Escape to the Movies: The Last Airbender

Grounogeos

Mar 20, 2009
I haven't seen the movie yet, so I kinda need to know... Does it cover the entire series in one sitting, or is it only part of the story?

If it covers the whole thing, then they might've been able to do a much better job by making this movie cover season 1, then having 2 more to cover the next seasons.

daedrick

Jul 23, 2008
Signs a good movie? What the fuck are you insane? Thats on par with war of the world which is also a bad movie, but at least in war of the world we have some eye candy.

Retarded movie, with more than retarded aliens. Its funny how in every movies aliens are much much more stupid than humans.

''Durh durh, lets attack the planet naked, with out bare claw... and if it rain well we all going to burn, but w/e lets do it anyway.''

Bad movie is bad.

Tarik94

Sep 13, 2008
What's so bad about a movie critic getting fed to a monster in a movie? That just ads up a special irony and something new to feed the audience.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Whoa.. Bob.. did you see this movie? Ok I'll give you that the cinematography and costumes are gorgeous. But, the fight scenes are slow and boring, which is accented by the shitty special effects that give what should be hard, concussive shots to the body almost no visual impact. All the air effects look like a gentle breeze.

The actors are atrocious all around with the exception of Zuko and maybe his uncle. Interesting? No, boring as watching mud? Yes.

Also, what exposition are you hearing? No one explains anything, they just talk and glance over MAJOR EVENTS that we don't get to see. There's huge plot holes because they don't give any exposition at all. You have almost no clue what is going on (or what went on) half the time. Take the major climax. The fire nation plans to kill the moon spirit so Asif Mandvi kills a fish.... Okay? Yeah, anyone who's a fan of the show will know that fish is the moon spirit and anyone who's been paying REAL close attention to the most boring movie of the decade will know that fish is the moon spirit. But, no one ever says it is directly. There's hints, sure, but it's never made clear. It is just assumed you made the connection.

Also, the editing, dear god the editing. This movie must have been at least an hour longer and was hacked to shit to cut it down to 100minutes. Instead of heart-racing battles we get a couple sentences that amount to "Hey remember when we fought all those people, that was something wasn't it?"

Oh, and this movie wont fix M. Night's career; it will bury it and piss on the grave. This movie cost what.. $150million? It's getting the worst reviews from fans and critics I've seen in a decade. And there sure as hell wont be a sequel to this and if M.Night sells his soul to the devil to get a shot at the Book of Earth, I pray to god he gets an entirely new cast. I don't say that because of the white-washing, I frankly don't care about that, but these kids can't fucking act AT ALL. They make Anakin Skywalker look like Orson Welles.

Honestly, I hate the twilight series, but I'd rather watch Eclipse just so I could laugh at it.

P.S. The first shot you get of the Princess from behind.. her hair has the profile of a giant penis. Yes. This movie has a giant cock in the middle of a big sweeping shot.

roman161

Dec 19, 2008
To start: this critic sucks. I clicked this video review out of mistake. I continued to watch this video expecting to see a scathing review of the this shitfest of a movie, not a biography of the director. I can guarantee I won't watch another one of this series. That out of the way...
To put it simply: This movie sucked. Don't try to redeem it with "Well it was a hard series portray in a movie!" I pay to go to see movies for entertainment, not to appreciate how much work the director put into framing each shot.

If you want to read a decent review: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45640

Most people go to Escapist Magazine for Zero Punctuation.

Jonathan Wingo

Mar 30, 2010
I wouldn't even give it a shot. The movie just was too bad. The second it was over, I broke my 3d glasses, threw them on the floor, and stormed out of the theater. I have never done that before, but this movie was absolutely horrible and I hope it doesn't make enough for Shyamalan to finish the trilogy. Horrible acting, no character development, extremely choppy story, and all around stupidity. REALLY!
When I saw a ton of earth benders being imprisoned by EARTH yet they were too pathetic to try to take on the fire nation troops, who I believe they outnumbered, on their own when they are surrounded by their freaking element!
Then when the moon spirit dies, the fire nation starts beating the hell out of the water tribe, and when it revives, instead of water bending the hell out of the fire nation, they get into fucking FIST FIGHTS! They could have done that without the moon!!!!

This was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I have no real opinion on the movie itself as my interest level in seeing it both before and after this review is right about 0. What I do find interesting is that there seems to be a decently sized contingent who actually feel this is a bad review because it doesn't bash the movie hard enough. Usually, it's the other way around.

V Gray

Feb 13, 2010
I know it wouldn't work, for just that reason, plus the character interactions of the tv series was one of the best parts, it just wouldn't be the same thing with out it.

all in all as a fan of the series I dont really care. A side from a few small nit picks, the cartoon was perfect and it never needed a live action movie.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
matt87_50 said:
omg wtf!? how could it have been that hard to explain? FFS! THEY EXPLAIN THE WHOLE PREMISE OF THE ENTIRE SERIES IN THE 30 SECOND OPENING CREDITS OF EACH EPISODE!!!

I mean, I'll be the first to say that Avatar the last air bender was one of the most compact shows I've ever seen. like I can't think of a single ep I would consider a "filler ep" but too bad! so that just means you have to ignore some bits completely! They do it all the time! how many times have you heard "oh the book was better, they completely skipped this and that from the book" it HAS to be done!

It is such a shame to here what should have been an awesome film and a beginning to an awesome franchise ruined by some technical mistake like that.
The biggest problem I had with this movie is that it covered too much. He should've fixed the intro to be more like the cartoon and devided this up into six movies rather than three. Book 1 Chapter 1. Heck, it was like that in the series too with most major plot point climaxes happening at the middle and end of each book. Blue Spirit(Or the Winter Solstice, take your pick), Siege of the North, Great Library, Siege on the Earth Kingdom, Day of Black Sun, & Day of the Comet all would have made great climatic endings to each individual movie. Instead this movies shortening and laughable length results in the Blue Spirit fight and Siege of the North both getting glossed over while the Winter Solstice not even happening instead its details getting crammed as exposition into other arcs.

As an aside, M. Night Shyamalan's three strikes was Signs, The Village, and The Happening for me. Lady in the Water wasn't that bad even if you don't like him self-insert fanficing himself to be a Mary Sue. For me it was still a cute adult fairytale and way better than Signs.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
i have never raged so hard at a movie my entire life. what m knight shyamalalaamala did to this film is unforgivable.

IridRadiant

May 31, 2008
Starwarsgeek had it closest, IMO. I like the way you review movies, MovieBob, but I'm finding I disagree with you more and more. I am a fan of the show, but I did not automatically hate the movie as so many others did.

The script was the worst part of the movie. MNS seemed allergic to lifting lines directly from the successful cartoon known for its excellent dialogue and character development. I haven't seen any of his other films, so I can't say about the state of his career.

Why did they push the timeline back to 3 years instead of 3 seasons?

Most of the actors deliveries were stilted and almost mechanical, except Aang's martial arts. You could really tell when Aang and Katara were practicing side by side who was the true martial artist and who was faking it. I couldn't care less about 'racebending', only quality of acting.

Sokka's character was consistent with the first couple of episodes (where he was overprotective of Katara on their dad's request) and the last couple of episodes (where he was smitten with Yue). Whereas the cartoon played his seriousness for sarcastic laughs ,later picking up the verbal comedy, the movie tried playing it straight where it fell over on its face.
Katara's character was completely gutted. Half of Sokka's lines (about 3/4 in the first half) and Aang's big hope speech should have been hers. She doesn't even really step up and introduce herself until she fights Zuko near the end.
Zuko's character was pretty close. He was really only missing the familial soft spot for Iroh.
Aang's character was emo instead of childish. What is it with the entertainment industry making EVERYTHING emo? He came closest when he just entered the southern Air Temple and pretended everyone was hiding from him.
Iroh's character seemed closer to Professor Zhang's than Mako's Iroh. He lacked subtlety, humility, and humor.
Zhao's character lacked subtlety, anger, and impatience. And, I hated that almost squeaky high voice and the circumstances of his demise - where was Aang's giant spirit fish-monster??
Ozai's presence was unnecessary, not to mention his dialogue probably the lamest in the movie; how in the world did Zhao travel that fast to visit twice and still stage the invasion?
Appa was about a size category too small with a mouth 2 sizes too small. Momo was there: that was about it.

Much of the martial arts action seemed conserved to offset them as special, which I feel was a waste for an action movie. I also agree with the others that there was too much time wasted 'prepping' the bending with elongated motions. I agree with the sentiment that imprisoning earthbenders anywhere but an iron rig was stupid. The special effects were nice, but - to quote Yahtzee - what isn't these days? I don't really blame MNS for standardizing firebending to really let Iroh intimidate the way he did, but I also don't think it was that necessary as the cartoon had an awesomeness analogue to offset elite firebenders from the standard army mooks - just ask Mako's Iroh why he was known as "The Dragon of the West". The costumes may have been nice, I wouldn't know, I had trouble distinguishing them from the background, both done in generally dark and gloomy colors. The 3D effects I think peeved everyone off because, for the most part, they were sunk into the screen (as a post production cash-in move) rather than integrated into the full range of people's vision, which is what most people expect from premium 3D ticket prices. The spirit world was nicely done as a setting, but almost flippantly used; in the show, Aang had to be somewhere or do something special to get there. The narration was overdone and in some cases redundant - better dialogue would have sufficed for explanation of what was going on.

I think it's a shame that they skipped the Winter Solstice sequence (which would have showcased Aang's lack of training, Avatar Roku -whom I sorely missed-, and the spirit world) in favor of a Haru-less "Imprisoned". They could have shown the map, an Indiana Jones-esque traveling dotted line, and fan service clips of episode scenes fading across the screen to demonstrate the passage of time, Katara and Aang's practicing, Zuko's relentless pursuit, and the rekindling of hope that the Avatar's returned on the way to the northern Water Tribe (not to mention potential visual Sokka gags and supporting character cameos in the background), instead of just talking about it and cutting there. I also think that MNS was getting ahead of himself by making Aang have as much trouble with waterbending as he does with earthbending in the cartoon - it was unnecessary and time consuming. Also, kids never openly admit they've run away to random strangers (not that I know of, anyway), especially not kids with personal transportation and a culture of wandering; the penguin sledding question would have been much funnier and quirky, even if they decided to have Katara answer 'no' and leave its meaning to non-fan's imaginations. I much preferred the cartoon's version of why Aang ran away versus the movie's.

All in all, this was no "Lord of the Rings" nor "Bridge to Teribithia" nor "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe", but on the other hand it wasn't "Dragonball: Evolution" nor "Dragons of Autumn Twilight" nor "In the Name of the King" either. It was about par with "The Lightning Thief" or "Eragon" or "The Golden Compass"; movies with serious flaws, but not complete crap.

NoaNeumann

Oct 23, 2009
I am a fan of the series so when someone said they were going to make a movie I was like 'o.o a animated film!? Awesome!' but then when I heard it was going to be live action I frowned and realized it was M. Night and was even sadder. This series which lets face it saved Nick's ass, has been dumbed down by the crappy acting, rushed plot and over reliance on special effects.

I'm on Rotten Tomatoes and people were giving me such crap for saying that I knew this movie was going to suck and well hey I am kinda of sad to see I was right about this one and feel as though thanks to that now crappy director that this series which could have made people interested in the animated series may have in fact drove some people away.

But in the end it is really up to who is going to be buying the most tickets and since a lot of tweens and younger kids (twerps) loved the animated series their probably going to be lining up and making their poor parents pay good money to see this crap and SURPRISE! It's in 3D!.. but not actually since it was 'made' into 3D 'after' the film was done which sucks.

Vecan

Mar 16, 2010
I kinda want to see it but... I think it would have been better if they split it up into 2 or maybe even 3 movies per book...

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
hmmm Bob seems to be quite forgiving as of late

oh well, there are still some well-reviewed/said to be excellent movies in theater I still need to watch first this summer before I get bored

...tho by then I may be out of money for movies lol

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
Wow! Double review this week! I think The Last Airbender is good. Bad thing is it ain't my priority. :p

Antacid

Apr 10, 2010
When an action-epic fantasy movie is released in a cut around 90 minutes long, it's because they realised they'd screwed up udirng post-production and cut out everything possible to reduce the amount of FX require and cram in the most screenings per day during the opening weekend.

Oh and M. Night has always been a terrible, static director and Sixth Sense only works at all because it of the one twist, which doesn't even hold up to serious analysis on repeat viewings.

secrethitmen

Apr 17, 2009
I was with you until you said the Harry Potter series started getting good with the third movie. I still don't understand why the majority appears to be fond of the third movie. I can't stand the thing, and while I'll admit that the third book is my favorite, so I'm probably biased, I found barely anything redeeming about that movie. *grumbles*

OBZ

Mar 21, 2010
Once again: review "Unthinkable." By the way, "Unbreakable" was the shit. I agree with you on that one.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
This movie made me realize how much of a geek I am. The actions weren't nearly as good as they could be, considering there was an entire dance routine just to make a rock float, the effects looked really pretty but there was no connection to the physical movements of the characters themselves, making it feel less like a martial arts connected telekinesis and more like some idiot flailing around while super powers happened to *****-slap all the enemies, the only fight scene that looks as good as it should is the one they show of Aang in the commercials. Nobody gets characterized nearly enough, they butchered the names, oh dear god they butchered the names...

The effects look really cool on their own but have no connection with anything else and the powers weren't nearly as badass as they should have been, the acting was horrid, and they did the opposite thing that comic book movies do and put too much of the plot into the story. I can tell you right now how they should have done it.

They failed to introduce characters I wanted in there, added some nobody cares about, added plot elements that were both unimportant and some that didn't need to be established until the next movie or the last one, gave only a passing mention to the biggest plot element of the entire series, screwed up character attitudes, misinterpreted the tone of the movie (levity) except for two scenes that even the actors seemed confused by it.

I swear I've never found it harder to keep my mouth shut in the middle of a movie theater, and I wasn't doing that good a job of doing so. It's worth a rent, especially for fans, but just because it's so unbelievably frustrating that you're going to have to yell at it. This is the movie that made me want to be a director just to show this furker how to do and choreograph powers right.