Escape to the Movies: The Interview - This Is What We're All Getting Worked Up Over?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Interview - This Is What We're All Getting Worked Up Over?

The Interview is a decent enough comedy, but it's going to be remembered as an oddity in years to come.

Watch Video

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I don't see what was so good about the first Woman in Black or plot elements that warranted a sequel. That ending was just silly.

Mar 15, 2012
The reason North Korea got up in arms over the Interview becomes a lot more obvious when you realize a bunch of their leadership was due to be reported to the international criminal court about now. Basically North Korea had two choices, it could be in the news because a bunch of its leaders had committed all manner of crimes, or it could be in the news for making a strop over a middle of the road Seth Rogan vehicle.

It's propaganda division, which is probably the best in the world, picked the second.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Watched it. Was amused. That's about all I can say about it.. I honestly don't see the big deal with it. Like many have said when this whole thing began, there have been more controversial movies made regarding world leaders than this..

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Before even watching the video: You're really surprised the movie is B grade at best?

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Yeah, The Interview won't bring North Korea to it's knees, but it definitely served it's purpose as a comedy. It was funny and was a pretty good movie. Not really much more to say, I liked it.

warfjm

Nov 14, 2007
Saw it last night. Thought it was pretty funny. That's about it. It wasn't a game changing comedy or anything but it was pretty funny.

Tanneseph

May 2, 2011
It absolutely kills me that this movie has become the.... symbol?.... that it has. It's goofy low-brow, fine for people into that sort of thing, but now it's been elevated into some sort of blazing sign of Freedom or something. In a just world, it would come out, some fans would enjoy it, and then it would just freaking disappear.

Thanks for making that sentiment more official than I could, MovieBob.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Tanneseph said:
It absolutely kills me that this movie has become the.... symbol?.... that it has. It's goofy low-brow, fine for people into that sort of thing, but now it's been elevated into some sort of blazing sign of Freedom or something. In a just world, it would come out, some fans would enjoy it, and then it would just freaking disappear.

Thanks for making that sentiment more official than I could, MovieBob.
Its not like they had anything to do with it, or even the message.

The reaction was to the trailers and what the movie was about, not exactly what the movie was. The movie could have been even shittier with just 2 hours of both characters punching Kim Jong Un in the face or an actually good comedy with a good message but that doesnt matter since the whole "worked up" thing was about a comedy movie that had North Korea as its subject matter facing censorship.

Halamadan

Jun 13, 2010
The Interview: ?[W]hat amounts to a longish version of a Family Guy cutaway . . . .?

That was an excellent, and funny, way to describe the movie, and I could totally see Family Guy doing something like that.

Thanks MovieBob for your witty cultural critique!

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
God damnit, Bobby.

The Interview should succeed only to discourage this kind of behavior from other organizations and nation states. However, it may have been an inside job, so that part might be moot. Still if North Korea did hack do they hilariously failed to accomplish what they set out to do. This movie has garnered more attention than it would of normally received and now it's a hot black market commodity in the North Korean black market. I'll take whatever lumps on a dictatorship can get. Also, James Franco's a creep.

That boy ain't right.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
It's not the film itself but the principle of the whole fiasco of why it's a big deal; a company in America backing down from a vague email threat about a foreign country retaliating because it doesn't like the film they've made and are going to show. The film itself is garbage (haven't seen it but I can accurately guess what's going to be garbage when it's as obvious as this) but you create a situation like this, ya, it's gonna reek some havoc. Same thing happened years ago when Viacom censored Kyle's entire end speech from their 200th episode explaining the whole censorship thing with moohammand. It's also not surprising that Sony can't seem to make a good movie these days.