Escape to the Movies: The Hunger Games

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
theSteamSupported said:
If I was the producer, I would've told the director to keep the brutality, while still begging MPAA for a PG-13 rating. Because sometimes, minors need to witness the brutality our world has to offer.
That didn't really work out for the guys who made the documentary "Bully". It got and R Rating because apparently the profanity, violence, and torture that kids experience every day is too brutal for their innocent minds to handle. -facepalm-

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
CommanderKirov said:
Gilhelmi said:
Here lies the MovieBob.

OT: I am sad too hear that the movie did not live up to the books. I honestly think that the books are going to be the next great 1984
Whatever you ever say about anything ever. Do not compare The Hunger Games to George Orwell's work. It's like calling Mayer the Stoker of this generation.

And on the topic of movie, yeah I think I'll be better off with watching the Blue-Ray release of Battle Royale.
I like Gorge Orwell, he was brilliant. But the Hunger Games is the best book too come out, for this genre, in many many years.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Oh, sure, The Grey's a no-no, but this they'll show in my local cinema.
Anyway, a word on Cabin in the Woods. First of all the poster looked really interesting, but then when I started watching the trailer I thought: "Oh, this is just another generic horror movie." Then I saw the techno-fence thing and the secret lab and I was kind of intrigued. But what really hit it home for me was this:

"Hey, we should split up," says the first guy.
"Good idea," says the second guy.
*Awkward pause*
"Really?!" says the third guy.

I'm not saying that the entire movie has to be a parody of the horror genre to be good, but a nice little line like that sure shows refinement in the writing. So I took a look at who the writer was and found out that it was co-written by Joss Whedon, the same guy who wrote the screenplays for Toy Story and The Avengers, which is probably one of the reasons why MovieBob is all excited about this one.
So, yeah, sciency setting and good writing, two things horror movies never have enough of in my opinion, so this is definately one to keep an eye out for.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Darren716 said:
I am so glad that this movie ended up theway it did because it renforces my theory that when somthing gets as popular as this before it's release it will be a dissapointment. Also I'm glad that I'll be able to gloat to my friends who went to see this movie and thought it was going to be the second coming about me judging a movie correctly before it was even released.
Translation: I'm annoyingly cynical, and I find great pleasure when other people are dissapointed by things that they anticipate. One of my favorite hobbies is judging a popular movie as stupid because it attracts a large audience, and then laughing at all of my friends that I deem inferior because they were excited for it. This makes me feel very good about myself even though I accomplished nothing by doing so.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Zenron said:
I would like to hope that this will be a time where I actually think moviebob is wrong about a film, but that generally doesn't happen that often.
-cough cough- GI JOE -cough cough-

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
SwimmingRock said:
So had no idea what this movie was even supposed to be about (well done, marketing campaign) and now that I know, I really don't care. Also, having a main character called Katniss is just begging people to call her Catpiss. Seriously, I couldn't stop thinking that throughout the video.

Just checked Cabin in the Woods trailer and it looks awful, but I'll keep an eye on it since you insist it's worth it. I hope you're right. I see the potential for it not sucking, but I'm a bit cynical about... umm... everything nowadays.
Yeah, I thought the same thing at first, but between it having the whole "science lab experimenting on young adults" and it being written by Joss Whedon, I can see how it deserves a chance. After all, there have been good American horror movies. They're few and far between, true, but they do exist.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Would've been great if they filmed it in my home county slightly above its filming location. Lots of mountains and streams instead of generic forest which constitutes most of Western North Carolina.

As for the actual movie if you like it just go see it; for older people who've seen Running Man, Roller Ball, and Battle Royale save your money...

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
CommanderKirov said:
Gilhelmi said:
Here lies the MovieBob.

OT: I am sad too hear that the movie did not live up to the books. I honestly think that the books are going to be the next great 1984
Whatever you ever say about anything ever. Do not compare The Hunger Games to George Orwell's work. It's like calling Mayer the Stoker of this generation.

And on the topic of movie, yeah I think I'll be better off with watching the Blue-Ray release of Battle Royale.
If only because Beat Takeshi is completely AWESOME

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Dangit2019 said:
Darren716 said:
I am so glad that this movie ended up theway it did because it renforces my theory that when somthing gets as popular as this before it's release it will be a dissapointment. Also I'm glad that I'll be able to gloat to my friends who went to see this movie and thought it was going to be the second coming about me judging a movie correctly before it was even released.
Translation: I'm annoyingly cynical, and I find great pleasure when other people are dissapointed by things that they anticipate. One of my favorite hobbies is judging a popular movie as stupid because it attracts a large audience, and then laughing at all of my friends that I deem inferior because they were excited for it. This makes me feel very good about myself even though I accomplished nothing by doing so.
My god your right I just realised how mush an asshole I must seem to people, I quess I'm just too cynical because I feel that I'm better than a majority of the people I see everyday who seem to be going no where. Thanks for the quote it made me have a change of heart so that I won't be so quick to judge somthing because of how popular it is.

Venoregard

Jul 3, 2011
From other reviews I've listened to, it seems to be a very reader-targeted movie. I haven't seen the movie (yet,) and I'm personally starting the 3rd book, and although the plot does seem interesting and has some original satirical themes, it doesn't seem to thrill me as much as most people. This is most likely due to the fact that although Katniss is a strong protagonist in the trilogy, she's always spiteful, cynical, and moody, or at least she is to me. And yeah, I would be too if I was a starving child that had to hunt all my food and constantly break the law of a tyrannical government regime just to survive, and while contending in the hunger games got to witness the indulgence of the "1%" in the Capitol. But the point still stands, for me, she's hard to like sometimes.

As far as the plot not moving anywhere in the first movie/book, they both seem to suffer from "First installment syndrome," in which the first installment of any sci-fi or fantasy series or franchise has to consist mostly of, if not all of, setting up the mythos, tone, setting, etc. It needs time to sink in as the "norm" of whatever universe the series is for, before the next installment in which plot elements start to move in more quickly and heavily. Sometimes it's a necessary evil so the plot elements can actually feel like they matter, but you can still feel it going on in that first installment that just explains how everything works, especially in young adult series' such as the Hunger Games, which can have slower pacing, lighter plots, etc. As opposed to adult-targeted series.

Creatural

Nov 19, 2009
I unfortunately cannot say I'm terribly surprised by this. As soon as a friend of mine told me what the Tracker Jacker and Mutt scenes were like I knew it wouldn't be as good as the book and I'd had my doubts they'd change what they needed to make the book work well as a movie (the book is in first person, so that's probably why the movie stuck to Katniss a lot instead of switching sensibly to other view points like it should have for a movie transition).

If anyone here is interested in this type of story I'd suggest reading the books instead of the movie. The books are not perfect, but they're entertaining in their own way and you'll definitely get better scenes and explanations than the movie's provided.

And for the fans of the series, guys, they didn't even explain the mockingjay well enough for my friend to understand why it was such a big deal for Katniss to have that pin in the movie. Don't go in expecting something that's well done.

Venoregard

Jul 3, 2011
ShadowStar42 said:
i64ever said:
Not that it makes them right, but all the plot holes Movie Bob points out are VERY true to the book. The bad guys are all shallow and foppish. The hunger games "stadium" is never explained well, and the bad guys DO make disasters happen out of thin air. The 1st book doesn't give any visuals of the rebellion happening in the districts.
To be fair though we're dealing with a book with a non-omniscient narrator. They don't explain the Capitol society because our pov character doesn't understand Capitol society. The tech isn't explained because it's a mystery to the character as well. I'd personally much rather have sci-fi that doesn't explain something than that does in some absurd way (like a solar system with dozens of habitable worlds in Firefly or the Ansible in dozens of sci-fi stories.
^^^^^ This. In the following books the non-omniscience of Katniss in the books comes to serve as a plot point.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Thanks for the shout-out to Battle Royal, that's the only thing I was thinking the entire review. Already been done better and more interestingly.

Also, the protagonist's name is one letter off Katpiss. I can't see that being a big naming trend in the future.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
The second that I noticed that the majority of fans were young girls I knew that this was going to be another Twilight-esque novel/movie thing.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Bob thinks it's bad... Does that mean it's a good movie?

Haha, there's some humor relevant to current events...

Anywhoosiers, It looks alright I guess. I've heard some really good things about the books, and in the scheme of things, The Harry Potter movies were also pretty average if you hadn't read the books. I've heard that they're quick reads, so I might pick them up before it hits cheapy theaters.