Escape to the Movies: The Kings Speech

Jeffro Tull

Sep 27, 2010
yeah there's always one or two of these movies. The funny thing is that they all seem to fall in the realm of just being ok in the long run. The academy has always been a type of cool kids club that makes very safe choices with very well known actors/ directors. Every once in a while you get your oddball nominations though, but even then they usually get looked over.

EmilShmiengura

Feb 17, 2009
Also another sure-fire oscar topics: sturggle against any form of discrimination (wich for me belongs in day to day life, sometimes actions actually spek louder then some film).
You people really think The Social Network is the best movie of the last year??? Are you serious?! What next, MySpace the trilogy? Minecraft The Movie?! Probably on somebody's to do list in Hollywood Steve Jobs' biography has just moved up a cupple of places.

Jeffro Tull

Sep 27, 2010
"I enjoyed the Kings Speech, but I do agree that it ticks all the check marks for Oscar material. However, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Who doesn't like WWII? :D

And to be fair to make a movie that Bob likes it doesn't have to be good either just different than the run of the mill, some sort of nod to geekish past times, and best of all not well received by the mainstream audience..."

lol... burn

Akexi

May 15, 2008
Damn, that does sum up why that movie ran away with awards.

Also, Henry the Eighth as Superman. Potential is at least there.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Bob sounds a little miffed.

A little.
Indeed, I think someone's a bit upset Social Network might not clean house at the Oscars. Doesn't really matter anyway, both movies will be forgotten in short order like most big Oscar contenders/winners are.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I don't know why but "Oscar like much much!" made me laugh so hard I had to stop the video.

This video is 100% true.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Bob, you've perfectly summed up why I never put any stock in the Academy Awards.

spiffleh

Jul 12, 2010
Aw damn. I went to see it last night and checked to see if you had reviewed it. Oh well. Enjoyable film but I don't think either Colin Firth or Geoffry Rush should get an Oscar. Well acted but Rush was playing the same role he always plays and Colin Firth was pandering to the 'some form of disability' field.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Peter Pottorff said:
Nice video Bob but, I really liked the King's Speech though you're a critic and I'm a high school student.
So?

OT: Geoffrey Rush is Australian.

Fail review, etc.

(Also, interesting review.)

theamazingbean

Dec 29, 2009
3:42, that picture, there is no way to look dignified in full Napoleonic regalia while carrying a Parkerized steel and polymer bullpup rifle. It just doesn't work. Get yourself a nice walnut-covered firearm for parade. Doesn't England have any Lee-Enfields in a bunker somewhere?

Good video though.

EvilCheesecake

Mar 3, 2010
Films have benefits beyond artistic merit, most notably entertainment value. Scott Pilgrim was hugely entertaining and, I thought, full of artistic merit, but I can see how other generations could fail to relate. I've yet to see The Social Network but would assume similar things about it.

This film is the exact opposite, and a lot of what Bob said about this is laughably true. While it might be true that different people enjoy different types of movie, the Academy's electorate should reflect this so that it's not always the most artistic movie that takes the award.

greygelgoog

Dec 29, 2007
You know, I've stopped watching The Big Picture. I do nothing but complain at GameOverthinker. But, damn it, if Bob and I don't seem to agree about the Academy Circle Jerk. Considering Oscar's declining ratings on television, I think this has become pretty common knowledge at this point. Still, it needed to be said.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
I completely lost all trust for the Oscars when they ignored Tron: Legacy's soundtrack. Now, this explains why.

If they don't like sci-fi, then they can go screw themselves, to be honest. Sci-fi is my favourite genre by far. I hate it when people snub things of genres they don't like from receiving the awards they deserve.

Futurenerd

The Man With the Golden Bun
Oct 28, 2009
I completely agree with everything you said about the oscars, but The King's Speech was one of the best movie's I've seen in a LONG TIME.

Stephanos132

Sep 7, 2009
So, a self-congratulatory awards ceremony is a load of bullshite?

Huh, who'd have thought it? /sarcasm

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I can't help but feeling a little sorry for The King's Speech, it's become the new thing to hate on despite not doing anything wrong :-/

CloudKiller

Rather Irritated Mage
Jun 30, 2008
Henry Cavill's playing Superman? Well that's sorta good news, he's quite good in The Tudors.

Anyone else think it's strange that both Batman and Superman are played by British actors?