Escape to the Movies: The Last Airbender

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Last Airbender

This week MovieBob reviews M. Night Shyamalan's vision of the popular Nickelodeon franchise, Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Watch Video

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I liked The Village...A lot, actually. Even the ending.

Adored Signs, Unbreakable, and Sixth Sense.

But hated Lady. And The Happening.

I'll go see this. I liked more of his work than I hated, at least.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Interesting! This might end up on my Netflix queue after the animated series.

Which... I haven't seen yet.

*ducks incoming arrows of flame*

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
That's too bad. The trailers looked so awesome, I kind of wanted this to be good.

Though, I think Shyamalan's career tanked with Signs tbh. I mean,

What kind of idiotic alien race that just so happens to have a deadly allergy to water lands on a planet that not only is more than 60% water, but the shit falls from the sky!!

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
I don't watch many of these videos but I thought it was a great and helpful review. The movie seems like a rental at best. Ten minutes of cool doesn't warrant 20 bucks.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Sadly, I never got around to watching Avatar: The Last Airbender. The T.V series I mean. The show came out around the time where my parents decided to stop paying for Cable T.V and thus I missed it. I'm not sure if this will be a good thing or a bad thing when going in to see this movie. In one hand, I don't know the characters, the story or the mythos behind the series and I may be confused by it all. In the other hand, I've not watched the series and I've not really been hyped up about it so I doubt I could get let down by the movie if it doesn't perfectly translate the shows plot on to the big screen.

I have enjoyed Shyamalans first three movies and Unbreakable is high on my top ten list, perfectly deconstructing the super hero genre by playing it so plausibly straight. Even Signs had me shitting in my pants when I first watched it as I missed a lot of the hype and I didn't know all that much about the aliens... I didn't even think they'd appear in the movie and that the film would try and pass it all off as an elaborate hoaks.

Sadly Sixth Sense didn't have the same impact on me. I didn't watch it when it first came out, I picked it up much later. By the time I'd picked it up, the movie had been parodied to the point where the ending meant nothing to me and I couldn't enjoy the movie. Though the film is still good on it's own merit and it's not fair for me to take points away because of the reaction of the media.

I think I'll check Airbender out and see how it goes. Could do with having another trip to the cinema... I'll drag my cousin with me again.
meganmeave said:
That's too bad. The trailers looked so awesome, I kind of wanted this to be good.

Though, I think Shyamalan's career tanked with Signs tbh. I mean,

What kind of idiotic alien race that just so happens to have a deadly allergy to water lands on a planet that not only is more than 60% water, but the shit falls from the sky!!
That a Distressed Watcher reference I sense?.

Johnny Cain

Apr 18, 2010
I actually quite liked this movie. I'm not sure if my experience would be different were I at all familiar with the animated series, but I worked out one simple way to ensure your enjoyment:

Whether you know the backstory, liked the animated series or not, just don't take the movie too seriously. Bob spoke the truth, it's well made and looks and sounds awesome. If you go see just go with an open mind and have some fun!

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
khaimera said:
I don't watch many of these videos but I thought it was a great and helpful review. The movie seems like a rental at best. Ten minutes of cool doesn't warrant 20 bucks.
Holy hell it costs a lot for you to go see a movie. I typically have to shell out seven to eight bucks (matinee price) tops.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Never saw Unbreakable, but The Sixth Sense and Signs were good. After The Village, I quit watching hit movies...

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
I have to say, it's a lot better than Twilight Eclipse. I loved the Nickelodean cartoon series but I guess this movie qualifies as a small pass.

Mr. Shyamalan is kinda like the great John Hughes. Both were great successful with their movies and midway, they piss their potential away.

By the way, I believe that Mr. Shyamalan will also create the Last Airbender series much like the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

PHorensics

Jul 1, 2010
well now i have no clue if I want to see this movie now... :/

At first I really didn't want to see it, but after this i am not so sure...

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
Hey, a double-dose of MovieBob!
I'll be honest, I never watched the series this movie is known for, so I was shocked when I saw the trailer and it looked decent. But, if it's just too slow to start, then I guess I won't see the movie adaptation.
But The Daily Show's Aasiv Manvi does a good job in a serious role? Wow... you're right, who'd have thunk it?

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
Oooh man.

The animated series was a total surprise to me. I'm a bit older than the intended audience but when some friends of mine insisted, I gave it a shot and was surprised by how exceptional it was--especially for a kids series (where most kids' shows just suck).

So while I didn't want to get my hopes up, I was hoping M. Night Shamalamadingdong would come back with something workable.

I would still like to see it but I know it'll be a bit salty.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I'm confused now...

I was going to see it because it seemed like shit and Ebert gave it half a star, but now I might go see it because there's a chance that it might entertain me...

I can't make up my mind! See it because I want to rag on it or see it because I want to enjoy it...

THE ONLY WAY TO ANSWER THE QUESTION IS TO GO SEE IT!

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
Zeromaeus said:
khaimera said:
Holy hell it costs a lot for you to go see a movie. I typically have to shell out seven to eight bucks (matinee price) tops.
It so does. I'd have to take the wife, so that another ticket. Then so it can be called a date so that she doesn't get upset and say "we never go out and do anything" we have to go at night. Nine dollars a ticket plus a soda, way too expensive.

PS. when she complains, I just suggest playing more video games, works half of the time :p

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
I liked The Village...A lot, actually. Even the ending.
You're not the only one. I really enjoyed that movie.
The biggest 'WHAT?' part of that movie for me wasn't that they were in modern times, but that they opted to continue the lie. That is what really made my head explode about the ending. Plus Adrian Brody did such an awesome job. I love that guy.

This review seems right one with what I was thinking about the movie would be like.
Pretty, entertaining action scenes, disappointment in the plot and narrative.

And you know what? For me: Those movies have a place.
Ong Bak: Thai Warrior, for example, is a terrible film.
The acting is awful, the story completely unbelievable, and the character's growth is that of an after-school special in summer-time. Just bad. However, the action sequences and stunts make it all up, and they are only half the movie. I own the film, and watch it form time to time. It's not even close to my top 100 list of favourite films, but it has a place in my DVD collection. I can see this movie being the same.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
It probably should be noted that it's not worthing bothering with 3D, it was shoehorned in like Clash of the Titans.