it. Grantet this wasn't like "Vader-Luke" proportioned spoiler, but still. It seems a little arrogant.
It's not just common, it's been required reading for most high schoolers going back decades with 5 previous movie versions. The statute of spoilers goes back 20-30 years, and at that point I feel it's fair game. Exceptions being when this is the first movie/TV adaption from an old book.
Your last point being very important, because A Storm of Swords have been out for 13 years, but I would bet my bottom dollar that if you spoil that to anyone they are gonna be mad.
But I will give you, that the fact it has been out for so long, and have other adaptations, is a good reason to be able to just talk about it. Never the less, nobody I knoe in Denmark have heard about it...

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
I just saw Sta Trek Into Darkness and it's well worth it. Just the right amount of homage to Star Trek 2 with some great new takes and twists added in. Benedict Cumberbatch is terrifying but I was most surprised by the fact that Chris Pine proved he can act...you will see what I mean. Trekies will love the shit out of it.