Escape to the Movies: The Grey

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
Its like Bear Grylls the Movie. I wonder if we get to see Liam Neeson drink his own pee.

Daniel Is I

Jan 27, 2012
I know it was only released yesterday, but I was kind of hoping for a comment about the Ferris Bueller teaser (See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuHmEo0Bx7Q ) in the post-video credit comments. Maybe next week.

On topic: Never had much of an interest in these action-packed "guy" movies, but this looks interesting to say the least.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I don't get why people attribute so much of the credit of a movie to the director (or sometimes the actors in some cases), it's simply wrong. I mean is the director of the movie really responsible for everything that's good about it? Did he write the script? Did he write the screeplay? Did he write or perform the music? Did he create the sound effects? Did he act in it? Did he edit it? I'm guessing the answer to most, if not all of those questions is no.

A lot of other people helped make the movie what it is and I think it's unfair to say it's all because of the director. This happens all the time with popular directors and I really think it needs to stop. I'm not saying they are bad directors or that they make bad movies, but people need to put their work in to perspective and realise that so much of what they like about a movie has nothing to do with the director at all.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Hmm.... might have to take a peek at this one sometime. I already think that a movie having Liam Neeson in it typically means at least part of it is good (aka, the scenes he is in XD). But the movie as a whole being good too? Well... that just might mean i'll check it out someday. :D

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
Lets be honest here, Expendables 1 was basically a PG-13 movie. Only thing that bumped it up to R was the cluster-F-bomb Bruce Willis drops in his ONE freaking scene.

Other than that the violence was bland, the swearing was minimal, there was less T&A than your average cable TV show.

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Rabidkitten said:
Wolves don't attack humans btw. Like ever, I think there are almost no recorded incidents of wild wolves attacking a human. Dogs while actually just wolves, are prone to attacking humans but in reality they often feel cornered, mistreated, and scared. Something that doesn't often happen while your a big wolf out in the middle of the vast wilds. Wolves are terrified of humans, and will generally avoid them at all cost.
I'm surprised that's actually an issue to some people. It's like saying you don't like unicorns because horses aren't supposed to have horns. Or that you didn't like the Lion king because animals aren't supposed to talk. Sometimes you gotta play around a bit for the sake of suspense and personally i think wolves do it just fine, because as wild animals go wolves are pretty intimidating.

OT: You had me at "Liam Neeson".
It's all about willing suspension of disbelief. People let talking animals slide in Disney flicks, because they're Disney flicks. Likewise, anything with Unicorns or elves or blue superheroes who neglect pants is given a pass because they occur in a world distinctly different from our own, where such things exist.

The Grey is set up as a gritty action packed real world type movie. As such, people tend to expect it to follow the real world rules we all know and love/hate. For people familiar with animal behavior, seeing hyper-aggressive wolves is akin to seeing Liam Neeson up up and fly away halfway through the flick. It was cool when Christopher Reeve did it, cuz he's freaking Superman. But it would be awkward and jarring to see it happen here.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
So it's not just a movie about Qui-Gon punching a wolf in the face?
Good to hear that, although I have no idea when are they releasing this over here, but on the plus side, Drive just came out.

Siberian Relic

Jan 15, 2010
twaddle said:
I want to see your face.
Feel hands in mine...
its lines like that (although cheesy) that made me consider seeing this movie and it was bob who made it a definite
Another quote from the movie I thought was cool was about the place being "a sort of prototype for hell, occupied by men unfit for mankind." Something along those lines.

Rabidkitten said:
Wolves don't attack humans btw. Like ever, I think there are almost no recorded incidents of wild wolves attacking a human. Dogs while actually just wolves, are prone to attacking humans but in reality they often feel cornered, mistreated, and scared. Something that doesn't often happen while your a big wolf out in the middle of the vast wilds. Wolves are terrified of humans, and will generally avoid them at all cost.
Since Neeson's character is apparently hired to protect the workers by shooting wolves, I'm walking into it with the impression the wolves are taking a sort of supernatural revenge.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
OH. MY. GOD. Liam Neeson is an Avenger! I KNEW it!

OT: Will definitely try to check this movie out. Seems awesome as hell.

FunKing

May 17, 2010
you totally sold me on this movie...i believe i found something to do w/ my Saturday :)

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
so I waited through the credits to see 5 seconds of basically nothing ty bob was worth the wait

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Ulquiorra4sama said:
I'm surprised that's actually an issue to some people. It's like saying you don't like unicorns because horses aren't supposed to have horns. Or that you didn't like the Lion king because animals aren't supposed to talk. Sometimes you gotta play around a bit for the sake of suspense and personally i think wolves do it just fine, because as wild animals go wolves are pretty intimidating.

OT: You had me at "Liam Neeson".
The reason I have a problem with that myth is that some delightful people use it as a way to further their agenda of making that species extinct. But I agree, it's a film and it's a neat plot-device, as long as you remember that they're not going to hunt you down like that when there's plenty of prey with more meat and less sharp sticks out there when you leave the theatre.

But OT: I think this could be an interesting film. I'm not too big on the "Alive"-genre, really, but Liam Neeson is always Liam Neeson. It'd be interesting to see James fight of wolves and survive Alaska, to say the least.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
CrystalShadow said:
Ah... To stay through the credits...

The thing that always seems to annoy the cinema staff around here.
They don't say so, but you can feel their presence as they get annoyed because they're not allowed to clean up until the last person has left...

Being that last person is always an awkward feeling.
After the main production staff credits I start poking people still in their seats with a stick to make them leave.

I hate post credits sequences since it means I have at least 5 fewer minutes to clean the place up. I also don't like them as a movie-goer. I don't know whether or not there is anything at the end, and if it's so important then it should have been placed at the end of the movie. The Incredible Hulk did that and it was better as far more people got to see it.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
I only just saw a poster (billboard) for "The Grey" today, didn't know it existed but I saw Liam Neeson on it so that piqued my interest, now that MovieBob has put his seal of approval its definite top list of Movies to go see now.

danyy2009 said:
For some reason the video only loads untill around the middle of it, and then gets stuck =/.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/help

and there's the Tech Team User Group here;
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Tech-Team
Join in and chat, hopefully someone can help.

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
So you like the movie for its portrayal of traditionally male values, while stating those values were dead previously.

Whatever, I just want to see Liam Neeson get in a punch-up with some wolves.