Escape to the Movies: The Lego Movie

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
hehehehehehehehehhehehehehehheheheheheheheheheheh

I stopped at 1:15, I just got back from the theater. BEST MOVIE since the Princess Bride. I swear the comedy and the heart felt moments are perfectly balanced. Also, Liam Neeson plays good cop/bad cop and is heliariously awsome as well.

If Liam Neeson does not convince you, I will be a sad man.

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
I just got back from watching The Lego Movie. Ahem.

*pushes up glasses* (sneering)

I liked The Lego Movie when it was called Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo,

OK, just wanted to get that out of my system. No, I really liked this movie.

The Spaceman, Wizard and Bad Cop delivered the best comedy, I don't know why I couldn't stop laughing at that chair gag. I got caught up in it. The focus of the story revolved around creativity. How people become creative, and the role "uncreative" and creative people take in each others lives. I was thought provoked that

The Son saw his Dad as a 'Special', despite only followed the instructions like the Construction Worker at the beginning of his character arc. The antagonist and protagonist mirrored each other to an extent that I think The Dad was meant to be represented by the Worker and President Business.

The message "Don't put up signs that discourage people from playing with your stuff" was just gravy.

The only downside was that the humor grated at times. Old memes are not funny. There were also some skits that resembled "Robot Chicken." The visual gags were all good, the writing is very hit and miss.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
This is one of the rare movies I saw long before even watching Bob's review of it. I knew when I saw the first trailer that I would love this movie, and I ended up loving it a lot more than I even thought I would.

I'm commenting because I just wanted to point out how funny I think it is that MovieBob references the Joseph Campbell stuff because I'm currently taking a World Myth class at school, and one of our extra credit opportunities is to go see a modern movie, and write a paper discussing how the main character does go through the formula for being a proper hero character.

So yeah, I'm going to be writing a college paper about our good friend Emmet here, and I thought that was kinda neat :p

Onto my other favorite part with Bob's reviews...I'm missing the Vision joke. Did Marvel announce something that I missed? The last thing I remember hearing was the woman from Lost might be playing The Wasp come Ant-Man.

And as for the new Sonic...eh, at this point, I applaud Sonic trying to be different. It's not like current Sonic trends have been helping it. It's a bit weird to see Knuckles as a brute rather than the more Samurai/Shaman like guy we're used to seeing him, and Sonic's neck also kinda being a scarf is...weird, but whatever. I have no major quarrels with the new Sonic right now.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I just came back from watching it and overall it's good but not excellent.
I find it a shame that there was no Bionicle cameo per say but I guess I should be content that they even shown an image of it in the first place (it was when Wyldstle mention the other Lego realm) of out of the many other Lego set that didn't get shown at all.

It's no suprised that real life people were involve once you seen the relic room and the super weapon. I actually find the "child imagination vs perfect construct" to be relatable as there probably are real Lord Business out there. In fact there is a mature Lego set which I'm pretty sure is aim for adult only (you build lego version of iconic buildings like the Opera Sydney House. I don't kno why but I was suprise that it was Will himself playing as the kid dad althought I thought the kid was Emmet.

Also, seriously dubstep in a kid movie??? I'm referring to the full version of that main music theme!

Lastly, I want Unikitty now! Shame she isn't part of those bling bag figures they got for the movie.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Lastly, I want Unikitty now! Shame she isn't part of those bling bag figures they got for the movie.
There are 5 different versions of Unikitty to be found in the Lego Movie Lego sets. (of course mainly just the insanely expensive ones)

Regular Unikitty - Comes in a moderately cheap set Cloud Cuckoo Palace for around $20. (This also has Emmett and Wildstyle so it's a decent all encompassing set for the price)

Bizness Kitty - Comes in the Lord Business Evil Lair set. which is around $80 USD

Astrokitty - Blue wearing a space suit, comes in Benny's SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP! which will be out later this summer. Probably over $100. Huge classic space style ship.

AngryKitty - Comes in Emmetts Construction Mech, which will proabbly be around $80-90. also out this summer.

QueesyKitty - Green and puking seasick kitty, comes in Metalbeards Sea Dog Pirate Ship. Which is beyond huge. Current price guesses say probably somewhere around $250 US.

Urameshi13

Jan 18, 2011
I do like how they skewered the Chosen One trope, but it very nearly became the even worse Everyone is Special trope. However, I think it dodged that particular Lego brick to head by having other "specials" get off their duffs and do something.

Also, I don't think Arnett was going for a takedown of Super Serious Bats, just a spoof.

If there is one thing this movie did come off the top rope at, it's mindless consumerism.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I just got back from seeing The Lego Movie and, yes, everything in that movie is AWESOME! As Brad Jones mentioned in his midnight review, this is truly a love letter to one's childhood as well as fans of Lego. But it also sneaks in comedic jabs at the "chosen one" story we've seen before many times and other movies based on things from our childhood that take themselves way too seriously these days. Arnett's Batman is a well-needed break from the too cool for school Batman we've gotten in the New 52 and in the Nolan movies. Don't get me wrong, I like the Nolan Batman movies but there comes a point where you have to look at this and say "This is based on a comic book, people. It's not all serious all the time."

The rest of the cast is amazing with Morgan Freeman and Will Ferrel offering some major laughs. And this is coming from a guy who's never cared for Will Ferrel to begin with. The animation is outstanding to a point where it left me asking myself "Is this stop-motion with bits of CGI or some of the best CGI in decades?" Either way, someone deserves an Oscar for this. There is so much to talk about this movie but I do not want to spoil anything. But I will mention there was a cameo or two that left me dumbstruck. I'm sure you will know what it is. ;)

The Lego Movie is the kind of kids movie that puts the piss poor quality of the Smurfs and The Nut Job to absolute shame. I want someone to force Michael Bay to watch this and tell him "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PUT SOME FUCKING PASSION AND ACTUAL EFFORT INTO A MOVIE!" The Lego Movie has passion, effort, a heart, a soul, a sense of humor. Hate to go back to my point, but it is AWESOME!

As for Vision now popping up in Avengers 2, I'm starting to think Marvel is just dicking with DC Comics. I hope this is not putting too much in one movie and leaving only scraps for other characters.

Also, the tape on the new Ninja Turtles from the Nick animated series make sense than on the new Sonic team. The only time tape should be covering your shoes is because they're falling apart and you're too broke to get new ones.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
It was a really fun movie. Good recommendation Bob. I did stop the video and run out to see it.

It certainly isn't my favorite of animated films (Up, How to Train Your Dragon, Shrek, and a few others still top the list), but it's a solid entry and made better at the way it mocks blockbuster appropriations of childrens' toys like Bob says.

That being said, I also certainly don't think Holywood is necessary doing anything poorly by making these childhood favorites grow up along with the audience. There's no shortage of animated Batman/Superman/Spiderman movies that hold their own for children. Why shouldn't there be more mature versions of them for the people who grew up loving them but also grew up into people who enjoy more complex and mature themes like most adults do.

I mena, if you're going to get mad at studios for appropriating those titles, be mad because they ruined them (I'm looking at you, Transformers), not because they changed them.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
faefrost said:
Scarim Coral said:
There are 5 different versions of Unikitty to be found in the Lego Movie Lego sets. (of course mainly just the insanely expensive ones)

Regular Unikitty - Comes in a moderately cheap set Cloud Cuckoo Palace for around $20. (This also has Emmett and Wildstyle so it's a decent all encompassing set for the price)

Bizness Kitty - Comes in the Lord Business Evil Lair set. which is around $80 USD

Astrokitty - Blue wearing a space suit, comes in Benny's SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP! which will be out later this summer. Probably over $100. Huge classic space style ship.

AngryKitty - Comes in Emmetts Construction Mech, which will proabbly be around $80-90. also out this summer.

QueesyKitty - Green and puking seasick kitty, comes in Metalbeards Sea Dog Pirate Ship. Which is beyond huge. Current price guesses say probably somewhere around $250 US.
Yeah I had look her up, I'm not willing to buy the whole set just for that character only (if I were to picked the set, it would be the normal one since that is the smallest and cheapest set) since unlike those two characters, I'm not into Lego as I used to be nor do I have the space to place the set too.
The only alternative is they do got her as a light up (horn) keyring figure but again I'm not too keen on having her as a light up figure either.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
So after seeing Moviebob's review and noting the scores it has received on Rotten Tomatoes, I figured this was a homerun when I took my wife to it.

Holy shit, was I wrong. This movie is a boring piece of shit and I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone seeing all the praise for it. Awesome, it's deconstructing tropes commonly used in movies. I got it the first time! You don't need to bludgeon me to death with the "We're being cheeky and breaking all the rules!" club over and over because, around the 50th time, that becomes an insulting trope as well. The movie could have redeemed itself if it had been humorous, but most of the jokes were like someone took the non-sequiturs from Family Guy, made them even less witty, and just made a whole movie out of them with legos. Part of me thinks this film tried to get by through pandering to every fanboy possible with some shoe-horned in-joke or reference for every different group as often as possible. Batman worked well, the scene where a certain space ship shows up was actually funny in addition to cashing in on a nerd response(it contained literally the only TWO moments in the movie that had me laughing out loud), and the ending was very touching. Besides that, it was complete garbage and I can't understand how anyone enjoys this mess. I also get the feeling that the vapid and shallow song from the beginning that is meant to ultimately be a part of the commentary in the film is going to unironically catch on, just like the rest of the film. 3/10. What the fuck...

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Two thumbs way up for this movie. That pretty much goes without saying. I was expecting fun, something on par with Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs or Wreck It Ralph, both of which I greatly enjoyed. What I just got done watching was so much better than I'd expected.

Mr. Q said:
The Lego Movie is the kind of kids movie that puts the piss poor quality of the Smurfs and The Nut Job to absolute shame. I want someone to force Michael Bay to watch this and tell him "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PUT SOME FUCKING PASSION AND ACTUAL EFFORT INTO A MOVIE!"
This crossed my mind, too. I'd expected everything about the movie except for the very narrow beam focus of the ending. I've had a blast laughing with my family about our favorite lines and scenes, but honestly that third act was not aimed at the kids. It was square at the parents and (IMHO) at folks making a buck off of nostalgia toy movies in general.

ShadowHamster said:
WE GET IT! YOU HATE THE MOVIE SO WHY THE FUCK(wish I could emphasize this more) do we STILL have to hear about it! SEVEN! MONTHS!!!
*eyebrows raise* Because it was exactly that bad. I assume Movie Bob uses it as his go-to for the same reason I do - because it is, to date, the worst example of its kind. I'm sure when something else comes along which is worse then he'll start citing that. Until then, well, why wouldn't he keep calling it out for what it is?

Please note that I am only speaking up because your comment was so vociferous. I'd hate for it to go uncontested and be perceived as the norm.

KR4U55

Mar 12, 2012
You know the movie is great when the reviewer asks you to stop the video.

I knew the Justice League was going to appear recently and I expected the movie to be a terrible money-grabber, but I guess I'll have to eat my words. I'll watch it this weekend.

About the JL, I'm happy it's more Silver Age, a reminder of the days of crazy superhero adventures, before the brooding and angst.

feycreature

May 6, 2009
Man, I very dimly remember the big fancy sets, but what I mostly -had- was random bricks. I got a ridiculous pastel-coloured beach house set once....which I promptly made into a spaceship. Still, I was greatly curious about whether this was any good and it is now firmly on the to-see list.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Just saw this movie, and HOLY COW is it brilliant! No seriously, it's a whole lot more brilliant then a lot of people are giving it credit for! Check it out, and ESPECIALLY bring your kids!

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
The fact that Chris Miller always seems to get away with these oddball, original, and objectively good things makes it all the more bizarre that Clone High never went beyond one season.

I loved that show.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Huh. I'm tempted to see this simply because of the stop-motion animation that looks far, far better then the bland CGI I expected them to use.