Escape to the Movies: The Grey

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
This movie had my attention the moment I saw Liam Neeson raring to punch a wolf in the face in the trailer. I'm glad to hear that it's more than just that, though I would've seen it anyway. Now I'm more excited to see this flick!

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I was surprised when the subtitle said:
MovieBob said:
The first great movie of 2012.
Then I remembered that Bob's definition of "great" is more broad than Yatzee's. To Yatzee, a "great" game comes out once every couple of years. To Bob, "great" is equivalent to Yatzee's definition of "good". Therefore, this movie is like Dead Space 2, though some aesthetics differ (as in Dead Space throws monsters at you instead of sneaking them into proximity).

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I was hoping this movie would turn out well, what with my man-crush on Liam Neeson after Taken and all. I may try to get my friends to go see this with me.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
Man, I hate them putting stuff in the credits. They only do it because they know no one gives a toss who did what. Can you imagine a world where every product or service did that?

Otherwise the film looks good.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Huh, Bob seemed rather more forgiving of this one than Film Brain was, same thing with Haywire last week.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
I live in Alaska, so I'm already ready to be laughing at whatever ridiculousness goes around because of that, but add in wolves when the subject is always touchy back and forth (and recently there was a pack driven into what counts as our suburban areas early last winter season thanks to, you guessed it, bad moose numbers) ensures that I won't be seeing it. :| The premise is okay, I guess, but whenever wolves and bears go up on the target list so there's more prey animals for the lucrative hunting licenses, or because their prey animals are down so they look for other prey (ie, pets and occasionally humans), and how hollywood seems to see them as some sort of monster over an animal trying to survive and then a movie comes out about them, showing them in a negative light and possibly warping voter input because people just can't seem to do their own damn research about how these animals really act. . .

Yeah, it yanks my chain.

In response to the poster above me, no a wolf cannot take down a moose alone. A moose can easily kill a wolf with a single kick; it's why they have to hunt in family groups so they can wear down their prey animals and try to remain safe. It is also why they tend to go for weaker or older animals.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Ah... To stay through the credits...

The thing that always seems to annoy the cinema staff around here.
They don't say so, but you can feel their presence as they get annoyed because they're not allowed to clean up until the last person has left...

Being that last person is always an awkward feeling.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
MovieBob said:
The Grey

The first great movie of 2012.

Watch Video
Don't you mean, the first "Grey-t" movie of 2012? :p

Also, do you get Vertigo?

Rabidkitten

Sep 23, 2010
Wolves don't attack humans btw. Like ever, I think there are almost no recorded incidents of wild wolves attacking a human. Dogs while actually just wolves, are prone to attacking humans but in reality they often feel cornered, mistreated, and scared. Something that doesn't often happen while your a big wolf out in the middle of the vast wilds. Wolves are terrified of humans, and will generally avoid them at all cost.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
CrystalShadow said:
Ah... To stay through the credits...

The thing that always seems to annoy the cinema staff around here.
They don't say so, but you can feel their presence as they get annoyed because they're not allowed to clean up until the last person has left...

Being that last person is always an awkward feeling.
Then it's their problem, not yours. You should have the right to watch all the credits if you want, even if there's nothing after the credits.

OT: This movie does look interesting, can someone give me a little hint as to why it's called "The Grey" though? I think it's kind of a silly title but that's probably just me.

jecht35

Jul 2, 2011
Is it just me or are people to sensative about animals being portrayed as villians in movies. Its a fricken movie if people take it serious that animals really act like that, then thats there problem. Do wolves normally attack humans not really. Do wolves attack humans in there own territory or hunting grounds, I don't know maybe. So I can suspend belief for what seems like a good movie.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
littlewisp said:
The premise is okay, I guess, but whenever wolves and bears go up on the target list so there's more prey animals for the lucrative hunting licenses, or because their prey animals are down so they look for other prey (ie, pets and occasionally humans), and how hollywood seems to see them as some sort of monster over an animal trying to survive and then a movie comes out about them, showing them in a negative light and possibly warping voter input because people just can't seem to do their own damn research about how these animals really act. . .

Yeah, it yanks my chain.
Skyrim has probably soured more peoples' opinions of Wolves and Bears than any movie could ever do :p

OT: Only movie I want to see right now. Wanted to since I saw the trailer a month ago. Will do so immediately.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
When I hear of a plot scenario like this, my first thought is "Good, they deserve to get eaten by the wolves for destroying their natural habitat with that plane crash!"

I know, I'm a bad person. Looks like a great film though, I'll definitely check it out.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Sounds a bit like Centurion in the 'bunch of men find themselves in a survival situation' kind of way. And I liked Centurion.

Matt King said:
did... he tie blades to his hands then charge at a wolf?
Yeah I thought that was kind of stupid too, after seeing that I promised myself I wouldn't pay to rent or go see this film.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Bob...not to be ungrateful or anything, but isn't there a Sherlock Holmes movie you need to review. You know, one that is way better than the original?

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Rabidkitten said:
Wolves don't attack humans btw. Like ever, I think there are almost no recorded incidents of wild wolves attacking a human. Dogs while actually just wolves, are prone to attacking humans but in reality they often feel cornered, mistreated, and scared. Something that doesn't often happen while your a big wolf out in the middle of the vast wilds. Wolves are terrified of humans, and will generally avoid them at all cost.
I'm surprised that's actually an issue to some people. It's like saying you don't like unicorns because horses aren't supposed to have horns. Or that you didn't like the Lion king because animals aren't supposed to talk. Sometimes you gotta play around a bit for the sake of suspense and personally i think wolves do it just fine, because as wild animals go wolves are pretty intimidating.

OT: You had me at "Liam Neeson".

Matt King

Mar 15, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
Yeah I thought that was kind of stupid too, after seeing that I promised myself I wouldn't pay to rent or go see this film.
um stupid? it's fucking amazing :D