Escape to the Movies: The Hunger Games

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
Having read the books because I knew that it would take me all of ten minutes or so [/hyperbole], I feel like the setting has mild potential, but this is definitely going to be a "rent" movie, rather than a "shell out large numbers of my dollars at a theater" movie. Now if you want to start adapting more books for the big screen, I'd be much happier with either the Dresden Files or Snow Crash. Just saying.

Mr_Jellyfish

Jan 11, 2011
That's too bad, not knowing anything about the source material, I was hoping this would be good! But for fans of the film who feel the need to punish Bob for his honesty, remember it is just his opinion! And the inevitable rubbishness of The Avengers will be punishment enough!

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
artanis_neravar said:
canadamus_prime said:
PunkRex said:
canadamus_prime said:
Oh boy, it's going to be Eragorn all over again.
Oh christ! I hated that film, my sister enjoyed the books and the slowly deteriorating look on her face as that bloody movie went on depressed the hell out of me. I mean the guy had a two week long swordsmanship course and gained the skill to leap off a swooping dragon, land on a firey bat demon and slay the warlock guy riding it... I mean bloody hell I just about learn't how to use photoshop in three weeks!

I actually watched the Nostalgia Chick reveiw for this last night and she seemed to enjoy it although I suppose shes more in its target demographic. Its good to have variety.

Catfish Jellybean, I wee'd a little Bob! Expect my cleaning bill.
I actually liked the Eragorn film, granted I have never read the books. No, it's the backlash from the fans that annoyed the living fuck out of me.
artanis_neravar said:
canadamus_prime said:
Not true, the movie followed the books extremely well.
O Rly?
Hunger Games not Eragon. And yes Hunger Games followed the book better than any other movie adaption I can think of
I know which one you meant. Do you really think that matters? I still foresee torrents of outraged fans decrying it because it didn't live up to their personal (and extremely outrageous) expectations.
Yes, it does matter, because the fans actually like it.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
The running man! Thanks, i have been trying to remember the name of the film for a month :D

This movie? Mhee, i couldn't care less about it after seeing the review.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
canadamus_prime said:
artanis_neravar said:
canadamus_prime said:
PunkRex said:
canadamus_prime said:
Oh christ! I hated that film, my sister enjoyed the books and the slowly deteriorating look on her face as that bloody movie went on depressed the hell out of me. I mean the guy had a two week long swordsmanship course and gained the skill to leap off a swooping dragon, land on a firey bat demon and slay the warlock guy riding it... I mean bloody hell I just about learn't how to use photoshop in three weeks!

I actually watched the Nostalgia Chick reveiw for this last night and she seemed to enjoy it although I suppose shes more in its target demographic. Its good to have variety.

I actually liked the Eragorn film, granted I have never read the books. No, it's the backlash from the fans that annoyed the living fuck out of me.
artanis_neravar said:
canadamus_prime said:
O Rly?
Hunger Games not Eragon. And yes Hunger Games followed the book better than any other movie adaption I can think of
I know which one you meant. Do you really think that matters? I still foresee torrents of outraged fans decrying it because it didn't live up to their personal (and extremely outrageous) expectations.
I repeat, o rly?

headphonegirl

The Troll under the bridge
Oct 19, 2009
Oh good, that means I don't have to go see it to tell me that it's no better than the books. Don't get me wrong the series has some good ideas, but I just couldn't get into them, they read like a piece of fanfiction. A good piece , but fan fiction none the less.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
artanis_neravar said:
canadamus_prime said:
artanis_neravar said:
canadamus_prime said:
PunkRex said:
canadamus_prime said:

artanis_neravar said:
canadamus_prime said:
O Rly?
I repeat, o rly?
Yes they did, my source? The 5 full movie theaters of fans at midnight last night who all loved it, the 19.7 million dollars it made last night and the 95% Rotten Tomatoes Audience Score.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
I saw it last night at midnight and I pretty much have the same feelings about it. The biggest deal breaker for me when it came to this movie was the editing. I haven't seen such poor camera work in a fight scene since Batman Begins.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
canadamus_prime said:
artanis_neravar said:
canadamus_prime said:
artanis_neravar said:
canadamus_prime said:
PunkRex said:
canadamus_prime said:

artanis_neravar said:
canadamus_prime said:
O Rly?
I repeat, o rly?
Yes they did, my source? The 5 full movie theaters of fans at midnight last night who all loved it, the 19.7 million dollars it made last night and the 95% Rotten Tomatoes Audience Score.
Well colour me surprised. Of course those numbers still don't discount the possibility for Internet hate.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
artanis_neravar said:
canadamus_prime said:
artanis_neravar said:
canadamus_prime said:
artanis_neravar said:
canadamus_prime said:
PunkRex said:
canadamus_prime said:

artanis_neravar said:
canadamus_prime said:
O Rly?
I repeat, o rly?
Well colour me surprised. Of course those numbers still don't discount the possibility for Internet hate.
That's true, there will be some hate just like everything

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
My only problem with the review is he is critisizing things that couldn't be changed, which makes less interested in the review. If he wants to critisize the source material, he probably should read it. I am going to see it with a group next weekend. I am not the core audience, but I don't mind, and I read the books. Names, places, concepts, are all driven from the books. I like name changes, heck it is FICTION, and it's an American movie, so I am happy they spoke English. Did you critisize Star wars for Han, Obi Wan, Mace, when they all spoke "English?" Oh and the setting, I may be be biased, I liked it, oh ya, it was filmed next to me.. haha.. I almost was in it, actually I could be in it, who knows..

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Was MovieBob playing Yahtzee with Katniss Bella Potter's name?!
That's hella funny.

OT:
It's production value didn't look that bad in the comercials.
I think I'm going to let myself dragged into seeing this movie.

OOT:
It seems like using the "stupid evil" critique doesn't mean anything anymore, especial when we had a president (cough cough Bush cough cough) who described our 3rd world enemies in an unjustifiable war, "The axis of evil".

moviedork

Mar 25, 2011
Whytewulf said:
My only problem with the review is he is critisizing things that couldn't be changed, which makes less interested in the review. If he wants to critisize the source material, he probably should read it.
Some things in books or comics don't translate well on the big screen, so changes should be made to make it more feasible for the average movie going audience who hasn't read the books. As long as it keeps the main themes of the story and it's characters, than changes should be welcome.

Feb 9, 2011
Not surprised to hear it wasn't very good. There's a few people at my work who won't shut up about the books, but I don't know much about it to be honest. Looks like something I won't pay much attention to. Thanks for the review, Bob.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Looks like I'm going to go watch it because I'm a sheep. But seriously, this isn't even going to be retarded? Just boring?

I feel the need to compare my expectations of it to Twilight, which went out of its way to be mind-bogglingly stupid and to dare its male and/or rational audience members to tell its fans how ridiculously those movies suck. But all we get here is a less interesting Harry Potter? Gah. As I said, I have been won over by advertising like a lot of other people who will see this movie (unless there's anything better out this weekend), so take heart that the fall of western civilization has long since occurred.

Edit: Yep. That was dull. Not interesting, not unintentionally bad. The 'wacky' parts weren't very wacky and the Truman Show elements seemed forced and uninspired. The forest scenes were kinda fun when the kids weren't mooning over each other, but that's about ten minutes of the movie overall.

stickmangrit

May 30, 2008
Whytewulf said:
My only problem with the review is he is critisizing things that couldn't be changed, which makes less interested in the review. If he wants to critisize the source material, he probably should read it.
thing is, the things he's criticizing were major problems in the book too. opening up the world beyond Kats perspective was something the story definitely needed, and without those additions there is absolutely no excuse for this movie being 2 1/2 HOURS while still managing to be impenetrable to non-fans.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I think that all the success stories of books becoming movies have led producers to think they can just churn out a licensed movies and assume people will watch it. And they will, partly cuz that's the way it's always been, and partly because there have been so many good licensed movies lately.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Considering the book itself loved a first person perspective (this doesn't transfer to movies well and even Fight Club had to work around this to achieve the same impact the book had) that really put an emphasis on how the not very talkative protagonist saw everything around her in her thoughts, and the extreme brutality of it all, I never really thought this movie could turn out that great.

Still, to hear that it turned out THIS badly is a bit sad, as the books were an enjoyable (if not too fulfilling) read.