Escape to the Movies: The Muppets

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
I really hate Disney for not releasing it in the UK until February.

It's like they actively want it to be pirated.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'd love to see this movie, especially with my younger cousin who is just learning of their existence... I really gotta watch the original "Muppet Show" too, just have to find the DVDs or something...

Rednog said:
Wait, so a human and a muppet are brothers....did their father happen to be masturbating into a sock and somehow it spawned the muppet child?
Someone please explain in what twisted logic this makes sense?
My guess is that he was adopted. Makes sense, doesn't it?

---

Also, fuck SOPA. As if I needed MORE reasons to hate big businesses...

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
CronoT said:
I went to go see it opening day, and it was worth it. All the humor and kitsch was there, and the funniest parts for the adults was the constant 4th Wall jokes.

Also, while it is admittedly creepy that a grown man in his 30's went to go see this by himself, all the kids I saw in the audience LOVED it. Also, the Moopets (small spoilers) being "made for today" by being edgy and cynical, while the Muppets keeping their whimsical charm and innocence is a great commentary on Children's Entertainment. Also, the comment on today's excuse for children's TV was SPOT ON.
Yup I gotta agree with you 100%

It was a lot clever than I expected it to be.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
Not for nothing, Bob, but the character's name it "Walter". Yes, I know "Walt" is a shortened form of "Walter" but at no point in the film did they call him "Walt" (at least not that I can recall) and at one point he's wearing a uniform with a "Walter" name tag on it.

I took my kids to see this yesterday. I loved it, my 12-year-old said she liked it. My 6-year-old starts to get fidgety about half-way through any movie but he seemed to dig it.

And no mention of the Toy Story short before the feature? I loved it! Buzz Lightyear getting stuck inside a fast food restaurant while being replaced by his Happy Meal-like replica and sitting through a group-therapy session for discarded/forgotten Happy Meal toys? Brilliant! And I liked the nod to an actual Disney license/character "Condorman", which the young folk would likely miss.

Feb 13, 2008
How awesome are the Muppet Show/Sesame Street with their guests?

Secretary General of the US [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxqzWweOSbU]

Vincent Price [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBnk4U-Pggg]
(If you don't know who he is, shame on you. Listen to the laugh at the end of Thriller)

Julie Andrews [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjSjB-3xPVM]

Paul Simon [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4-TmrWz2I4]

John Denver [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH5fuGcRuag]

Not to mention Milton Bearle, Steve Martin, Peter Sellers, Alice Cooper (as shown), Kylie Minogue....

A legend.

Statler: Do you believe in life after death?

Waldorf: Every time I leave this theater.
Booked.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
So, will you Americans be changing your national anthem? That whole "Land of the Free" line will be a load of crap if they pass the SOPA bill, after all.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I was ready to cry if this was bad. I really was. That reminds me, I'm going to have to watch The Muppets' Christmas Carol soon. And then maybe a few more times for good measure.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Random berk said:
So, will you Americans be changing your national anthem? That whole "Land of the Free" line will be a load of crap if they pass the SOPA bill, after all.
Oh snap. Maybe they ought to adopt the "America, fuck yeah" song from Team America? I mean, if I get this right, the United States of America apparently has jurisdiction over the internet, which is in and of itself a british invention and is these days actually international? Because if that's the case, this is even more scary.

Jan 27, 2011
Rednog said:
Wait, so a human and a muppet are brothers....did their father happen to be masturbating into a sock and somehow it spawned the muppet child?
Someone please explain in what twisted logic this makes sense?
oh shit. ...oooooh shit....

BRB, need to burn some socks....

Daveman said:
Movie rule no. 1:
Muppet version of movie >>> original version of movie
proof = muppet treasure island.

that movie was AMAZING.

here's hoping this movie leads to "the three muppeteers", and other muppetized movie spoofs. those were always fun. :p

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
"According to TV Tropes"? Good to know you've found a reliably credible source there, Bobbo.

Personally, i've always found the muppets to be very creepy on the same level that circuses are creepy - it's like a glorification of the bizarre, the downright insane at times, and the surreal. I don't like it, i find it uncomfortable and jarring, and almost disturbing. I've always said circuses were like the embodiment of manic depression and i get the same feeling from the muppets, especially when it combines the real world with the surreal one and being totally self aware about it. Brr.

In regard to SOPA, i honestly think people shouldn't get their feathers so ruffled up about it. In a world where we have unlimited freedom of expression and an emphasis on the rights of the individual and the consumer, i can't possibly see such a hilariously cartoonish bill ever passing or being taken seriously. Sorry. Even if it does pass, having such a broad definition will work both ways - media companies such as the Escapist or IGN would contest the censorship, and in a court of law would simply state the broad definition of the act, and quite easily be able to circumvent it as a result. We already have very strict terms of agreement regarding tampering with hardware, and yet you get jokers like GeoHotz who get off pretty much scot free despite being in violation of some pretty clear ToS. If that's happening now, how on earth is something so flimsy supposed to hold up in court? Really, this act won't affect the average consumer. These companies aren't stupid - they know people with footage of their product on youtube or whatever is free advertising. This act isn't aimed at them. It's aimed at the people who blatantly abuse their product and people who condone this behaviour. Although to be frank, i just don't see it passing anyway. America tends to make a stink about these wacky bills that get put forward, but really, i just don't see it making any sort of impact. Everyone will just laugh it off and forget about it a year from now. That's not to say i'm in favour of SOPA, i just think we should have a bit of perspective about it.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Hopefully this will bring back some of the goodwill I'd lost towards the Muppets over the past few years. Muppets Wizard of Oz and Muppets Letters to Santa were awful films.

Muppets From Space, Muppet Treasure Island and Muppet Christmas Carol however, awesome movies.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Mr.Squishy said:
Random berk said:
Oh snap. Maybe they ought to adopt the "America, fuck yeah" song from Team America? I mean, if I get this right, the United States of America apparently has jurisdiction over the internet, which is in and of itself a british invention and is these days actually international? Because if that's the case, this is even more scary.
Is this bill not being passed by the United States government to deny access to sites deemed inappropriate, or with content that they feel violates copyright? For example, ever listened to a fanmade music video on Youtube? If you have some additional information that you can prove me wrong with then by all means, post it and clarify the situation for me. Just hold back on the snarky bullshit if you can manage it.

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
V TheSystem V said:
yellowhead said:
I'm so jealous of America right now. I live in the UK and we have to wait until FEBRUARY to see the movie! :'(
Wait...FEBRUARY?! I thought it was at the end of December!
Nope, I'm from the Netherlands, and it won't be in cinemas until February. I'm sorry to say this, but I'm just going to download the film. Their fault for making it come out 3 MONTHS late.

And don't worry, I'll still see it in cinema when it finally gets here, so I can introduce my friends to the awesomeness that is The Muppets.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
I'm glad to know it's good, though I didn't really doubt it. Basically because the muppets are vilt-wrapped awesome in a box. They almost HAVE to be funny. And awesome.

Have I mentioned that the muppets are awesome yet?

Well they are.

Awesome that is.

Awesome

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
An easy reason for me to become obsessed with Gonzo and Fozzie again? Sure, I'll take it.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
Man I have to wait until January for The Muppets to come to Australia. I'm going to take my nephew to see it and I can't wait to see it.