Escape to the Movies: The Hunger Games

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Revnak said:
It was really good. The books are average. The movie has an 86% on Rotten Tomatoes and is not just an average movie. I wasn't even planning on watching this movie until Monday I realized I wasn't going to be able to watch the Borrowers. I have three friends who went with me that thought it was a good movie, one of whom hadn't read the books and another of whom hated them. This is not a bad movie. This is a very good movie.
This is called being subjective and having different opinions, it is a case of you considering it good movie but that does not make it an objective reality, regardless of the anecdotal evidence and the calls for majoritarian authority you use. If you consider it a good movie, great, that's cool, but critical opinions on it are just as valid.

I'll be seeing the Hunger Games tomorrow with my girlfriend, she's a big fan, hopefully the movie will be ok, I'll hold off my opinion til then.

Mindless1

Feb 29, 2012
Ha, I like that he refrenced the infamous South Park cripple fight when mention how badly choreographed the movie was. Bob, please tell me you know that the cripple fight was a scene for scene remake of the fight scene in They Live. You know, our two protagonist arguing over putting on those specks? I'm serious, if you have you to screens, be it one monitor or tv, que up that episode of south park, and that scene from They Live, and it's a blow for blow remake.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Blind Sight said:
Revnak said:
It was really good. The books are average. The movie has an 86% on Rotten Tomatoes and is not just an average movie. I wasn't even planning on watching this movie until Monday I realized I wasn't going to be able to watch the Borrowers. I have three friends who went with me that thought it was a good movie, one of whom hadn't read the books and another of whom hated them. This is not a bad movie. This is a very good movie.
This is called being subjective and having different opinions, it is a case of you considering it good movie but that does not make it an objective reality, regardless of the anecdotal evidence and the calls for majoritarian authority you use. If you consider it a good movie, great, that's cool, but critical opinions on it are just as valid.

I'll be seeing the Hunger Games tomorrow with my girlfriend, she's a big fan, hopefully the movie will be ok, I'll hold off my opinion til then.
I guess I am coming off a bit strong about all this. The sleep deprivation does that to me sometimes. I just wanted to throw my opinion out there. Then the person that quoted questioned the validity of my opinions, so I threw out that comment. Bob did make some excellent points, specifically when it comes to the fight scenes. Those were pretty bad at times.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
From everything I've seen, this looks like it has lower production values than an episode of Game of Thrones. That's not good for a movie this hyped and backed by a studio.

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
What Bob has said is pretty much the exact same criticism I have heard from all of the other reviews I've seen or read. I'm kinda dissapointed, in the movie that is.

Can't wait for cabin in the woods.

Symbio Joe

Dec 7, 2010
My first reaction "Oh Battle Royal for the west.". But I did not know it was targeted at younger female audiences. Thanks Bob for sitting through whatever they show you.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, after reading the books while bored (they are really short to some one with any sort of decent reading speed) this film was doomed from the outset since it had fuck all chance of being as actually brutal as it needed to be.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
I'm still on the fence about this one. I love the Battle Royale concept, but a bad movie is still a bad movie. Might watch it.

RickBloodaxe

Mar 1, 2011
I kind of distrust Bob when he calls a movie 'mediocre' and 'ordinary.' 1) He sees A LOT of movies as a critic so naturally he sees this stuff more than the ordinary viewer, so your 'ordinary' millage may vary. 2) He said 'Captain America' was one of the best Marvel movies ever, and that couldn't have been more boring and cliche.

Crimsanon

Feb 11, 2009
I'm gonna be completely honest: I saw this movie at midnight, and I'm probably going to go see it again with friends tonight.
I thoroughly enjoyed it, but Bob's review has given me a good dose of perspective.
It doesn't change my opinion, but it will encourage me to look at the film from a more objective angle.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Pretty much every other review I've seen for this has said it's amazing. Hopefully, I'll get to see it soon and can form my own opinion. Of course, I was pretty sure Bob wouldn't like this back before it came out. I'm sure Amazing Spider-Man will be the same way. I like critics I disagree with, but I hope everyone doesn't just blindly follow his opinion.

For a second take, I'd suggest HitFix or io9's review of the movie, don't just take Bob's word for it. I see that kind of thing way too much on his and Yahtzee's videos.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Im off to see this in about....an hour.

Maybe I shouldnt of watched this review, I'll be going into it with an expectation of crapiness now :(

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
I thought your review was funnier than usual, very ZP-ish. Do this more often.

As for the movie itself, I've read books, thought they were pretty good and I'm seeing it with my sister tomorrow. I hope I'll disagree with you, Bob. Fingers crossed.

Hoplon said:
Yeah, after reading the books while bored (they are really short to some one with any sort of decent reading speed) this film was doomed from the outset since it had fuck all chance of being as actually brutal as it needed to be.
I agree. That's the problem I have with age restriction for movies, games, books etcetera, it's false protection. If I was the producer, I would've told the director to keep the brutality, while still begging MPAA for a PG-13 rating. Because sometimes, minors need to witness the brutality our world has to offer.

I don't know if there's any scientific reports stating that children are psychologically harmed from witnessing sex, nudity, violence, gore or profanity. At least not if it's staged or simulated. So I can't really see any reason for the restrictions to still be present.

If anything, parents should be educated in how to present their kids to all the 'dangers' out there in the real world. Telling them kids why people kill, harm, hate and fornicate.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I tend to agree with Bob on movies 90% of the time, but when we disagree, we really disagree. Guess I'll find out on Sunday which way it will go. Though I suspect being a fan of the books, I might be more charitable.

CronoT said:
At least Eragon had the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy motif to fall back on. This is just an inferior copy of several much better ideas.
Most unintentionally hilarious thing I've read all day. Cheers.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
chaosyoshimage said:
Pretty much every other review I've seen for this has said it's amazing. Hopefully, I'll get to see it soon and can form my own opinion. Of course, I was pretty sure Bob wouldn't like this back before it came out. I'm sure Amazing Spider-Man will be the same way. I like critics I disagree with, but I hope everyone doesn't just blindly follow his opinion.

For a second take, I'd suggest HitFix or io9's review of the movie, don't just take Bob's word for it. I see that kind of thing way too much on his and Yahtzee's videos.
There's also Roger Ebert Americas most beloved film critic.
Mr. Ebert gave the film 3 stars, but if you read the review he seems more indifferent towards the movie which makes me wonder why he didn't give it 2 stars.